Masters Running

40s 50s 60s On the Run - June 2013 (Read 38 times)

"Life’s not the breaths you take
    The breathing in and out
    That gets you through the day
    Ain’t what it’s all about
    Ya just might miss the point
    Try’n to win the race
    Life’s not the breaths you take
    But the moments that take your breath away"  (Gentleman George Strait)

Haven't been able to stick my head in here for awhile.  The trip last weekend was fun, but I came home a day early 'cause there wasn't anything for me to do and I didn't want to stand around all day waiting for Karen and Kate to finish.

I know Ev and his family survived the first round of tornadoes.  Hope they're okay with this second wave.  Prayers going out to all in OK who are suffering right now.

I've been putting in a few miles here and there.  Think I got in 18 last week with 8 of them yesterday.  The AT isn't a problem anymore (but I still warm up really good before a run and stretch and ice after), but the insides of my calves/shins are the problems now.  I think it's the feet trying to get used to the arch support.  I haven't run consecutive days yet and will probably give it one more week before trying.  The running I've done hasn't been too bad, but I can tell I've definitely lost "running fitness."

The Job Hunt - I'm telling basically everybody I see that I'm looking.  Got some good info from one of the assistant pastors, Steve Lemmon, at our church last night.  Told one guy I know there was I was looking for a job, and he immediately took me over the Steve who gave me info about the new Vet Center here in town (he's a pharmacist and recently began working there) .  Said he thought they were going to be doing some hiring soon and gave me a name/number to call, as well a couple of web sites to look at.  Also sent in my app and resume to a position open with the local university.  I'd rather stay in the private sector, but beggars cant' be choosers.  If I find a job - private or public sector, and I'm not happy there, I can keep looking.  I just know that in about two months I'm definitely going to need a solid job.  I'm being very specific in my prayers, so God knows exactly what I'm looking for.

The Hub went down to Singing Trees today to celebrate with another one of his rehab compadres who is getting his 2-year chip today, and I'm on deep house cleaning duty.  Already washed the car he took (it was FILTHY from dirt road driving last weekend), vacuumed, swept, dusted, did some laundry, and now I'm going to tackle the computer room/office.  It's gonna be ugly as it hasn't had a good cleaning for awhile (what?  sweeping the floor doesn't get everything??).  Have my snot rag at the ready (my allergies are horrible right now), window flung wide open, country music soon to be blaring, and here I go . . .

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Hi gals and guys, on another work week that has lasted 21 straight days  so haven't taken time to post. I have been getting in some regular shorter runs in the 3-6 mile range but seems work gets in the way to do longer runs and I seem to enjoy them the most. I jumped off a flatbed trailer earlier in the week and really jammed my knee and the outside of my left lower leg is really sore to touch and walk on. See what happens there may have to have it looked at. Wind was blowing yesterday so I couldn't spray so I was going to do my long run but called it after three between my leg and strong cold winds just couldn't get my mojo going on. Hope to start planting pintos tomorrow, then start hauling fertilizer to the pivots and 10 loads of corn going out this week so just when I think we will get a break there is always more to do. That said it is good to have a job and I am thankful to do what I was born to do for a living.

Leslie hope something opens up for you soon. Surely the old school social network will come up with something for you. Glad the AT is under control .

Joe, nice racin', pacin' and race pacin'. Those shorter distances can be fun when you get trained up for them.

Ev glad u missed the bad stuff. My landlady is in Edmund and had driven up I-35 just an hour before the Moore storm. Really tragic, saw that storm chaser Tim Semaris was killed along with his son and friend. He always seemed so cautious and knowledgeable.

Arla, funny on the track Nazis. I was midway thru a workout a few yrs ago and the jr high FB coach and boys showed up. He never said a word to me just gave me the stinkeye. They were just using about 20 yards of the track for drills and I could reverse when I got close . Really funny because the high school track coach and cross country coach (husband and wife) are my running buds. I'll have to ask them about it sometime. Oh and the pintos are dry beans. They are a bit of a risky crop and harvest can be a nightmare but I enjoy growing them as they respond to management.

Stumpy hope your project is going well and you can work some runs in. I think you are giving me too much credit this year as I have let the work get in the way of my runs. If I get so tired I quit making good decisions then the runs get sacrificed. The key is planning, but staying flexible and working it in, and lately I haven't done so well . Goal races like your 1st full are good too.

Hiyas to Cindy, Carol and any others lurking out there.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - sounds like you're on track and finding some good leads. I work at a community college, and one nice thing about that environment is being around young people all the time. Some of 'em are stinkers, most of 'em are spoiled and entitled, but deep down they're sweet kids and they keep you feeling young.

Jim - way to keep at the running but take care of that leg!

The last couple of weeks my back has been a little twingy, especially at night. Long story short, it came to a head on Sunday. Saw the PT yesterday and he says it's an overuse injury because of my increase in training intensity + not taking care of my back during this time of increased intensity. So now I'm down and out for a few days, laying on an ice pack, and getting more PT today. I'm bummed and frustrated because the training cycle with a late August goal marathon was going so well, but it's my own fault and, well, it's only running!

Hey it's too hot out there to run anyway. Joking

Ex runner

Top 'O the World!

Hey All!! Glad to see that everyone is upright! Wink

Hmm, shorter races?!? hmmmm....

Yup, teenagers will do that whole barely moving whilst looking oh so bored all day long.....Roll eyes Had two girls on the trail this morning that were very close to needing a pulse verification!

Hope the weather settles down there in OK real soon!!!!! Enough already!!

Good luck on the work search, Leslie....just having a similar conversation with a young friend who is basically out of the nursing field due to car accident induced back injury (she is not fully disabled)  & looking for work. Her area is a bit tight yet for employment so, I asked her what ELSE she could do to earn income....we discussed various options in the entrepreneurial arena Wink

Went for a 17 mile shake out ride this am, followed by a cpl doggie miles....still achey but getting some past it amazingly quickly!

Oh yeah, wha'd I do!?   This:  https://secure.insanitymudrun.com/info  Some great pics of the obstacles here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Insanity-Run/405919372834687 But they look much bigger & scarier in person!  The running technical trails btwn obstacles was the easy part.  Challenged my whole body but I def need to work on upper body strength! I prolly should go work with Jim for a few months before trying something so stoopid again!? ....or not ..Holy Cow was that ever a big batch of scary fun!!! Kicked my butt!!  I was a bit worried about Doug, considering I'm pretty sure he'd cracked a rib crashing on the bicycle a cpl wks ago, but he's doing better than the rest of us today..(turd). It was interesting watching people freak out on some of the obstacles. Height, water, dark culvert... Some just didn't have the strength/fitness to accomplish the task (vertical wall climb), whereas others just scampered over stuff. we were allowed to help each other with the obstacles...that meant various things, like boosting, pushing, pulling, verbal encouragement, including heckling ....Mostly young people doing this. A couple of CrossFit/Boot Camp groups. Some military folks. One older "drill sergeant" type guy was especially impressive! What I saw of him anyway....I saw a lot more starting it than I saw finishing!.... aaaand apparently there's another one nearby in July...the guys were already discussing what improvements to our workouts we need to do over the next month.....idiots!! Clown

My "Team"

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Hey all!  Glad to see everyone still moving!

Leslie, applying all of the resolve and resilience you have developed with trail running will no doubt put you in a good place on the job search.  I love your attitude about being willing to take it in a different direction.  Sorry the run goals are not happening right now.

Jim, sounds like things are pretty good on the farm.  I think it's great that your are doing what you were born to do!  And what you said about always adjusting...thanks...needed that Smile.  Hope your knee comes out OK.

Cindy, LOL, always on an adventure you are!  So what did you think about The Cool Impossible?  I read it...started working on foot strength stuff, and feet feel stronger/better, but another issue cropped up, so it's on hold for now.

