Masters Running

Thursday, 10.13.16 (Read 33 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

So, the Portland Marathon gave a lot of racers a little bonus. Was Mike the only RA racer who missed out? Get your money back, Mike!

Congrats on the further and faster run, Dave. So, you found the 'cat nest,' eh? Now it'll have to find another place. We have a couple of strategically-placed blankets for our cat, and, of course, a cardboard box or two. My mother used to say that if she couldn't have a meal ready in 20 minutes, she wasn't interested. We have a few dishes that can be prepared pretty quickly for when we are late to eat.

Nice cloudy and cool 5er, Aamos. Did we miss Erika's birthday?? If so, HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY, ERIKA!! (If not, never mind.)

Only Holly can make a poncho look good! Good for you for taking some post-race time off so you don't relapse.

I'm glad you're recovered, Tet, and that you got your 'mute done before all weather heck broke loose!

Jlynne, you have a standing invite for whenever you are in NH. And you will not be cutting squash. Nice mild-weather 4 miler.

I'm glad Starr is still livin' the Portland dream - enjoy!

Enke's already looking forward to her next half-mary! (Don't tell Ribs...) Meanwhile, good 4-miler.

Twocat seems to be in mini-taper mode for his half on Saturday.

Nice run double-up for a ketchup, LaT.

Well, I think I overdid it, in regard to my knot, during my workout yesterday morning, 'cause it was a pain in my butt all day. So I did some more rolling around on the lacrosse ball and my foam roller last night, and took this morning off. I'm still achy, so I'll just see what today brings. I'll be doing some glute activation exercises at my stand-up desk, so it's a good thing no one sits behind me...

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

Morning, Jay, and all to follow.  Still busy at work, so no time to linger.

4 miles for me today in 53 degrees.

Happy Thursday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Head Procrastinator

Hi RA'ers

Still trying to get in the swing of things here.

3.3 for me this morning, nice at 50° saw the sunrise.

~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

morning jay and holly and hally and others,

especially if posie and leslie can pop in about the weekend's festivities. .

With all the "heck" breaking loose this morning as predicted, too wet and dreary for anyone to want to go running, . . . unless they've paid more than $100 to do it so maybe I'll just daze and dream about whether those of us in the last corral H might have been delayed by the apparent course deviation longer than the 7min / 35sec I was over six hours.   If so, watch out Seattle Marathon, after all. We'll see

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

SteveP

Fly by. DD#2 sent a text: "Jude wore his batman shirt the other day. As soon as I put it on him he says "like grampy!!" And then he slept with it under his Jammie's and the next day I took it off and he said "batman shirt, like grampy!!"

Give him 50 or so years. He'll outgrow this phase.

SteveP

Dave59

I went to the gym for a short ride on the ARC at lunch. It appears that I survived another round of cuts at work.  Unfortunately I can't say the same for the IT manager here in WV who has been with the company for 25+ years.  I report to the corporate head of IT in Dallas so he wasn't my personal manager, but he did run things in my local office.

Sayhey! MM#130

WOW!

"Though I know that evenings empire has returned into sand
                Vanished from my hand
                Left me blindly here to stand but still not sleeping
                My weariness amazes me, I'm branded on my feet
                I have no one to meet
                And the ancient empty street's too dead for dreaming..."

All that's left is for him to become Sir Bob!  Minnesota Pride, anyone??

Oh, just 5.5 in the coolth.  Stayed under 80 all run long!

GRINS,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

First post in almost a week.  ribs, it's good to hear about your comeback progress.  Great job in Portland for all involved.  wild, nice trail race.  jlynne, good going on your leg of the half.  Jay, congrats on your best 5K in a couple of years.  steve, good job in Evart and keep the dog pictures coming.  Jay, sorry to hear about your shortened workout.  RCG, I hope you don't have too big of a setback.  evan, re your Roanoke, VA visit.  I have a cousin who's a professor at Roanoke College.

Nice long runs for Twocat and Aamos.

Tomorrow morning, very early, we are leaving with the trailer to spend some time with my wife's brother in the Keweenaw Penninsula of Michigan.   For those of you not familiar with it, it's almost at the west end of the upper peninsula and sticks up into Lake Superior.  Isle Royal National Park is in Lake Superior to the north.  It's also about 500 miles from where we live.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Hey friends - so good catching up in here!!

Crazy about the over distance at PM!!

Sorry about your ouchie Jay!! Hope it heals quickly - I need to stay on top of those glute activation exercises as well!!

Jude sounds adorable SteveP!

Safe travels TSelbs!!

If we are FB friends, you may have seen the flood of pictures posted today from my son's wedding last month. I cried again today remembering how much joy I felt that day and how happy I am for those two!!

Almost crawled back under the covers this morning when my alarm went off at 5am but so glad I didn't!! Met my Sole Sister friends at 5:30 and ran 5 with them then added on another 3.1 solo - felt so good, but I really need a day of core strength and glute work tomorrow!!

Have to work night shift 7p-7a Friday and Sat nights then again Mon night - haven't done a 12 hour night shift in a long while - hope I make it through!!

denise

evanflein

Did we miss Erika's birthday?? If so, HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY, ERIKA!! (If not, never mind.)

Oh, absolutely it was my birthday (Wednesday)! Hey, I spent most of it in a car or a plane, so the celebration was last weekend. Your cake serves as my birthday cake and it was delicious!

Pretty crazy to hear about the missed turn and extra distance at the Portland Marathon. We had that problem last year at the first 5k of our series, but in a big 5k... that's pretty amazing.

Hope you get that knot in your butt worked out, Jay. Those are the most annoying conditions. I wouldn't call it an injury but just something you need to work through.

The problem with taking time off is the hole you need to dig yourself out from when you get back. For all the talk of "unplugging" and taking time off, it's a pretty full stressful day on the first day back. I had my laptop with me, and checked, cleaned out and answered e-mail every day, but it was still a lot of things I needed to follow up on. I worked straight through all day and left a little after 5, came home and went for a run on my "home route," which means even a slow pace on the way back up the hill wasn't really "easy." Good to get out though, and started tackling the laundry load from our trip.

SteveP

Tomorrow morning, very early, we are leaving with the trailer to spend some time with my wife's brother in the Keweenaw Penninsula of Michigan.   For those of you not familiar with it, it's almost at the west end of the upper peninsula and sticks up into Lake Superior.  Isle Royal National Park is in Lake Superior to the north.  It's also about 500 miles from where we live.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

I'm extremely envious TomS. It would be greta to get DW up there for a trip.

I had a delivery in Eagle Harbor and could not believe I was getting paid to tour the coastline.

SteveP

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Good morning. I ran very little last week and only logged one run of 4.5 miles while in Ottawa. When I downloaded the run (or is the term uploaded?) the route looked like an igloo. Made me giggle.

Anyway, so far this week I have only run 2 short but relatively quicker runs. I really need to find a race or something to force me to keep up my longer distances base because as I feared, I get lazy once my race is over and then lose it all and have to start back from scratch

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Marathon Maniac #957

those of us in the last corral H might have been delayed by the apparent course deviation longer than the 7min / 35sec I was over six hours.   If so, watch out Seattle Marathon, after all. We'll see

That's right, you would likely have had a sub-6 or close.  I think you can request they adjust your time due to the foul up.

Erika - tough way to spend a birthday, but at least you got to celebrate it beforehand.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Oh, I know VERY WELL where the Keweenaw Peninsula is! DS#1 went to Michigan Tech in Houghton. You have to really like winter to live up there!! Hey TwoCat - that might be a place for you to consider when you look for retirement locations  I think the average snowfall up there is like 350 inches....