Masters Running

Sunday Sunny Master Runs and Workouts (Read 379 times)

Tim-I have been following here and your other post. I am sorry for what you have lost, but I think Ribs has it nailed (I know, big shock I agree with Ribs). Since it sounds like you have already put the money out there, why not go? Check out Seattle as a place to live, circulate some resumes, do some networking. You never know who you might run into at a race...food for thought, in the end the choices are yours. I would say take advantage of any resources that present themselves. I have let people help me in the past, truly some of the best decisions I have made. You have made lots of good friends who will happily show you the kindness you show others. For me, the Lilac 5K with my 5th grade group, race report is upcoming.
      Haven't been posting much lately, but just had to put a hug and healing words in today for our friend, Tim. You didn't deserve what happened Tim, and we all know that. Your satisfaction will come from knowing that you were loved and respected by the people who worked for you who will now have to work for someone who only cares about the bottom line. Your day will come, friend. I've always been a firm believer in fate - that things happen for a reason. Someone "upstairs" has better plans for you - you'll find out what they are soon. On the subject of fueling vs non-fueling, I learned the hard way this morning. Ran the Cellcom half marathon and tried to do it on a cup of coffee and nothing else. The adrenelin got me to around the 7 mile mark with a 9:09 pace - lightning fast for this 56 year old woman. But, no Gu, no Gatorade, nothing except water caught up with me at the 10 mile mark. I had nothing left in the tank and finished at 2:10 and a 9:58 pace overall. I still finished 10th in my AG but damn - I could have done so much better!. This was my year! I put in all the training and hard work, but trying to run 13 miles on empty was a mistake. I hope everyone learns from my stupidity. On the positive side, it was a beautiful morning - around 39° at the start and not much wind. I was with my family - my 33 year old son ran the half in 2:22 with NO training. Not one run since January. My 66 year old sister, who never stops amazing me ran it in 2:45, shaving 15 minutes off her time from last year. There were 10,000 runners total for the full, half and 5K races - enough to run the beer tent dry. I love this race - where else can you get a brat and a beer at 9:00 in the morning?
      Teresadfp

One day at a time

LOL, Jeanne, as soon as I read your last line, I knew you were from Wisconsin! That's where DH is from (Madison). A few years ago, UW was rowing in Boston and they had a big tailgate party! It was a lot of fun. Hey, you're 10 years older than me and a lot faster, so you're doing great! I will remember your lesson in October. It's time for me to start ramping up. I ran only 1.3 miles today, but that makes 7 days in a row for me. It's fun! I joined the RA mile-a-day group. I'll just see how it goes - if I find myself getting too tired, I'll stop. I may as well run a lot while the weather is so nice. Today it was 58, overcast, and a little drizzly. Smile DD11 "walked" our collie while I ran - he ends up making her run! He weighs more than she does, I guess!
        SteveP

Sweet run Ribs. Hope the event with The Saint was fun. Your post cracked me up Jlynne. Tim, I spent 40 hours a week looking for work. I didn't swing at the first pitch. One job couldn't meet the wage. An other wouldn't let me have either a Sundat AM or Saturday PM off for Church. It was all kinds of people helping me that got me the gig I have now. Most days, I get the same rush from work that I do from racing. And I get paid for it. The dog and I put in some trail time. He got his front fore legs muddy. He's a Lab\Boxer. I took him to the river before we got back home so we didn't get hollered on. He got his front paws in the water and put on the brakes. I tried coaxing him and no go. So I put his front paws in and pushed him. He had on the back breaks and the front end was in reverse and he was crying and yelping like I had just told him there wasn't any Santa. Tag's head was flailing back and forth. He got in up to his elbows and it was tough trying to get the muck off of his legs.When I let go, he high tailed it to higher ground and hid in the tall grass. So, he's part Lab. Part Boxer and part princess.

SteveP

Slo

Good Day all ! Out for a double today. 11.29 at 8:19, tuckpoint around the house, 5.08 at 8:30 this afternoon........After yesterdays race I'm bushed ! Looking forward to a great swim tomorrow !
            stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Busy weekend so not much time on-line. Tough news for Tim, but really inspiring to see everyone rally around him. It actually felt like a run today instead of a slog. Same general speed, but I added an extra bit today for 3.7 miles in about 39 minutes. Hope I can keep adding little by little.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

wildchild

Carolyn

Ribs, congrats on your 1st 20 miler post-surgery! That's awesome! And happy birthday to the Saint. Jlynne, I ran a half marathon last year with nothing but water, and I paid the price too. I bonked at about 10 miles and walked a bunch after that (it was hilly), but I actually ended up taking 1st in my AG anyway (out of 4) which was a nice consolation prize, considering how carpy I felt! Steve P, cute story about princess Tag! My dogs love the water. Tazzie has a hurt paw, so I've only been taking her and Ladybug for a mile off-leash, then leaving them at home and going back out for more on my own. I can't just leave them home altogether; they'd never forgive me. But I figure in the mile I run, they run at least 2 or 3 miles so they get their exercise for the day. I haven't posted runs in a couple of days so I'll play catch-up. Friday I did 3.9 trail miles after work, Saturday I did a long run of 10 miles around the local dirt roads, and today DD and I did a hike of maybe 6 miles in a local park to make up for our aborted Mother's Day hike last weekend (because it snowed on Mother's Day!) So a nice weekend. We saw the new Star Trek movie last night, and loved it! Live long and prosper! Big grin

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #3309

Thanks everyone...I wish I could say I am a positve person, but I am not right now, but trying....thanks RA folk. Ribs, 20 miles....WTG Thanks everyone...I can't begin to mention everyone's name. Tears Tim Dreading tomorrow... But 8 easy miles running today at 8:49 pace

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!