Masters Running

Last Day Daily, 12.31.12 (Read 314 times)

evanflein

I hope Twocat's ankle is on the mend, and Lamerunner finds out what is ailing the knee. I don't even wanna know how Janie got poison ivy from her Christmas tree....

Thanks for the Dave Barry link, Marj! I love that guy but don't read him often. Our paper dropped him a few years ago, too.

Someone is looking out for you, MikeE, and good that you got to run with DD. And no, don't go out for more.

Good idea, Drake! We've done that before and it really is a nice break.

Blah, blah, blah, football....vikings... jets... whatever... blah, blah, blah. Geez... what is this thread again? Wink

Back from a weekend in Seattle, an end-of-year gift from DH and me to each other. The idea was to escape the relentless lock of cold weather here, but wouldn't you know it, it warmed up quite nicely this weekend! Figures. Oh well, got in a nice 12 mile run along the waterfront yesterday morning to make 40 miles for the week, first 40-mile week in a long time!

Today it's 33° already this morning and I have the day off! (Good thing since we got home at 2 a.m. last night...) Sounds like a good day to go for a long-ish run down the trail! I need 13 miles to hit 1,900 for the year... only 100 off my annual 2,000 mile goal, but a far cry from last year when I had a year like Wildchild had this year (aren't those fun!?). Normally I wouldn't do 13 after 12 when I'm in the rebuilding mileage process, but what the heck. I can "rest" tomorrow.

Happy new year to all of you, and yes please have a fun, enjoyable and safe night tonight!

......my christmas tree gave me a bad case of poison ivy,,,,,,,,

..I'm sorry janie, but that Line is Hilarious////////

==========

2012 in Review

Slacker.

Negative Miles for the Year.

Planked Out in November.

Situation Normal,

we Press On into 2013>>>>>>>>YOWZA

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

mrrun

I don't think dave barry does columns any more.  it stopped several years ago and i occasionally see his writing in the washington post - not sure where else it appears.

have a great evening everyone!

Happy New Year's Eve all.  My you all remain injury free in the coming year.

evanflein this is the fan base self pity forum.  What did you think it was?  Confused

My DW did a TM run this morning after having decided it was too cold out to run.  I am pretty sympathetic to that given it was in the 20's.  No I do not want to hear from the Alaska peanut gallery on this!  That means you evanflein and rhoon phast.  I view cold as anything below 72° so there!  Cool  As for me it was a morning of weights and a new exercise to me by my PT.  Heel walking first with my toes pointed out then with them pointed in.  I am supposed to do those and some others a few times a day.  Yawn.  But I do them.

A question for you all:  At midnight it will just be my DW and me.  If we open a bottle of sparkling wine there is no way we will finish it and it will not keep.  Given the amount we are likely to drink we are not so psyched to waste that much of a bottle.  So what would you do as an alternative?  Just a regular ol' bottle?  A non-sparkling but very good bottle?  Something not made from a grape?

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Bushrat Runner

Peanut gallery silence observed...

Swam a mile this morning. Tomorrow we are planning to run. But the wind has picked up, it's already 21 gusting 29 out there and it is headed for 55 mph...so they say...

Hopefully the timing is as they forecast and the peak will be past by daylight tomorrow. If so, we're planning to venture out on the icy roads somewhere for a good introduction to the new year. If we survive, I'll report on it...

Come on, Twocat -- if you and Mrs Twocat were in your 20's there would be no question! Open up that bubbly and drink like sailors! Right before you pass out (timing is tricky here), cap it and stick it in your fridge, then set your alarm for 6am and greet the new day with mimosas. Oh, and reporting in today with a rest day spent at work, pushing through an accreditation report. Zzzzz. I shall toast the new year with a...big glass of skim milk? Woot!

King of PhotoShop

twocat, save it and cook with it.  There is always something that needs a splash of a dry white in a saute, and happy new year to you.  I so enjoy all your posts, smart, insightful and talented.

Maine, you are right.  It's tough being a Jets fan. But today we got some great news with an important firing!

Got 4.5 miles in this morning...gave me 158 for the month...I'm very pleased with myself....my core workouts start tomorrow to get rid of the rest of my belly and hopefully increasing my odds of finishing a marathon standing up...

Happy New Year...

Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                  evanflein

Ha! Twocat, you're too funny. And I like Econo's idea for the sparkling wine, works for me! But then again, we frequently open a bottle of bubbly the night before, and finish it the next day with something like crab-eggs-benedict for a holiday breakfast. Always still plenty bubbly! We stop it up with the "vacu-vin" stoppers, just don't suck the air out like a regular bottle.

We're having the most wonderful weather these days! It was 33° at the start of my run at the top of the trail (which I thought would be in good shape but it was really messed up!), and dropped as I went down the hill, but only to 20° at the low point. Problem is, by then I was sweaty and wet so got chilled for my last 4 miles. But, mission accomplished! 13.1 miles to give me 1900 for the year. Short the original goal by 100 but with all the carp I've dealt with this year, I'm very pleased with that. After I got home and ready to hit the shower, my renaud's had kicked in pretty hard and my fingers from middle knuckle to the tips were totally white and numb. That is so annoying, and freaked DS1 out completely. Nice hot shower set everything all right though, so now just have aching quads to deal with. Oh, this is my first 25 mile "weekend" since before Equinox!

Bushrat Runner

Nice, Erika. And great job getting to 1900 for the year.

Marathon Maniac #957

The kiddo is at his last day of intensive driver's ed (30 hours in 5 days)

In Ohio the do 24 hours of in-class training and 8 hours of driving with the instructor, but it was one class/week over 6-8 weeks.  DS completed that, but now needs to complete 50 hours of driving with one of his parents in the car, which is slow-going, because he is only allowed one other person in the car at a time, and, other than the commute to work, the rest of our driving is pretty local, or with the whole family.

Only 1 mile for me on Monday, following 30 minutes of core and weights.

Monday was a long workday, but I have Tuesday off....then on Wednesday we move our office (the snowstorm delayed this from last week).  With so much work to do, I hope the downtime isn't long.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

Blah, blah, blah, football....vikings... jets... whatever... blah, blah, blah.

Hey, that's what I heard, too!  Big grin

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."