Masters Running

Tuesday 2/5/19 (Read 42 times)

Yup; same weekend ten years ago. WRFB and PDR were in Rhode Island and got worse weather, I think. I was in MA (Baystate) and got lots of cold rain in the second half of the marathon, which turned to snow in places as I drove home. Not so fun. (And Holly, I think that's about 9 hours for me, though on that day I suspect it was longer.) I think Deez ran the half that day (or volunteered?), too.

I remember that weekend too!! I ran the half at Baystate that year and only had to drive 1 city to home - love local races!!

Thanks for the great recap Steve!!

Leslie - Shorty sounds like he's doing really well, sorry the other guy was such a jerk!!

Stumpy - I think that cauliflower recipe would be great with buffalo sauce as well. I'm going to give it a try as I'm not a fan of bbq sauce.

SurlyBill - congrats on the surprise 50k and Happy Birthday!!

I worked Sunday and Monday so watched the game with work friends and slept in a call room again. Makes the commute aka walk up the stairs on Monday so nice!! I liked that the game wasn't a blow out even tho it was the biggest point spread the Patriots have won a Superbowl by in a very long time - maybe ever!! Very proud of our team!!

Today computraining x 1 hour then outside for 3.1 miles in SHORTS and SHORT Sleeves!! My ouchie is feeling better, my hair stylist did a great job making my hair look better and Justin is doing really good 1 week post-op!! Feeling very thankful!!

denise

wildchild

Carolyn

Greetings, all.  Short burst of springtime today.  Made it out this morning for 3.1 lake loop all by myself.  somewhere around 40°, so shorts weather in February--can't beat it!  Still slow as molasses, but this time, slightly warmer molasses at least.

Stumpy, this made me laugh!

Surly Bill, I'll add my congrats on your birthday 50k!  I enjoy small races like that.

I met two friends for a 9.5 mile trail run this morning. It was warm (40s) and sunny, and the trails had a bit of everything: snow, ice, mud, and bare dirt.  We chose to stay up higher in the woods, where spikes made the running quite nice on packed snow and ice.  Down lower it was too muddy.

I'm assuming you all heard about the trail runner in Colorado who was attacked by a mountain lion this weekend?  He fought it off and actually killed it, and got himself out to a hospital.  He's injured, but okay.  Everyone here is kind of freaked out about it.   Also, a few weeks ago, one of the parks where I run regularly posed a picture from a webcam showing a mountain lion at one of the trail junctions.  My friends and I thought: wait, there's a camera there?  We've stopped to pee at that junction before! 

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

pfriese

A ran a little over 7 miles on this cool, foggy, & drizzly  afternoon.

Paul

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I'm assuming you all heard about the trail runner in Colorado who was attacked by a mountain lion this weekend?  He fought it off and actually killed it, and got himself out to a hospital.  He's injured, but okay.  Everyone here is kind of freaked out about it.   Also, a few weeks ago, one of the parks where I run regularly posed a picture from a webcam showing a mountain lion at one of the trail junctions.  My friends and I thought: wait, there's a camera there?  We've stopped to pee at that junction before! 

I like that you're more worried about a camera than a mountain lion.  And WOW, I would not mess with that guy!!

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Joe618

Yikes!   I had not heard about that.   Scary indeed.   And he killed the lion??   Did he have a knife with him?????

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

I don't think he had a knife, Joe. He suffocated the mountain lion.

We had to leave work early because for some reason the power went out in the area (no storms or anything) and it wasn't coming back very soon.  We have an emergency generator but it doesn't power non-essential functions.  So-   2.2 treadmill miles when I got home.    5.3 miles for the day.     My face is burning- mildly uncomfortable.

Trying to decide which will be less stressful for me tonight-  Vandy v Arkansas on TV (will likely not go well) or the State of the Union/rebuttal.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

My friends and I thought: wait, there's a camera there?  We've stopped to pee at that junction before! 

OMG!  That's what would come to my mind first, too! 

And it's amazing what a person can do when his/her life is at stake.

I just wanted to thank you all for the positive comments about The Hub.  He and I have talked regularly about how there are going to be people who are not able to forgive him and that's understandable.  But we know he has done everything humanly possible to atone for what he did, and personally I think it's a shame that some folks aren't able to get past the past and see him for who he is now.  Because, believe me, the guy he was 7+ years ago isn't anything like the man he is now and I am very proud of how he's turned his life around.  A lot of folks aren't able to do what he's done, let alone "make it" on his first try, and I try to never take his sobriety for granted because it truly is one day at a time.  We are only guaranteed the here and now.  And we are blessed.

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

RunnerKSA I am going with attend a meeting of a local neighborhood group, rather than TV. Way more boring but perhaps less stressful.

wildchild yea, those mountain lions are nothing compared to the cameras that might be lurking! stumpy77 that is what I thought too.

henrun and deez4boyz yeah the weather today was great in the north east. If only it would last . . . 

fatozzig good call on the car. My surgeon told me that a post op fall was about the number one way to have the surgery go wrong. I have been super paranoid ever since.

evanflein I love that you keep track of the number of hours and minutes of daylight you have along with the weather.

This morning I did my rehab 1.25 mile run. My PT must think that I am making pretty good progress since she told me to run again tomorrow. Who am I to argue? If all goes well she says she may bump me up to 1.5 miles this weekend.

<<Mini Rant Start>> The IT group where I work is about the most inept in the whole country! I have several new research assistants this semester. They all need accounts on the research servers. Every single account has been #$%@# up by IT! EVERY ONE!!! This has required them to each go down to IT to straighten out their access in person. Needless to say this is costing me a week of lost time and money since I am paying them to go down and spend the time needed to get on the server. <<Mini Rant End>>

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Nothing today, 2nd rest day after race. But surprisingly nothing is sore, even my patella tendon that felt like it had an ice pick wedged in there feels perfectly fine today.

