Masters Running

The 31st! Last day of the month runs . . . . (Read 515 times)

Holly, I don't know how old you are, and from looking at your picture, this may not be the issue. The mid-life, menopause thing has done weird things to my body. I'm running/exercising as much as I did when I was in my 40's (I'm now 55), and my eating habits haven't changed. REALLY - I SWEAR!!! I've gained almost 5 lbs in a little over a year. I've talked with other women who said their metabolisms really slowed down when they started going through menopause (sorry guys, I know this is a running site, but your wives might be going through this soon and you'll be able to offer some comfort). I can't imagine what my body would look like if I didn't run and work out. By the way, I'm up at 4:30 5 days a week in order to get my run in before work. There have been scientific studies done on people who don't sleep well - how they have a tendency to gain weight. Maybe that's our problem. Another possibility - have you had your thyroid tested lately? Low or high thyroid can lead to weight gain/loss. The national news did a story last night on how people get happier as they age. They may get happier, but what happens to our bodies sucks. DH, I understand your frustration. Would schools be better off if they offered all classes on a pass/fail basis? Would that eliminate some of the pressure of letter grades? Just a thought...
      3 miles to finish off the month. 104.1 for the month a Pr for me for this time of year.Easy 3 in 25:18 Good runs everyone

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

mcsolar, Nice mile repeats. The only goal race I have this year is the annual High Street Mile here in Newburyport, a race down the flat main street of this historic seaport. If I match your final mile of 5:44, I'll be pleased: my PR is 5:46, from my last race here three or four years ago. I don't plan any speedwork due to my leg problems, but I've always been able to get under 6:00 in the past, without special training. We'll see if I'm able to run in this early August race. If you really want to climb Mt. Everest, I'll hook you up with Dan. He will expect you to fulfill the prerequisites I mentioned. I'm sure you're mentally and physically tough, but somehow I don't picture you as an ice-and-snow guy. Dark Horse
        I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.

jules2

evanflein "Sometimes I think I should be increasing my miles more like some of you, but I think it would just invite personal injury and family dischord. I seem to do ok on the mileage I do, so will resist the urge to get swept up in the "gotta do more" mania. Bleh." Depends what you want to do, run lots of miles as a personal challenge or get quicker in races. To be the very best you have to train a lot and if you are near your peak then you have to train a lot more for a minor increase in performance. I'm coming to the opinion that apart from the elite quality not quantity counts. Its difficult to explain as I've only started thinking about this recently but what surprises me both on sites such as this and my running club is that high mileages and good race times don't always come hand in hand. I know people half my age who run more than I do yet never come near me in a race. I'm currently considering whats the least I can do to get good results as I won't get good times if I'm injured from overtraining. Anyone else got any thoughts on this?

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 10 miles with 13x3minutes moderate/2minutes easy-1:17 overall with 10 min w/u and 5 min c/d. faster stuff was about 6:50 and slow >8...
              Dark Horse, not to ruffle you, but this is my remembrance of how it was in high school. The teacher would CLEARLY layout how the students would be marked during the year. What percentage each test would make towards the final mark, how much a subjective "participation" mark would count for, which sometimes was as high as 20%. Sometimes, the teachers would CLEARLY state that if you got higher on the final exam, it would trump the other marks accumulated so far and you would get that grade, in other words your final would be 100% of your final mark. This was more the exception, rather than the rule for how it would work. I suppose my point is, your son must have this knowledge already of how things are going to add up, and it is different for each class/teacher, and he needs to keep that in mind. On to another topic, yes, my DD was pooping on my head in the picture, how disgusting eh?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Joining in with CNY and will probably skip my run today for scheduling reasons. Will tweak the rest of the weekend a bit. Thinking about a race... Dark Horse. Right on. You are a good dad and I totally agree with your thoughts. Holly. You're beautiful as you are. And all these years running and I have never have lost weight doing it. I've only lost several pounds the last few months from loss of appetite/stress. I don't recommend this approach. Funny how life can suck but running gets better. Channeling it into the run, I suppose. Wink And yay for signing up for rock climbing. I did some in college boyfriend and loved it. We are never too old to try new things. Enjoy your DS's birthday. Kids' birthdays should be as much a celebration of a mother giving birth to a child as a child's special day, imo. Enke. Good to hear your shin is feeling better. Are you in need of new shoes by chance? Try that, too. Oh boy, I have pictures and stories from my DD like that, too. Smile Good running and xt today, everyone.

