Masters Running

Monday, 12. 7. 15 (Read 35 times)

SteveP

It's 10 AM. The day is half over. And I'm starting a thread?  I'm down in sunny Florida. Finished up a pleasant little 10 miler. Spending time with dad and family. Homesick for dog and family.  It is so nice to start a run and not worry about how long it is going to take nor what you have to do is soon as you're finished.  I am finishing runs here before anybody else's out of bed.  Loving every minute of it!

SteveP

Dave59

Good morning.

I got out for 5 miles this morning. I wanted to beat the rain and I did.  

Weather forecast is calling for 60's on Thursday & Friday and 70's on Saturday & Sunday.  I'm normally a lover of winter but I am fine if it wants to stay in the 60's and 70's this year.

After working some this weekend, I am in a "I don't give a crap" mood this morning.  I think I will pick out one the things on the list of work that is needed and work on it.  But I will just ignore everyone and everything else.  See if the world survives if I don't immediately answer every email.

After working some this weekend, I am in a "I don't give a crap" mood this morning.  I think I will pick out one the things on the list of work that is needed and work on it.  But I will just ignore everyone and everything else.  See if the world survives if I don't immediately answer every email.

I do have a question for you, Dave, since you're the resident computer guru:  Is it possible to transfer programs from one computer to another without having the software?  I pilfered Word and WordPerfect from my last job (they knew).  I am getting a new desktop, and I will need both of those programs.  I don't really want to have to go out and spend a couple of hundred bucks or more for the software.

Belted Cows - We also call them the "Oreo Cookie Cows."  I'll have to tell The Hub what they really are.

That some light show, Holly.  Wouldn't want it in my neighborhood!

1.25 of core/ST and some hip flexor and hamstring stretching this morning, and yesterday it was 4 EZ road miles.  I love cutback weeks.

Ordered a pair of Brooks Cascadia 9 last week from Road Runner Sports (got them the very next day!).  As soon as I put them on I knew they weren't going to work.  Not enough room in the toe box and too much arch support.  So the search continues for a different shoe.

Have a great week, peeps ~

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

That some light show, Holly.  Wouldn't want it in my neighborhood!

That light show at Clifton Mill is in a little tiny town called Clifton, and it is positively over-run with the crowds of people that come to see the lights.  It took us forever to find a parking space, and the few streets were teaming with cars crawling at a snail's pace.  DH commented that if he lived there, he would rent out the front lawn for people to park for $5/car.    My thought was that if you lived there, you would have to make sure you were home by 5pm and didn't plan on leaving your house for the rest of the night.

I have Brooks Cascadia, and find them very comfortable for trail running, although mine are several years old now, so I don't know which model they were.  Sorry they didn't work out for you.

No run for me today, just a few lower body weights.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Holly - sounds like the residents could rent out their lawns and roofs to let other people to it (with appropriate credit too).
            This morning's 25 minute cycling commute turned into a drenching rain within 10 minutes but started out  so calm and rainless at 47-degrees at the start, I was debating whether or not even to wear a windbreaker.
            First cycle commute, though, since I repudiated a vow made in the rainy-season Ironman Japan in 1987 never to cycle in the rain again that I’ve been able to think that adjacent drivers with windshield wipers spraying were looking at me like I used to look at Seattle’s foul-weather cyclists over the years thinking about them whatever was being thought about me too.  Hope it’s getting better elsewhere for those who don’t like rain so much but never whine about it, or is it just HHH?
            ps steve: do not run on the beaches barefoot as there might be some hidden pebbles,

broken glass, poisonous snakes and stingrays, toxic jellyfish, etc. . .

pps steve: as is stupidly requred in Ironman races nowadays,

keep your shirt and shoes on to protect against sunburns

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Dave59

I do have a question for you, Dave, since you're the resident computer guru:  Is it possible to transfer programs from one computer to another without having the software?  I pilfered Word and WordPerfect from my last job (they knew).  I am getting a new desktop, and I will need both of those programs.  I don't really want to have to go out and spend a couple of hundred bucks or more for the software.

I do better with questions on technology that is 20 years old and older. When it comes to PC's it is all trial and error for me.

