Masters Running

book born to run. slide presentation in Seattle (Read 257 times)

Maniac 505

A friend loaned me this book,  Anyone read this one?  I found it fascinating.  A few years ago Sounder, Tet and I saw a slide show and presentation by Uber Ultra runner Scott Jurek on some runs and a 2006 race with the Tarahumara Indians in the copper canyons of Mexico.  about 1/2 this  book  covers this race, (and how close they came to dying just trying to get to the race).  the rest mostly covers some of the info in Bernd Heinrich's book "why we run" in less detail but maybe a little more readable. 

It's amazing this race happened.  this book shows how very many ways it could have derailed.

anyway.  I have asked for Tuesday off from work. 

For all the Seattleites here,  "Caballo Blanco" will be giving a slide show and presentation (and a run if you can keep up) at the Seattle running company on Tuesday.  He put together the race featured in the book.  he was a major player in the book.  He is the mythical creature the author heard about and tried hard to find.  He moved amongst the shy and private Tarahumara indians and lived in their world for maybe 10 years now.  they lived in caves and ate mice, and they thought he was strange.

and if you google Caballo Blanco, you can see he is still offering tours and races amongst the indians.  You better read the book before you sign up so you know what you are getting in to.

The Man called Horse

TammyinGP

I haven't read that but I think that's one of the books my friend, Laura, recently bought and is reading. She'll pass it on to me next.

Sounds real interesting though! I can't wait to read it.   Today she loaned me "The Extra Mile" and "Running Through the Mile" and then said she wants us to run an ultra today. I laughed at her and told her I not only have Zilch desire to run an ultra, but I'm not an overachiever like her, so will not be running at any time . . . but I'll read the books! LOL

Tammy

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Dave - 

thanks for the Tarahumara perspective on McDougal's "Born to Run."  Maybe I'll try to make up for missing the Tuesday talk by getting a copy to read on another ultra-flight coming up for tomorrow.

I have it wrong but, if not, I'm not surprised about the Tarahumara connection though because the commentary on runningbarefoot.org is mentioning how barefoot ted's running down there in the local version of what I've got to know as the waraji straw sandals in Japan had some influence on the author's view of the role (or non-role) of shoes in running. s running.

Maybe if there's a chance you could find out at the talk if the Tarahumara's ever ran barefoot.  I'm thinking not as they had their huaraches andk when they needed some spares when entering some Rocky Mountain races some years ago, cut up a discarded tire they found. 

Maybe Barefoot Ted and Leah'll be at the run too.

thanks,

ps -

\

You doing anything before Seattle (or Ghost?).

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Maniac 505

Jon,  nothing for me before Seattle.

I suspect the Turahamara always had there huaraches,  Leather until they started finding discarded tires.

There are several pages of Barefoot Ted putting his head together with one of the Turahamara's while they try to redesign the sandals.

I did manage to get the day off from work so I will be there for the presentation.

Dave