Masters Running

Friday, 3.25.16 (Read 36 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thanks for the rant, and the PS, TW. Good workout.

Great, magical moon and sun run, RCG. Thanks for all the moon song references. And thanks for donating blood.

I'm glad you got some of the magic around your workout too, Tet.

Have fun in SF with BE, Enke. You got some great suggestions about where to go and what to see and where to eat from other posters. Have a blast!

Nice run in some warmth, Holly. Are you backing off to 90 Easter eggs this year?

Busy day yesterday, Jlynne. Sorry about all the fresh snow.

Congrats on a minimal-pain run, Henrun, and have a great trip to NYC/Brooklyn and a good run across the bridge.

Great 15er, Mike! Sorry it hurt.

Good run, Mariposai. I hope you picked up some volunteers for your race.

Between you and your DW, Steve, it is indeed a good thing you have a truck!

I had my last evening meeting of the week last night, so tonight DW and I will finally be able to have dinner together. Last night's meeting included a presentation by some college engineering seniors who have been working on how to cross our salt marsh with a proposed rail-trail. It was a very buttoned-up presentation of some seemingly workable and affordable ideas including paved walkways, elevated boardwalks and vegetated banks and buffers.

I RW'd a 10K this morning in a wind-driven heavy mist/light drizzle and 36F temps. I started with an easy 13-min pace, and worked it down to 11:17 by the time I finished. Nice workout, even with the weather.

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

...thanks jay.......

just heard back from 4th hiking buddy,

how's this for a Hiking Tune-Up??

https://www.nps.gov/biso/learn/nature/twinarches.htm

Big South Fork

is a Lengendary Hike around here, 58-miles of trails.............ohboyohboy

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

mrrun

TW - looks like fun

Jay - thanks for recap

19 miler yesterday - took longer then i wanted, but i survived - about 9 miles into WIND! today went out for breakfast - haven't done that in awhile.  now, what to do with all the coffee we brewed??

happy w/e all!

marj

Dave59

The circle of life:

- Complain about work/stress - Drop off here for a while - Try to make a comeback - Complain about work/stress - Drop off - Try to make a comeback - etc.

So here I come again. And one week before the latest major project goes live so I will have a lot to complain about. 

Last week I got to go to Tallahassee and visit my daughter, son-in-law and the 2 grandkids.

I've been getting in a few miles here and there but I hope to get more consistent once we get past this new client start-up. I have to go to Long Island the first week of April to be on-site when things begin, so after that I'll run more (I hope.)

In a few minutes I plan to go to my usual spot, Barboursville Park, and run 3.

Today on my Argyle Sweater calendar there was this piece about SteveP's early years:

http://i63.tinypic.com/148d5cg.jpg

...Welcome back dave//.....we had assumed you were on a Secret Mission for The Government......

hopefully

it was OUR Government.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

wildchild

Carolyn

Jay,  I'd love to run on a boardwalk/rail trail through your marsh!  Assuming it didn't damage the marsh, of course!

TW - enjoy the 58  miles of trails!  Sounds wonderful.

Nice 19  miler, Marj.  Wind is tough!

Dave, welcome back!  Love the cartoon.

I went to the doctor yesterday to review the results of my MRI - it turns out it's a proximal tibial stress fracture, not a meniscus tear like he thought.  So I guess that's good news - it will get better on it's own, with no need for surgery or anything.  It's just tough to be patient while it's healing!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

buehrle good of you to give blood. On the down side you next run is going to be really tough! On the up side, you get to sort of find out what blood doping does over the next month as your body recovers!

tetsujin209 I would like to introduce you to the "." key. That little dot in the quotes, see it on the left there? Yes, that thing. Got it? Good. Now, if you look on your keyboard sort of on the lower right side you will see a key with a "." and likely a ">". Found it? Great! Every now and then when writing see if you can put it between words. Not just any words. Words between thoughts. Why you ask? Everyone here at RA who figured out what this meant in under 30 minutes please raise your hands.

Drove the five minutes to the Visitor Center where running down to Mary’s Falls through a lifting fog along the expansive sandy spits and beaches exposed during winter’s low waters with the full moon full moon setting over the misty blue glacier transformed the otherwise barren landscape into a magical wonderland to be topped off with a bonus of having half dozen mountain goats, two with kids, emerge from the trimline for morning breakfast on the newly-budding shrubs, bushes and blueberries on the rocky faces.

Yes, that is why the "." is a good idea.  Other than that, it sounds like a beautiful area to run in.

enkephalin enjoy your trip. You to see list looks pretty good to me!

Mike E 

Holly S. see if you can get some eggs from Jlynne. It would make getting to your 100 egg quota a lot easier.

evanfein I hate to ask, what do you consider warm?

Mariposai I hope all of your work publicizing the race gets you a record crowd this year.

SteveP you have a heart of gold. Now about those Batman costumes . . . 

Today is my last day here in Las Vegas.  Well it had to happen. Got up and ran 8 miles. I can see how putting together a marathon in Las Vegas is a challenge. The strip is pretty impressive. But outside of that the place is pretty unattractive. While we have been out here my DW and I have been discussing Easter dinner plans. Right now it looks like pumpkin and sausage soup to start. The a roast leg of lamb, colcannon, brussels sprouts and sauteed red cabbage. It sounds good from afar. Hopefully, it is not a lot more work than I think it will be.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

Marj - nice LR!