Manchild

4.11 Miles of little 1/4 mile intervals. Never have done intervals but it was fine, I think. 1/4 mile push followed by 1/4 mile run for 2 miles. Ran on the treadmill as it was darkening outside... Chris
                  evanflein

Dark Horse, following what Enke said, at the beginning of each semester our kids are given a syllabus that outlines the course and what's expected for grades. Both the parents and the student have to sign the last page (for each class...) and return it to school in the first week of classes. That way, nobody can say "we didn't know" re: what's expected and whether the teacher will accept late papers, etc. On another note (same subject), I find such a difference in middle school vs. high school. I feel like our middle school here treats the kids like little cretins and criminals... always assuming they're up to no good and can't be trusted. Drives me crazy. The high school seems much more open to individualism and trusting the kids to make good decisions. This is the last year of middle school for us as DS2 will be a freshman next year. We're all excited about that! Tramps, I thought so too. But then, I'm sure they're talking about general exercise, and not the marathon training concept of most of your runs being easy, etc. I'm guessing here... I have also heard that women (and I assume men too, but it was in a women's fitness mag) who depend on running for fitness (ie, weight control) need to increase their mileage every year to get the same results. I think it has to do with the body adapting to a level of exercise and getting more efficient so you always need to increase the challenge. And Jules, I agree. I have to reset my goals for this year, as I seem to have met pretty much all my 2007 goals as far as racing. Got a few out there still, but sort of not big-deal stuff if I don't make them (such as sub-22 minute 5k, 3:45 marathon...). But if someone told me I couldn't reach that marathon goal without putting in 60-70 miles per week, well forget it. I just can't see myself doing that. Not only the risk of injury, but my family has too much going on for me to do that. And I'm not getting up at 4 a.m. to run... That makes for interesting reading when others do it, but it's not for me.
                      Good runs and stuff to all! I didn't get to post my run yesterday, so here goes. 3 easy miles at 9:59 pace. The wind here in OK was, well let's just say it was windy. 40 mph with higher gusts. Pfriese can back me on this I'm sure. When I'm in the big town (OKC) I usually stay with bro-in-law and run over at Lake Olverholser. So I did an out and back. The out was 1.5 miles against the wind in 15:00 even. The back was 1.5 with the wind in 14:55. I thought with the wind would be much faster, but I guess I was really keeping it in check as I was needing an easy recovery from the 9m tempoish run the day before. No run today. Go boom!
                      Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                      bap

3.5 very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very slow miles very slowly.

Certified Running Coach
                        Crocked since 2013

wildchild

Carolyn

And I'm not getting up at 4 a.m. to run... That makes for interesting reading when others do it, but it's not for me.
                          I'm with you 100%! The only times I've gotten up early to run were in the summer, when it was too hot during the day. But at least it was light out in the morning! And I got up at 5:30, not 4 am. I definitely would not get up early to run in the dark and cold in the winter! But I kind of admire those of you who do.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

GreenMan

The adductor behaved until after the run. I'm heating it now 10.5 @ M+2:00 to M warm enough for shorts but a little chill by dusk took two expresso double ClifShots -beginning and middle still my HR behaved nicely. bought an NB coco Jacket, on the small side, nice and snug. nighty night JJJ
                            Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.
                              And I'm not getting up at 4 a.m. to run... That makes for interesting reading when others do it, but it's not for me.
                              errr, ummm, how does 4:37a sound? Big grin
                                Got the run in after all...10.2 miles with 2x3 miles at or a bit faster than MP. Trouble keeping the pace slower a few miles, the body just wanted to go. Rainy, cold evening but it felt great. Not as much fun sitting at a kids' club meeting after, though, chilled to the bone.