Arla, yes, the kiddos will keep you young, and glad not to be "that" young, all at the same time.  I was just commenting to hubby last night that I can't figure out exactly when we became...well...not cool.  Sorry your back is unhappy.  Hopefully a few days of pampering will have it feeling better.

Ev, so glad you guys are OK in OK.  Sheesh, enough already!

Joe, glad to see that you are bouncing right back!

Stumpy, how's the travels?

As for me...yes, I got all gung ho on trying to strengthen things from the ground up and see if I might be able to get off the orthotics (which I think might have contributed to my stress fx).  Then my literal pain in the butt came on strong.  Not sure what triggered it this time...all runs have been short and easy, and so have rides.  Anyway, I've named it "Rhett", as in Rhett Butler.  Piriformis is my bet (deep center glute...shoots down the leg at times).  Giving it a rest for now, aside from hubby volunteering to rub it for me.  Not sure that is doing any good, but he seems to enjoy it Wink.

Progress Trumps Pefection

Jeez!  I feel like I'm reading tales from the Old Folks Home or something!  Getting old Becoming more seasons sure as heck ain't for sissies!

Arla - Take care of that back.  Let it heal.  You have a such a strong, solid base, you'll be up and going in no time.  Now about those core strengthening exercises . . . .

Cindy - Guffawed at your comment about the girls on the trail.

Jim - Ouch!!! on the leg.  Hope you didn't do anything major.

Carol - Did you slowly start working your way out of the orthotics . . . like you worked your way into them???

I have to call my PT and discuss the orthos they made for me.  . . . . I don't want them.  Things are slowly improving, and I don't want to become dependent upon having those in my shoes.  I'm slowly getting used to my new running shoes, so hopefully all will be completely well soon.  I'll be contacting the folks at PCTR and asking for a refund of my entry fee for Headlands 50.  It simply ain't gonna happen.  Coach and I talked last night, and I have my head screwed on a little bit straighter.  Well, as straight as it can be for now.

I also PO'd my whatever-that-nerve-is that runs down through your butt and leg (thank you, menopause for the memory loss) by picking up a full 5-gallon water bottle today.  Every - single - time I lift one of those things, my back goes out.  This time it was just from the back of my boss' SUV to carry into the office.  Those bottles don't like me.

Ran a good 5 this a.m., will do another 6 on Thurs, then 10 on Saturday.  In between, am doing my strength/core training and stationary bike riding.  If you listen to podcasts, Trail Runner Nation has a fantastic interview with Phil Maffetone.  Very much well worth downloading and listening to.

I may be losing my  job, but I have some side transcription to keep me going.  And sent out three more resumes since yesterday.  They're blind mailings, but you never know what might come of it.

Okay - I'm tired.  Was up 'til 10:00 last night transcribing an absolute dog of an interview - 12 yr old girl talking 100 mph with lots of "Um," "Uh," "Like," "She's all," "He's all," "I'm all," "And then, and then, and then . . ."  AAAAARRRRGGGGHHH!  At least the one I'm doing now consists of two fairly competent adults.  Nite ~

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Yep, Carol - sounds like Piriformis to me too....Ye olde "sitting into the tennis ball whilst rotating your knee from out to in, & out to in...." preferably in a hot tub w/margarita in hand! Wink  What causes it? I think it's usually it's a compensatory engagement to stabilize form issues (real specific, eh?!) Changes in shoes, changes in form, running tired, running hills,  lack of strength in something else, other injury that engages other muscles to compensate ...This would be a more lateral engagement (outside line trying to do more work) so maybe medial quads, core strength, etc. may need some tone/tune-up - any IT or Glute Medius issues at all?  Or poss hamstrings - if I'm "pulling" too much to go up hills, longer strides rather than shorter, rhythmic, I'll also get an achy Piriformis + Glute Med out of it... but my hamstrings usually alert me that my legs are too much in front. If you also tilt fwd from the hips, you could add pissed off Illio-psoas (low back) too? Yay!  How's your core work/yoga been lately?

BTW: I am reading The Cool Impossible in pieces now..(I think I have eleventy-3 books open & in progress just now...) .light skim, book signing w/Q&A & webcast w/Eric over the past month & IMHO, I do agree with him. I've also chatted w/some of his students & friends down here in the Boulder groups & I like the results that he, & coaches like him accomplish. I have Danny Dreyer's Chi Running book, which basically says much the same thing.  There is a Chi Running Clinic that Dreyer is doing ($225) here in the metro area sometime this month again - one of my TNT coaches/mentors swears by what she got out of it...& via another trail runner - these videos that SHOW some of the description of form:  http://www.altrazerodrop.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StaticContentView?langId=-1&storeId=15151&catalogId=18952&pageTitle=Learn+To+Run&pageName=LearnToRun

All good inspiration to rededicate myself to whole body fitness and good form as the best path to improved running! Smile

And, a goodly number of my other books are on nutrition..... Roll eyes

More FUN stuff: http://vimeo.com/57847880  Smile  was great to see Krissy again @ the screening & to meet Simon! I want to run this!

For myself - still recovering...still a little tired but MUCH better & pretty quickly! Finding some bruises that I didn't even know I had! Lol! Just keep wigglin! Wink

C

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Cindy- I'm reading "Chi Running," as well, and as I try and incorporate his suggestions, I can tell a difference in my running.  I have to really concentrate, or I fall back into my old habits.  Right now I am working on maintaining the slight lean and peeling my feet off the ground as opposed to lifting from the quads.  I'd love to take one of his classes, and he seems to have them frequently in the San Fran area, so maybe one of these days.

I guess today is National Running Day.  It's not in my schedule, so my hat's tipped to those of you who are running today.

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Schedule-schmedule, I will run around the block if'n I feel like it! Wink  ~ Later, ....after my neighbor comes to collect her AWOL dog who is camped IN my house for safekeeping! Roll eyes  Beautiful red Husky

flatland mountaineer

Quick update, finished the beans yesterday and light showers this morning so went for 3.4, I gimped first 1/2 then warmed into it.  The knee seemed to come around fairly fast but the ankle still was a little funky. I decided since we were somewhat caught up maybe need to catch an x-ray just 'cause.. I got in to see the aprn and she thought it wise  to x-ray. She was afraid of a bone chip where the ligament attaches to the bone but thankfully x-ray showed no fractures etc, and she suspected as did I that just strain to the ligament and the usual ice, anti-inflammatory, and rest, a little less miles.

Had her take a look at my finger/knuckle that I originally broke hs football then again in 2009 when I fell in the mtns on our Palm Springs trip and then injured it this fall cleaning our a grain hopper. She could feel it grate in the knuckle  but really not much to do, arthritis, calcium deposits, live with it, deal with it.

Good to see much of the gang posting this week. More later as we get our head above water.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Hey gang!

So Leslie, do you actually transcribe the "like" and the "he's all" stuff.  Like, I've never been umm, sure, like how ya know all that works?  Yes, a smart person would have eased out of the orthotics, wouldn't they?  Unfortunately, you know me a bit too well, so yes, guilty on the "let's ditch these babies now" count.  Was your hubby in a federal prison camp?  If so, do you have any tips on visiting folks there?  I've been approved to visit an old friend at one on 6/22-6/23, and plan on going once a month after that.

Cindy, maybe with the enticement of hot tub and margarita's I would be able to stick with doing the things that hurt but are good for me Smile.  Letting the piriformis settle down a bit for a week or so with mostly walking and swimming, and then on to the land of the tennis ball, yoga, stretch.  Yes, I have a history of IT band and glute med issues, all on the same side (not to mention arch tear, and stress fracture in the foot on that side).  Lopsided, lots!  Sports chiro (ART) has worked with me IT & glute med, but I've avoided him way too much lately.  Glad to hear your opinion of The Cool Impossible.  I'm starting to come around to that type of thinking, now just need to get my body to cooperate.  The Altra link looks like a great resource!  And wow, that run around Kilamanjaro is so inspiring.  That type of thing fires me up more than any road race ever could.  Just adventuring and experiencing all of that looks so incredible!  It's what I want to do when I grow up Smile.

