Masters Running

Octuesday Daily, 10.1.13 (Read 39 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

JLynne, yes the woodshed is sided and roofed with cedar, and we are going to it age gracefully and naturally, as we are trying to do ourselves. I'm glad your good weather allowed you to avoid Mr. Grumpy yesterday.

There is something strangely synergistic about biking 4 miles to borrow a car, Marj. Dave McG is an extraordinary RD, and a pretty good speaker too - I'm glad you got to see him.

Have a mahvelous cruise, Breger! Sounds wonderful - better plan on some ship laps...

Nice 14-miler to end the month, Tramps!

Like Holly, I always think of Close Encounters when I see a shot of Devil's Tower. Your photo is gorgeous, Wildchild.

Sorry about the lost power, Tammy, but I'll bet the neighbors will be happy with the Chinese food that was saved for them.

Good luck with your grant app, Enke, even if the chances of getting the award aren't great. Good luck with door #3 too.

Holly, we downloaded plans for the shed, and then immediately started to change them. We can't leave well enough alone. Roll eyes

Lots of sleepus interruptus last night, so I stayed in this morning to try to grab a few more winks. I'm being pulled in a lot of different directions this week, and some of the stuff is a bit stressful, so sleep may be in short supply till I get through it all.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

Like Holly, I always think of Close Encounters when I see a shot of Devil's Tower. Your photo is gorgeous, Wildchild.

Oops, I hadn't seen this...or Holly's comment before posting to the mileage thread.  Oh well.

I'm way behind on reading, in part because we're spending so much @$% time car hunting, which I hate.  This one's too big, this one's too small, too expensive, not enough features, poor reliability ratings, etc, etc.  We can't seem to find the right combination.  Leading candidate right now is the Subaru Impreza Hatchback. It's not stellar on any dimension but it's solid on all of the things we're interested in, if you know what I mean.  (Here's a tip: If you're looking for a sporty little car, they're practically giving away the 2013 Mazda 3's right now since the new, redesigned 2014's have arrived.  The price is very tempting but it's a little smaller than we want.)

Anyhow...9 miler this morning with 5x600's that went surprisingly well.  I easily had that "I could do another" feel at the end that I learned from Ribs is important.

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - you certainly did a wonderful job!

Tramps - good luck with the car shopping.

I am still sore, but feel MUCH better today.  4.6 recovery paced miles really seemed to help with the loosening-up process, and I felt much better afterwards.

DH signed us up for another cooking class scheduled for tonight, this time at a different place.  I believe it is appetizers and wine pairings again, but I am not sure.  Whatever it is, I am sure there will be good food and wine (and too many calories).  Maybe not a good idea for a weeknight.  I'd better lay out my "fat pants" for work tomorrow.   Joking

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Just a quick check in for now.  Like Tramps I decided to hit the track.  In my case I ran 6x600m.  The good news is that I think I could have done 5x800m instead.

In non-running news I am looking for an iGoogle replacement.  The closest I have come is Netvibes.  The thing may even be overkill.  But it makes a good, if not superior, replacement to iGoogle.  The one problem is that it lacks a widget to follow whatever you have listed on your Google Finance Portfolio.  Other than that there seems to be a widget for nearly anything I wanted from iGoogle.  One caution, if you switch to it some widgets seems to come with ads that are very annoying and I cannot even see where to pay a few bucks to turn them off.  Plan B is to use Firefox, add in Add Blocker Plus as an ad-on, and then enable it.  Viola the ads disappear!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

TammyinGP

Yes, the neighbors enjoyed all our food last night. We had a nice time visiting with them and sharing the food.

Mariposai - Antartica! that would be an amazing journey. I have a friend from HS (who I'm friends with on FB) that lives/works there 6 mos a year at McMurdo. She lives in Cooper Landing, Alaska when not working, although she also has dual citizenship in Finland, so spends a month or so each year there also. I've always envied what a diverse life she has led. If you go to Antartica and are near McMurdo, she would be a wonderful person to meet if possible. She reminds me in many ways of Sans Souci and I know you would really love her.

Will get in a run tonight when I get home. poor pups were largely ignored last night with our company over, so they need their momma time tonight.

Tammy

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I don't know what got into me but another four miler this morning.

Not that I’d like to try to keep up to enke at this weekend’s Issaquah Fish Run and BBQ or anything like that if it works out and in case she’s limping again this year and not her speedy self.
              Posie - good luck on your seven continents in the next ten years.

Any 50-States plans?

Let me know if you need a guide for Asia.  <<<(Japan/Japan)>>>

Bring as many other boomers as possible, especially for summertime Mt. Fuji.
              No particular reason but do you like onsen hot springs?.

I might have been with the Third Encounter folks too except for having seen a film on climbing Devil’s Tower long before the flying saucer found it. Thanks for the impressive photo wildchild.  How long does it take to get to the top? Isn't there a trail down the other side?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

fatozzig, it sounds like the RD was smart in cancelling the ultra.  I'm sure it was a tough call but the wisest.

Nice long runs for mari, Twocat, evan, breger, and Tramps.  Good job on the speedwork for Twocat.

This morning, it was in the low 50s and there was a little wind.  I did 5 miles at a 10:35 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

...nice job on the shed jay//..........

........tet>>>>>>>, TRAINING???????............did you sleep next to a Pod last night??

==========

but I digress.......

double wgt sessions

15min xbike alt standing and sitting...........it's getting easier

.................good running

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

King of PhotoShop

Thanks Tramps. I drive the Mazda 3 and crazy about my car. I have had a few of them.

No run today. Deliberately took today off as I sure don't want to be tired on Saturday and everyone keeps scaring me about the 20K trail race I'm doing.

I'm in Dalton, GA working for a small bank here.  Today went super and I have one more day tomorrow.  I'm teaching commercial banking to retail bankers and I thought it would be difficult, but I was blessed with a smart, hard-working group and the session was easy.  IPA time now.  Spareribs

Mariposai

Ribs, congrats on the successful work this week! You rock. You are a top notch trainer. I am not surprised on the success of your work today.

I wish I can cheer on  each post, but  I can't....what I need right now is to sleep. This week I am doing my favorite work: attending all the career fairs in the county to let high school students know about our services and how we can assist them in their career choices.

I did not run today, but I did fit in a few minutes of XT after this zombie arrived home after 8pm tonight.

BTW, the government shut down hits very close to home for us. The Easy Pacer was sent home today on furlough (he works for a government agency). Unless the budget passes, my wings will also be on furlough as of next Monday (I work for a state agency, but 75% of our funding comes from the Feds).

But while our elected officials decide to play nice in the sandbox, I still have three school career fair to do

....loving every second of it!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

I took a rest day yesterday. Wasn't really planned as I saw the weather forecast for today was supposed to be worse than Monday's, and I was so tired yesterday... Crashed on the recliner a little after 8 and barely made it to bed by 11:45. Today I felt much better, and made it out for a 10k run at late lunch in 35° but dressed for it. Felt really good, so I must've needed that rest day.

Have fun on your cruise, Breger! Sounds like a blast.

Always impressed by Tramps' early/mid-week runs.

Is Tet really training? Wow... the government shut down is small news in comparison. Big grin