Masters Running

Wednesday, 1.4.17 (Read 37 times)

Me too!  I always thought it was Space City!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

..me too..........

tramps//.......not like OLD Old.....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Howdy Do,  Everyone!  Happy 2017!!  I'm know I'm little late on that, but better late than never, right?

The last 2 weeks have been incredibly hectic, but we were able to spend Christmas with my family for the first time in 6 years, and at the office we made it through to the December 30 deadline without killing each other.  Last was incredibly hectic, but by Friday all our applications were submitted and I went home at 1:30.

I haven't been able to run much for almost 3 weeks due to a bad right hammy issue, but I finally figured out that lots of foam and lacrosse ball rolling before and after a run and doing heat/ice in the evening helps.  I've run 2x this week!  And today it was in the rain!  I thought about 2Kitty, too, and chuckled to myself.  Unfortunately, I won't have the mileage under my belt I wanted for my first ultra in February, but oh well.  I think not being under so much stress at work is going to be helpful, too.

The Hub and I have vowed to eat better in 2017, especially him, so I won't tell him today is National Spaghetti Day.  He's cutting himself off of cold cereal and ice cream for awhile, and I'm telling ya, that's HUGE!  Like a lot of recovery alcoholics, he replaced alcohol with sugar - mostly in the form of those two things.  There is a little bit of lemon bundt cake left that I made over the weekend, but once that's gone, it's time to knuckle under.

Hopefully with my life getting back to some semblance of normal will help me get in here more often.  I miss you all.

Have a great week ~~

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

flats not sure if I will end up celebrating national spaghetti day. We have a ton of leftovers in my house and none are pasta.

Dave59 if you are bored waiting for your software to check out you can watch my software run and let me know when it is finished. Just call my cell. They have coverage out at the nature preserve. At least I think they do . . . 

coastwalker you mean some people do not stick with their go to the gym and get some exercise new year resolution! 

Jlynne you have a refrigerator to store food in. That does not mean you should never go out to eat. Word is NBC is offering her less. Just a schedule and set of shows she prefers to do. I suppose if you are offered $15 million to yak on TV the value of another $5 million might not be much.

Tramps a similar themed song is You Call it Jogging. Very cute song.

Holly S. if you recall House is a drug addict. He is also a nasty SOB. I hope you do not feel too much like House! 

rochrunner I was here during the holiday! Now I am staring at a screen as values pass by telling me my computer code is working on a problem. Yawn.

stumpy77 +1, well by now +2. Make that +3. Err. +4, +5, +6.  Really, does the whole group have a reading problem? Normally it is just me.

mrrun because the weather is behind on its cellular bill? 

StarrRuns I know a guy that uses the term volunteer for such plants. I always thought he made it up!

fatozzig bad, bad runner. Bad runner. "No running in the rain!"©

SteveP I am pretty sure that is NOT going to be on my running tune list! I do agree, Father John Misty is a bit low key for running. I still quite like his music for most other activities.

evanflein have them haul some stuff out of my DW office while they are at it! Please!!!

Mariposai the fan club is not going all running skirt! No, no, no!

deez4boyz actually, the relay is a great training run! No seriously. No smileys, no nothing. I am dead serious. I have a marathon in Melbourne in October. I am using the relay to help train for it and you can bet your bottom dollar that there is no way in you know where I want to risk getting hurt. But, there is no better way to get in a series of tempo runs that really, really help with a marathon's distance. It worked great for me this year too when I ran Indianapolis.

TammyinGP fly away, fly away! Go south. South I tell you!

enkephalin so how did day 4 of the steak go? I like mine rare. Streak? Not steak? How disappointing. 

runr_nut run south. Easier that way. Until you stop. Then you need a cab. How is your town for cabs?

C-R that was a cheap and easy cure! I wish all pet ailments could be so easily cured.

Today was running with my training partner day. But today she met me at my house! That meant I was in charge of the route. No, let us do 6 miles which are always 8. I said 7 and the route was 7. Heh! There is a house along the route that has very neat star decorations in a tree. You have to get there near dawn or their lights go out. For once I remembered that I wanted to get a picture of it lit up.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

at the office we made it through to the December 30 deadline without killing each other.  

I was wondering about that....

Twocat - nice star tree, and the house behind it isn't bad, either.

On the home front, I am grateful to say that Dexter seems to have improved quite a bit. Honestly, when I took him to the vet yesterday morning, I didn't think he would be coming home with me, then or ever, he was in such bad shape, but this evening he is almost back to normal.  Maybe a pinched nerve in his neck that was alleviated by the anti-inflammatories?  We may never know, but I am keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't return.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Yay Dexter!

Day 4 of my streak, not steak.

Since I only did a wimpy 2.2 miles yesterday, I thought I would make up for it and do 4 miles today.  I am faster than the first 2 days of the streak, but I think I should slow up some as the miles accumulate and my legs get tired.  I want to average 3 miles a day until I feel like I can do more.  I might work it out so that I hit 100 for the month, which would be an average of 3.23 miles per day, which seems doable.  It's getting easy to get out there - mentally I know I have to do it every day, like brushing my teeth or eating, so the mental hurdle of deliberating on whether or not to run is just not there.  And knowing I can "bail out" and just do one mile if I am not "feeling it" is nice too.  I mean seriously, who is going to go to the trouble to bundle up, and only do one mile?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

pfriese

No run for me today (as planned), s0 end of my 3 day run streak. I did have a nice swim this afternoon at the gym. The gym was full of resolutioners but the pool had a couple of lanes open.

Paul

spacityrunner

Ok, you all just cracked me up with this space city stuff...thanks for the chuckle (sometimes I read it as space city also) 

2 miles on the west mountain trails tonight.  that was all I could handle.  

Tramps I still talk about the race we did together oh so long ago.  Its like a badge of honor to me 

Trails Rock!

flats

turtle runner eximious

4+ for me. I wanted to punch the jackass on the TM next to me. He was on his cell phone the entire time, NOT using his indoor voice. We were are also 10 feet away from a sign that says "No Cell Phones". I am still mad, he ruined my workout.

Michael

catwhoorg

Labrat

6 and change at lunchtime and a brisk 8 miles on the bike after work.

Got to keep post-work workouts short for now, at least until baby boy is a bit bigger..

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Good news about Dexter, Holly.

enke--that is exactly how I approach my workouts, as well.  When I am scheduled for a run--I know I have to run--and that's it.  When I feel like crap, I'll give myself permission to bail at any time, but I have rarely done it.  I have had some of my best runs when I had to force myself out the door.  So--good for you!  Keep it up!

Yes, Tramps--8 kids.  When Debbie (my DW) and I met, I was raising my 3 kids and she was raising her 3--we married and became to "Brady Bunch".  Then, we had 2 together and become "Eight is Enough."  We also have 18 grandkids (10 from my 1st 3 and 8 from Debbie's 1st 3) and 1 great grandkid (from Debbie's side).  I'm not sure there was ever a TV show about that...except for Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom, maybe.

Anyway, I did 6 miles on the treadmill.

Okay--that's all I got.  See ya!

5.5 cold blustery miles for me tonight. Funny I was expecting a full gym last night when I went to yoga but the place was about empty. I looked to be only 5 people working out and only 2 of us in the yoga class. Must be the resolution crowds went some where else.

Hope everyone had good runs today!

Clark

janie b good

so, my new year's resolution-- run more-- has not gotten off to such a great start.  my bad cold turned into an even worse cold.  ended up staying home from work today.  pretty sure the couch put a spell on me-- doesn't like the idea that i won't be spending as much time with him as usual; determined to keep me down.  almost time for my nyquil.

goodness is its own reward; for more tangible outcomes, you need to try badness.

janie b good

janie's confession--  i only ran 9 times last year.  NINE.  i feel so pathetic.  i could make lots of excuses, but will spare everyone the details.  i will say that i ran a 5k with my DD the weekend before thanksgiving, and thought i was going to DIE.  Pre-race, DD asked if i thought i could run a 10 min/mile, and i said, Oh for sure, I can do that!, so we lined up with the 10:00 pacer ... but oy!, i was not even close to being able to keep up (13:00 min/mile average).  and then my DD uninvited me from running the turkey trot with her cause i was "too slow"... two years ago, i could run circles around her.  circles, i tell you!

oh, and if that wasn't depressing enough, i gained ten pounds in 2016.  TEN.  and i'm not that tall.  at all.

goodness is its own reward; for more tangible outcomes, you need to try badness.

Mariposai

so, my new year's resolution-- run more-- has not gotten off to such a great start.  my bad cold turned into an even worse cold.  ended up staying home from work today.  pretty sure the couch put a spell on me-- doesn't like the idea that i won't be spending as much time with him as usual; determined to keep me down.  almost time for my nyquil.

I hear yah sistahhh. I have been with the nasty bug for 10 days and counting. It does get better, but it sure is hard.

Don't worry, the miles will come...we are so happy you are posting again. We missed you.

Well it was -12 today here, weird weather pattern, but I did managed 6 miles on the TM at home after work. Then it was coming upstairs to cook a warm soup for the homeless shelter.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard