Masters Running

Problem with Your Hammy(ies)? Let's Commiserate! (Read 31 times)

JLynne - PRP seems to be the thing to do right now, but I'm not convinced there's enough evidence that it works.  I do know that hamstring issues take a l-o-n-g time to heal.  It can be very frustrating, but a lot of it truly is time and patience, and then being very dedicated about ham/glute/hip exercises for basically forever.

There's a great FB page - Proximal Hamstring Tendinopathy Help and Support where you can find a lot of great information.  I got some good info from a couple of posts here, as well: https://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/c9f52d0e43f445f5b740454b060b3f13/resume#focus

Hang in there, everyone.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mike E

MM #5615

I sure do wish I had answers for you guys.

I have, definitely, had my fair share of injuries--including a strained hamstring that I thought might be the final blow that would knock me out of ever running again.  While I still have a knot in my left glute that gives me a varied amount of discomfort from day to day, I feel very fortunate to be able to run.  I'm not really sure what got me through the issue but I did see a chiropractor who did various things to my glute and hamstring.  I'm not sure if it would have healed on it's own, or not.

There really aren't very many days, though, that something isn't hurting during a run.  I'm hoping my new chiropractor can help.

In my daily prayers, I pray for all my injured Running Ahead friends...but I have just been grouping everybody together.  From now on, I will pray for each of you by name.

By the way, Jeanne--if you didn't tell anybody you are over 60, nobody would ever know...seriously.

Okay--I'll get out of here, now.  See ya!

Thanks, Mike.  

Sometimes I'm surprised at how many people end up with hamstring issues, but I think a big part of it is no strengthening or inappropriate strength training.  Even though I've always been a big proponent of ST, I've definitely neglected incorporating the right ST, which means getting the glutes much more involved than I think most runners have a tendency to do.

For people I've been "chatting" with about this issue, once it pops up, it's more likely to come back, so folks need to be very diligent and committed about making ST a part of their training.  I've been consistent these past couple of weeks and I can definitely tell a difference in how my hamstring feels.  Now I just need to get the bursa issue under control. There are some great videos through "The Run Experience" on youtube.  Just type in "The Run Experience Hamstring."

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Bumping this up.   One thing the sports doc said yesterday was that he didn't want to add any more exercises for me yet because it could be too much.  He's having me do the ones that really target the glutes but not as much the hamstring (so no swiss ball pullins or whatever).  I'm always inclined to want to do everything, so this was good advice.  I'm doing mainly bridges and the eccentric slide out with my foot while I'm in a bridge.  Also the flossing thing.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth