Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 7.27.17 (Read 29 times)

BTY

The sun hasn't risen here in the Albany area yet, so I think I'm okay posting on the Thursday thread.  I am the Race Director for a grand total of one (1) annual 5k/10k fundraiser for an Outreach Center in one of Albany's poorest neighborhoods.  All participants get shirts because the second most important purpose of our event is awareness. The Director of the Center makes that decision, making it easy for me.  And we make sure they are nice shirts that people will want to wear, as our walking billboards.  We awarded medals to AG winners (1-3) in 5 and 10 year AG's in past years, as well as trophies for OA winners (1-3) as well.  It makes it a very nice event but it hasn't seemed to add any new participants, or at least not enough to justify the cost.  This past year we kept the trophies for OA but handed out $20 t0 to $40 gift certificates that were donated by local restaurants, florists, boutiques, etc - no cost to us and much more valuable than our medals.  So I saved a couple hundred dollars (I donated the medals each year, and the proceeds from the race paid for the trophies).  Only one man among the many AG winners gave us an opinion on the decision - he loudly promised in front of all present to NEVER participate in our event ever again.  He's over 80 years old and wins an AG medal every year, not only at our event but probably countless others.  I wasn't expecting it to say the least.  He didn't stick around to take his gift certificate (to a restaurant) with him.  Nor did the door hit him on his way out.

Happy Friday - Here comes the sun (through the fog) !!!!