Jlynne - you are an awesome grandma.

SteveP - you are amazing!

Twocat - what time shall I arrive for Easter dinner?

Lazy day for me today, workout-wise - 3.5 miles in 36 windy degrees, followed by about 20 minutes of core and weights.

Happy Friday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Enjoy dinner with the boss tonight, Jay!

Nice 19 miler, Marj! Wind is one of my least favorite weather conditions, unless it's a tail wind, of course. Especially if it's a tail wind on a downhill. Now that is nice! Any other time? Nope, ah hates the wind.

Twocat, mid-to-upper 30's is getting warm, but I still need a headband because I get earaches so easily. Today will be in the low 40's, and that's definitely warm, but might still need the headband especially if there's any of that aforementioned dratted wind (not expected, but still). Mid-40's to 50's is about IRC, IMO. And BTW, I understood Tet's post completely. Nothing wrong with a little run on sentencing between friends! 

Carolyn, you don't often hear someone say "good news it's a stress fracture!" but I know what you mean. It should heal on it's own and you can gradually get back to it with little to no intervention or treatment other than <shudder> rest. And you've already been off it a few weeks, right? How much longer did the doc think it would take?

I have a beastly meeting coming up at noon that should last until 2 or so. Then some clean up details and out of here! I'm running home from work today, first time this season. Yay! There will be a few wet and/or icy spots, but on the drive home last night it looked like it should be pretty good for the most part. DS1 turns 24 tomorrow, and tonight we're going to Star Wars at our favorite movie dive/bar to celebrate!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

A. 2-mile morning run.
                      Rest of the sentence - with no mountain goats on the lower mountain slopes and a overnight clouds thwarting a repeat performance of yesterday’s full moon shimmering across the surface of the lake and the alpine-glow pink of the rising sun looking down from the majestic peaks of the snow-capped Seven Sisters so the only distractions along the way were hundreds of up-to-Titanic size icebergs in the lake, one with a bus-size granite bolder on it, that’d been calved off the glacier by the warming temperatures, the 1:47 it took for yesterday’s two mile round-trip to Mary’s Falls was abbreviated to 1:12 ".”

B. GS finally learns to swim.
                      Rest of the sentence - after a morning of Razor scootering downtown, climbing all 182 of the Harris Street stairs, rare lunch at the Big-Yellow-“M,” etc., all-of-a-sudden GS junked his life preserver in the afternoon at the pool not only to get up to dog-paddling all the way across the width of the pool just in time to qualify for next week’s Youth Level I swimming lessons but he also started diving down to the bottom of the pool to retrieve the six-inch diving sticks provided by the management “.”

ps enki - have fun in SF.

See you next year when you get done

with all the fun things there seem to be to do down there.

pps twocat - nice try “.”

ppps - has my DD been talking to you?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Carolyn, you don't often hear someone say "good news it's a stress fracture!" but I know what you mean. It should heal on it's own and you can gradually get back to it with little to no intervention or treatment other than <shudder> rest. And you've already been off it a few weeks, right? How much longer did the doc think it would take?

Yes, what Erika said....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

tet--you're cool.

It's nice of you to help out the Easter Bunny, Steve.  It must be a stressful time of year for him.

I got off early, today, so was able to get in 15 miles.  Now, I have to practice a dramatic reading for tonight's Good Friday service, and get to church.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

Mariposai

I went to the doctor yesterday to review the results of my MRI - it turns out it's a proximal tibial stress fracture, not a meniscus tear like he thought.  So I guess that's good news - it will get better on it's own, with no need for surgery or anything.  It's just tough to be patient while it's healing!

Good news in disguise. I am praying for patient for you, my dear birthday sistahh.

Twocat's dinner menu sounds fabulous!!!!

Marj, fantastic long run today!

Me? Just 5 slow miles. I must have worked hard yesterday during my speed work because the legs were dead today.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

I'm wondering where Twocat got the apparent plethora of cabbage? With colcannon and a red cabbage dish... I hope his guests like cabbage!

10.3 miles today on my run home from work. Felt good and the conditions were just about perfect (TC, that means no wind, sun at my back and temps in the mid-40's), with just a couple wet/icy spots, easily avoided. Then went to the Star Wars movie, had a wild mushroom pizza with a bottle of cabernet. Really nice to spend the evening with DS1 and DIL2B, and enjoyed the movie (even though the kids had seen it before!).

SteveP

The circle of life:

- Complain about work/stress - Drop off here for a while - Try to make a comeback - Complain about work/stress - Drop off - Try to make a comeback - etc.

Today on my Argyle Sweater calendar there was this piece about SteveP's early years:

http://i63.tinypic.com/148d5cg.jpg

Love it. I can relate to your circle of life.

Two Cat..I've down to 40ish Batman shirts and only 1/2 a dozen or so costumes.

I've spent the day yelling at coworkers and drivers making deliveries. "You dumb bunny!! Hop to it!".

SteveP