Masters Running

Sun 8/30 Runs - Workouts - or What Not (Read 361 times)

Another November-in-August morning here, with temps around 50, low gray clouds, and a stiff breeze, but that's not that bad for running, right? Ran 8.2 strong-feeling miles at about a 9:20 average with significant negative splits (helped by running 4 miles out slightly uphill and into the wind, then turning around for the advantage). I wore a long-sleeve shirt for the first time in months, and actually could have stood to put on some light gloves. Oh well, maybe it'll warm up for Labor Day.

I hope the weekend racers are doing well (or have already done so by the time I post this). Keep up the good running, folks!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

evanflein

Some awesome runs already today! Of course, it's almost 2:30 pm on the East Coast as I type this. I was going to go out for 22-24 miles at around 9 am, but it rained hard all night, and it's still coming down. No rush to get out there in that, I tell ya! It's 47 degrees, too, so not a warm rain at all. I'm not a rain runner anyway, and considering today's run is on trails, well, I had enough mud yesterday. But today will be slow and easy, it's all about getting in the miles. We're all battling various crud and my cheek still hurts (feels like another abscess way up there, great) so nothing heroic planned today.

Holly, nice run, and I don't blame you a bit. DH has been sick for a few days, really icky stuff, and I'm keeping my distance and washing my hands a lot.

Tramps

Busy weekend.  Haven't had a chance to read closely and even forgot to post this morning.  Oops.

20 miler @ 8:42.  Thought I was going comfortably but seemed to run out of steam during mile 16 and the last three were tough ones. 

To their credit, Apple promptly sent a replacement for my still-under-warranty Shuffle, so I had some tunes for today's run.

Be safe. Be kind.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

pretty tired after Morning dip and cycle to local 10K as Iron buds are IM’ing up in Penticton.
          www.ironman.ca

Sorry tim, I didn’t know you were a road rashe., . .i mean racer too. 
          My 47x-IM bud Dr. Feman (78.) has never drafted in his life, . . .me either.but we don't road race

and don't get over 20 mph tri'ing either..

ETA: IMCa UPDATE -  Dr. F and Sister Madonna (79 who I got to run part of the marathon wtih in 1987) are their only AG entrants but but both beat the 2hr/20min swim cutoff by 50 minites.  Sadly one AG'er (66) died in the swim just as choppy waves were picking up that got my friend Duathlon Sylvia sick and throwing up to miss the cutoff. 

erkria - any of your area's famed golden yellow on the birches yet? 

Rain and 47 degrees should start to be doing it.

Too bad cold but better now that Equinox.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Afternoon, Folks -

Flu going around?  Yuck!  One of the things I'm leary of about my new job is there are a lot more people in the office, and many of them have kids which = sickness going 'round like wildfire.    Think I'll be doing a lot of handwashing, and will have to quit picking my nose as much.

Emailed Coach and told him about my run yesterday, and he said no workout today, I slept in 'til about 8:30 this morning, which rarely ever happens, and it felt really good.  I'm still really tired, but it was a relief to know I didnt' have to get up and run.  The Hub, who was suppose to be gone 'til Monday but came home last night, as me what I had planned for today.  As I was sitting on my duff in our oversized chair at the time, I said, "Yer lookin' at it," and except for watering, I don't plan on doing anything.  Except maybe napping, which sounds really good right now.

Also just got a phone message from my boss.  I had asked for Monday off since I was so damm tired on Friday, to which he had said yes as he was heading off for a massage.  Now he wants me to come in to work on getting the office set up.  So much for my planned day of some much needed flowerbed work.  I'm trying really hard not to be PO'd at the request, but considering how bad I feel right now, it's a losing battle.  I'll go in tomorrow, but I won't be happy about it, and I'm done lugging around boxes.

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday.  I'm off to take a nap.

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Will you be going down to Milwaukee for all of this?

I can't fathom NOT being there. I guess only four visitors are allowed in the NICU, and I've been on my best behavior to get on the A-list. With DIL's folks, My ex and his wife, my DH and I, we're a few over the limit. Plus, my DIL is real close to 4 sisters, so there's lots of competition for the spots. I'm planning on being down there for a few days regardless and have already asked for the time off work.

Wow, Holly. What a run you had this morning! I hope your DH is feeling better and that no one else gets it.

Lots of really great runs today. I hope everyone is taking it easy this evening.

I just had to give a quick report about the wedding we went to yesterday. It was in the woods in northern Wisconsin - a bluegrass wedding. It rained all day, the temps were around 50° with pretty good winds, and the whole event was planned to be outside, with no  "emergency backup plan" to cover bad weather. The bride and groom (he was dressed in black pants, a white shirt and black vest with skulls all over it) said their vows in front of "Wild Man," the internet-licensed preacher who looked like one of the guys from ZZ Top. It was an incredible experience - and the attire of some of the guests, unbelievable. My DH took lots of pictures and if they turn out I'll try to post some. The bluegrass band was outstanding, and everyone ate under tarps on "fine china" instead of plastic plates. Everyone had to bring their own drinks, lawn chair and a dish to pass. We were freezing and didn't stick around too long after the dinner but I can't wait to talk to my sister to find out how the rest of the evening went. There's a whole other world out there, people!

SteveP

Tim, If three sane people advise you to take it easy, then take it easy...fortunately, only runners post here.