Jim, glad that you got a reasonably good medical report.  I'm afraid the "live with it, deal with it" thing is more of a reality for all of us.  Seeing it from the vantage point of our much older family members brings that into sharp focus.  This week alone for my FIL -  3 trips to the dentist to have his partial adjusted, 1 trip to the ENT doc re: some blockage in one ear, and a follow up with the neurologist on adding some anti dementia meds to his cocktail of umpteen pills.  Not up to me, but makes me hopeful that I'll just keel over and go Home before all that "fun". Till then, as Cindy said, I plan to keep on wigglin'!

Progress Trumps Pefection

. . . . but makes me hopeful that I'll just keel over and go Home before all that "fun". Till then, as Cindy said, I plan to keep on wigglin'!

Agreed!

Nope.  Shorty's case wasn't a federal matter, so he was in the regular ole county jail.  Thankfully!  I suspect visiting a federal prison is the same as a state prison and county jails: You won't be allowed to take anything in with you.  They'll most likely have lockers or some such where you can stash your purse and keys.  You'll be going through a metal detector, so try not to wear anything with lots of bling, pants with lots of metal, belts - anything along that line.  They'll most likely  have specific times you can visit, maybe even specific to the friend's section of the prison.

If you want to mail anything, remember that EVERYTHING gets opened and read and looked at.  They'll probably have specific places where you can purchase things like fun food stuffs, etc.  Reading material - you may only be able to purchase books from certain publishers/distributors.  I could only go through Barnes & Noble for Shorty, only soft back books, and nothing "provocative."  I bought him a book about a murder that took place in Paris, and I guess it has pictures of famous artwork, and some of the artwork was of nudes.  They wouldn't let him have it and kept it until he got out of jail.  I got a good chuckle out of that.

Jim - Glad the leg is feeling better.  Give it time.  The finger I dislocated last year is already giving me problems.  I do believe Mr. Arthritis is making an appearance earlier than I had hoped.

About 20 min of stat bike last night, followed by about 30 min of strength/core training, and followed that up with transcription.  After work, it's 6 at the McKay, and a night of relaxing afterward.  Will start back up with the transcription this weekend.

Okay - Gotta go change clothes.  Later, dudes and dudettes ~

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Well aren't we a gimpy group this week!

Mtn - those insanity runs scare me, although I sure had a fun time doing a mud run a couple years ago! Be careful out there!

Carol - ah, yes, the infamous pain in the butt. Massage is your friend, also the foam roller on anything in the neighborhood, IT band etc. And patience, that's your other friend!

Leslie - I've been a bad girl about the core work and stretching....gotta say I cracked up reading about that transcription!

Did a couple miles Thursday and Friday with no ill effects. Got the green light from the PT to race the 1 miler today but he warned me I'd pay for it. So I raced sorta-hard, happy with my 7:07 and #4 AG (been there all season), but am already paying for it. Helloooo, ice pack...

Ex runner

Helloooo, ice pack...

Big grin  He warned you!   . . . . pssst - Good job on the AG placement.

I got in a whole 21 miles this week, and I'm feeling it in parts of my legs that I haven't felt it before in a long time.  Tendons, ligaments, and muscles that aren't use to the stability shoes.  I need somebody to totally torture my legs with a massage.

. . . . off to cancel the last of my scheduled races. Sad  At least with Pacific Coast Trail Runs, I'll get a full refund of my $110 entry fee, so that's a plus.

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - soooo sorry you have to cancel your run. Pretty cool that they do refunds, though! Are your legs supposed to be going through this with the new shoes?

Didn't pay *too* much for that race, will try to bump my mileage a little bit today. Been sticking to 2 mile runs, which seem to help, and LOTS of stretching. Back to PT tomorrow.

Ex runner