But I too am getting a new PC. Should be here today. I ordered something called PCmover that is supposed to be able to move programs. I bought it mostly to help move my data from 1 PC to another but I'll try moving a program and let you know what happens.  I don't have WordPerfect and I bought a new copy of Microsoft Office which will have Word, but I can try some application.  My copy of PCmover was about $40 I think.

mta: I hadn't looked at PCmover yet because I was waiting until I had the new system.  Reviews at Amazon are very mixed. The professional version of PCmover is needed to move applications from what I read.

Thanks, Dave ~

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

SteveP

Actually, Tet,  I saw sign along the beach today   That indicated we should not run on the boardwalk barefooted.   Of course I thought of you.

Then I took a picture of a horseshoe crab. Sent it to our GS. I told him that that night they turn into spaceships.

SteveP

Sayhey! MM#130

Afternoon!

I can feel you just north, Steve!  Glad you're having some fun, even while missing the loved ones.   Stop hogging the sun, though and send some our way.  Cloudy here again.

Any of you computer savvy folks want to chime in here, please do.  DH has decided he is not loving the laptop and for his seasonal, end of the year present, would like us to consider getting a desk top computer.  He's thinking of Dell; I understand they are easy to have work done on, if you need a repair.  But if you have time and suggestions, I'd love your advice.

Since it was cooler this am, managed eight and a third.

Happy Hanukkah; hope the Sweet Potatoes behaved for you henrun!

Getting nervous as I am supposed to pace a friend at the marathon Sunday.  Afraid I won't get her there; it's supposed to be hot.  And you know, the last hot one I did (Space Coast was warm to hottish, but do-able) in Ft. Myers was not a happy time.  

I have been listening to Radiolab and the story 23 Weeks, 6 Days--have you heard of it Deez?  Anyone?

I won't ruin it, just it is really riveting if you have an hour and want to listen to something really worthwhile.  Here's the synopsis from the website:

This hour, we spend the entire episode on the story of Kelley and Tom, whose daughter was born at 23 weeks and 6 days, roughly halfway to full term. Their story contains an entire universe of questions about the lines between life and death, reflex and will, and the confusing tug of war between two basic moral touchstones: doing no harm...and doing everything in our power to help. Kelley has written about her experience in a brilliant series of articles in the Tampa Bay Times. And when you're done listening to the episode, be sure to check out the video below--but be warned, it does contain spoilers. 

And the website:  23 weeks, 6 days

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

''Then I took a picture of a horseshoe crab. Sent it to our GS. I told him that that night they turn into spaceships.'

I'll be using

that same line later this year

==================

..30-min on NordicTrak............this RestDay Concept isn't working well for me

....................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Aamos - I listen to podcasts all the time on my LRs.  I'll have to download that one.  Thanks ~

Re Computers - We've had both Dell and HP with no problems with either one.  We are replacing an HP with a Dell this time around because the price was good.  The only reason we're ditching the HP is because it's old and I know one of these days it's going to up and crash on me (hence, I now have an external backup connected for The Hub's business).  And that's the extent of computer knowledge.  Now, if you need some transcription done . . . .

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Well...I came on here to talk about everybody and then add a little bit about my run but I started watching tomwhite's video and, now, I don't have any time!  But it was well worth it!

Gotta go!  See ya!

Technically, I should start tomorrow's daily instead of posting here, since it was tomorrow this morning when I ran today. The wonders of crossing the international date line! I managed 15km on a TM. I got on the blasted machine because it was pitch dark at 5:30am when I got ready to do. I nearly died from the humidity level in the gym here at the hotel The, so far as I can tell, unairconditioned gym!  Later on I went on a walk through Singapore. Interesting city. Glad I do not live here! Think of the Las Vegas strip in a Manhattan sized package. What really amazed me where the number of mid day joggers! Air like soup. I am walking and sweating like I am running a 10k in the middle of the summer and these people are running! Just incredible.

About those PCs, wild horses would not get me to buy Dell again. I have had several just fall apart. No other brand that I have had has done as poorly in terms of longevity. That said my school's IT department seems to encourage people to buy them.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

Re: computers, I just generally buy what is on sale at Newegg,com.  I have never actually repaired a computer, but generally retire them at about 9 years old.  Our current desktop is a Lenovo, and I think we have had it for maybe 5 years with no problems.  DS has I believe an Asus in his room, which has some additional stuff for his gaming, and his is maybe 4 years old.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."