I just had to give a quick report about the wedding we went to yesterday.- a bluegrass wedding   There's a whole other world out there, people!

Yesterday, I went to my first comic book convention. A guy in a Superman shirt picked a debate with me....Don't get me started.. The only Batman shirts that were available, I already had. It wasn't a waste of time though...I'm pretty flippin normal. Sheesh. I did see two other people in Batman shirts.

Today, Tag and I charted new territory. There was a tree stump that our tent would have fit in...I looked inside, and some one had stayed in there. Way kewl. Since it's in a cedar swmp, DW is not too interested in seeing it. We got back to the truck and Tag got into hide and seek mode. Then he wanted to play stick. After a bit, I threw it into the river. He ran out about knee deep. Turned, called me a "jerk" and came out all angry that he got his hair wet. 

SteveP

wildchild

Carolyn

Hey, SteveP, my DD got a cute Batman shirt at Kohls on our back-to-school shopping trip!  Must be an "in" look this year.

The dogs and I went for a nice easy 3 miler around the block. It's overcast and 55° and would be IRC except for the thunder in the distance.  We didn't stray too far from home just in case.  That put me over 30 miles for the week for the first time in about 6 weeks, and over 100 for the month. I think I like this cooler weather!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Nice runs by the Beers, Holly, Tramps and others.

Took the girls to the Dutchess County Fair today: spent too much, ate too much, got too much sun, but had a blast. Did an easy post-fair 8 miles, 1:11:46, 'bout 9m/m.

Walt

Maniac 505

Tim:

You are one tough dude!  After I got doored once I didn't consider riding again for a few days.  and I wasn't hurt nearly as bad as you.

Just got back from a week in Las Vegas,  no running. spent some time in the swiming pool.  Rebooted my life.  I have decided it is time to ramp my marathon training back up a bet and get my times down.  Probably can't find time to train hard enough to approach a PR but I hope to get well under 4 hours in the near future.  I may be asking thoughts on training around my work schedule in the near future.

Good runs all.

Dave

Henrun

Busy weekend here. DS came up from Brooklyn to catch the Sox game with me on Friday. Although they won, the rain delay had us leaving before the exciting 9th inning.    

This morning we all went for a run. DS did 2 miles with Marj and then she joined me for another 2 and I ended up with 5. He took off in the afternoon to do some off road cycling with a friend locally. Marj and I cycled along the Charles for a 19 miler.

For you gourmets, we grilled corn and chicken tonight. Went well with pesto pasta and a salad and red wine we had brought back from Niagara from our Canadian trip in June.

tselbs-thanks for asking about my knee. It's 98% better-I depend on Chondroitin/Glucosamine and quad strengthening exercises.

evanflein

22.5 miles, 10:07 avg pace. This is probably the toughest training run I have ever done. I'd planned to go 24, which would've meant going up to the 12 mile point on the Equinox trail, then back to the start. I got to 11.4, just as another really steep part was starting, and I said hell with it and turned around. It was so muddy, and my legs were so tired from the start, I just couldn't face any more uphill climbing. Ran back down the road instead of the trail, stopped several times to contemplate continuing on or taking one of several short cuts I could've taken. The only thing that got me thru this run is my considerable stubborn pig-headedness. I did wonder a few times if I was getting any real training benefit from continuing, but figured this was just the devil sitting on my left shoulder telling me to quit.

Just as I was congratulating myself for not falling at all the usual places I trip and fall on this run, BOOM I tripped on a root just before the 3 mile mark (on the way back, so after 19 miles) and down I went hard on my right hip and shoulder (Oh goodie, my bad side!). I stopped my Garmin as I lay on the ground, got up and immediately checked my Boston jacket carefully for tears. I'd have been so pissed if I'd torn it!! It was ok, and for once I didn't land in dog crap, just roots, dirt and moss. I did a lot of walk breaks the last few miles as well as up the big hills. I was sooo glad to see DH waiting for me at the student rec center when I was done. He had chocolate milk, bananas, coffee and pretzels waiting for me! Yum.

Here's the elevation, don't look at my pace it's all over the place. Steady rain all last night and today, windy, cool at 48 at the start, 51 at the end. I had to have DH open my chocolate milk cuz my hands just didn't work anymore.

Absolutely fantastic run, Erika!!

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mariposai

Erika, you are going to own that Equinox trail. Wow.

Great runs around here today. Sorry I have been so busy to be able to enjoy the happenings here...but I have you all in my heart.

The Posie family is visiting DC this week. It is great to have the whole clan with me during this visit. I will be seating at meetings all week long, but at least the Posie boys will have fun visiting this amazing city. Tonight we had a wonderful meal in Georgetown, what a great place to visit and eat. Had a great tasty meal at an Ethiopian restaurant. Wow...a place were Hillary Clinton, The Bushes, Clint Eastwood, Colin Powell, Secretary Rice,and others had eaten. Wow...what a feast of the senses.

9 miles on the Washington Mall with several stops to help visiting families to take pictures for them. Plus 2x86 steps on the Lincoln Memorial Monument. I love DC...what strenght, what power, what fun.

Not sure how much run I will be able to do this week...but I am sure i will cherish every minute of it.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

SteveP

You must be very proud of DD, Wildchild.

SteveP