Read about the cat. The guy strangled it to death. Now we know IT CAN BE DONE. At least with a juvenile cat. I've never been lucky enough to see one, lots of bears, but never a cat.

Also about the cams; I have some friends who have a lot of cams set up around Bluff Creek. They get regular pics of cats and bears and deer, but they also have a few of Humboldt Martens. They are on the verge of extinction, and their pics showed there were still a few in that area. I think they have their fair share of pics/footage of people peeing or picking their nose on one of the more used trails down into Bluff Creek.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

We got about 3 inches of snow and you would think we got 3 feet.  It took me an hour and a half to go someplace that should have taken me twenty minutes.

Colorado runners are tough!

I always assume there is a camera wherever I go.  If somebody wants to watch me pee...and as long as I can't hear them laugh...it's okay with me.

By the way Surly--happy birthday--but please don't ever try to throw me a surprise birthday party.

Shorty is cool.

It's a scheduled rest day, so I'm going to go and read a book.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

Joe618

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

Precisely what the dudes with the cameras at trail junctions say about over-hydrated runners.....

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Joe618

I just wanted to thank you all for the positive comments about The Hub.  He and I have talked regularly about how there are going to be people who are not able to forgive him and that's understandable.  But we know he has done everything humanly possible to atone for what he did, and personally I think it's a shame that some folks aren't able to get past the past and see him for who he is now.  Because, believe me, the guy he was 7+ years ago isn't anything like the man he is now and I am very proud of how he's turned his life around.  A lot of folks aren't able to do what he's done, let alone "make it" on his first try, and I try to never take his sobriety for granted because it truly is one day at a time.  We are only guaranteed the here and now.  And we are blessed.

Leslie, I'm very impressed with your husband.   The fact another didn't accept his sincere apology just puts it on him, not your Hub. 

My own extended family is racked with alcoholism and I've seen up close what it can do and have also seen a couple of them face it, sober up and redeem their lives.   My best to him and to you for all you mean...I understand that too. 

Yes, you are blessed. 

________

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Read about the cat. The guy strangled it to death. Now we know IT CAN BE DONE. At least with a juvenile cat. .

Sorry but I still don't believe it. Not that I care anymore but might as well try to tell me that, instead of handing the football to the league's leading rusher in the last minute of the 2015 Super Bowl with about a foot to go and four downs to do it to seal a second-in-a-row Super Bowl, our Seahawks coach would have our hapless quarterback pass, . . . right into the hands of the Pat's Malcolm Butler to ensure one more of their numerous Super Bowl championships.

Also about the cams; I have some friends who have a lot of cams set up around Bluff Creek. They get regular pics of cats and bears and deer, but they also have a few of Humboldt Martens. . . .  I think they have their fair share of pics/footage of people peeing or picking their nose on one of the more used trails down into Bluff Creek.

When i put my camera on time-lapse under a footbridge in bear country up in DD/GS-land a couple of years ago, even though nobody but the bears would probably see it, I put a notice with my name and contact. I don't like cameras taking pictures of me all over the place at Seattle intersections (and sometimes I let them know it) and think anyone doing the same where no one would think they'd be should be courteous enough to provide notice of it.

=================

Surprise 10 miles today.

After yesterday’s snow day, the initial wetfall froze up footprints on the sidewalks and tire furrows on the streets for concrete-hard, chunky, bumpy, slippery and dangerous walking as the snowfall stopped and evening temps dropped to 15F last night.

Therefore I decided to take the bus this morning but, first, checked that the city bus wasn’t on yesterday’s snow schedule and for sure would be making its last stop on the island at the top of the hill about a quarter of a mile away as usual before going across the bridge so I wouldn’t have to walk an additional three-quarters of a mile on the frozen icepack to the county bus park’n’ride down in the valley and flats.  No indication that it wasn't not on regular schedule but, after going up and getting in line at the top of the hill with a dozen other commuters, as the sun starting to emerge over the crest, I started wondering why in the world someone who had all the time in the world to get where they needed to go would take the bus just because it was 15F and hard walking instead dressing for it to experience the freezing conditions that might never come again while I'm around so, when the city bus didn’t come after all and everyone got their cars out of the adjacent church parking lot and offered rides to the county park’n’ride, I went back to the house and got my trekking poles and pretended that I was back in the frozen north after all.  The poles probably saved me from several falls on frozen clumps of ice cluttering the entire way.   

Once, a couple of years ago when I took advantage of a rare thunderstorm, fierce winds blowing and splashing waves up-and-over the bridge railings along with heavy rain just to experience being out in the elements across the bridge, I recall noting a couple of hapless cyclist coming back from the other direction after getting caught on the other side.  However, this time, for some reason, I had the entire bridge (along with the bikeways on either side leading up to the bridge) all to myself.
                            I think Steve would’ve like it too.

At one point there were about a dozen cars and delivery trucks spinning their wheels trying to get up the last half block to the top of a short hill.  Everyone would surround a car when it started sliding backwards and brace themselves against other cars to prevent unnecessary scratches and dents during the hapless, slow motion slide back down to the bottom.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

Figures Tet would be finding a way to enjoy the ice and snow they're experiencing. It's sure made things difficult for my dad and sister down there. The biggest issue is drivers not knowing how to deal with the conditions.

Got 6.1 miles on the treadmill done tonight with intervals; 3 x .5 mile @ 8:00 with .5 mile @ 8:34, then 3 x .1 mile @ 7:30 with .2 mile @ 8:34, then coasted to the finish. Not a big workout, but good to get some speedier bits in there.