Masters Running

February 16, running off the chocolate daily (Read 580 times)

Tramps

Tramps, we may not be thinking of the same Glen House. I am not sure if there is an official town of Glen; I think of it as the area near where 16 and 302 intersect;

Ah, I see the confusion: Glen is at the intersection of 16/302; Glen House is the spot at the base of the Mt. Washington Auto Road, further north on 16.  (There were several hotels there dating back to the mid-nineteenth century--thus the name.  They all burned down but they're building a new hotel this year, I understand.) 

Back in the days before 93 reached as far north, we used to drive 16 south every time we headed to southern NH, MA, etc.  Intervale was "down South" for us.

Be safe. Be kind.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Perch – very cool about the Elysium Expedition.  What is your brother’s area of expertise?  When the documentary is finished, please let us know – that would be something I’d very much like to see.

Holly.. He's a Marine Biologist from Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute specializing in plankton, especially Copepods (one of the main food sources in the planet). Instead of studying their distribution in the ocean with plankton nets, he uses a video plankton recorder (VPR) that takes microscope pictures every second and the computur identifies the species and size while they tow this behind a research vessel.  He has towed the VPR in all seas of the world. Copepods are the main dish for whales.  They also tow a camera that takes holographic images which hold alot of detailed information about the critters.  He's Chief Scientist on the Elysium Expedition.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

SteveP

Sorry for the fly by. I'll read and post later

Tag's very happy with today's mail.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly.. He's a Marine Biologist from Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute specializing in plankton, especially Copepods (one of the main food sources in the planet). Instead of studying their distribution in the ocean with plankton nets, he uses a video plankton recorder (VPR) that takes microscope pictures every second and the computur identifies the species and size while they tow this behind a research vessel.  He has towed the VPR in all seas of the world. Copepods are the main dish for whales.  They also tow a camera that takes holographic images which hold alot of detailed information about the critters.  He's Chief Scientist on the Elysium Expedition.

Wow!  That is SO COOL!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

SteveP

Kewl Mary!! So far DD#2 is joining us.

Thanks for the picture Tet!

No one's ever called me from Antartica  

Tramps, a Southern friend sent it to my e mail.

Did the spicey chili help or hurt DW's back??

Introducing the human antenna!!! The one and only WildChild!!

DG, It's May 1st in Holland MI.

Yeah for fish oil Enke!!!

5.25 Tag miles. The chucklehead ran through knee deep (on him) fresh snow..Then he stuck his face in it while running. Snow was thrown away from both sides of his head like the snow plow does. He picked his head up and his whole face was covered in powder. Nothing like this ever happened on my side of the family.

SteveP

Maniac 505

Busy day for everyone today.  I am just starting my week off,  I planned on 8 or so after I woke up this afternoon,  things came up (Routine life issues I will get to in a minute).  I have to turn myself around from working nights (After a 12 hour shift, I got off work at 6:00 this morning,   have to be at the Seattle Aquarium at 8:00 tomorrow morning).  There will be lots of copepods that I will have to scrape off the windows.  We might even have to give some fish baths to get rid of those nasty parasitical copepods.  oh,  and did I say  HAPPY BIRTHDAY PERCH  a phone call from Antarctica is so cool!!!

YAKTRAKSand options  The Maniacs had a thread last year for the best option for running in the weather so many of you are facing.  Yaktraks got poor reviews,  the guys who run hundreds of miles of trails in the snow say they tend to break.  screwed shoes were highly rated (I did this to a pair of hiking shoes for walking around town last yeat)  and the Kahatoola's in the above link were highly rated.  I bought a pair when REI got them in stock last spring,  haven't had a chance to use them yet.

Berger:  LOL  I have  an Alton Brown. pressure cooker chili recipe that calls for about a 1/2 can of Chipitole's,  I use a whole can (as Alton did on the show)  most people won't eat it.   And I am right with you about cooking.  I rarely go out to eat, but  when I vary much from recipes strange things happen.   I will gladly rip apart the biggest diesel engine in the world, but I am greatly awed by the creations so many of our running friends dream up.

Holly:  Thanks so much for the tape comeback.  I think I can picture it.  My big to nails are intact,  none of the others exist.  the tips of my toes are really callused,  it seems I curl my toes when I start getting tired and the nails and the tips get pounded.  sounds like it can't hurt to try the tape.

DG:  I can't add much to the suggestions.  I just did the math,  I first skied maybe 45 years ago.  25 years ago I was a ski bum and lived at a ski resort.  In the last 20 years I skied once (whistler last spring,  where the olympics are now)  It was a blast,  after one run I had a bit of confidence back.  I know nothing about snow boards,  no input on that, but I totally agree about lessons, but you don't have to make a life time commitment to lessons.  I would suggest,  take a couple lessons your first weekend,  this should teach you basic methods for turning and stopping on the bunny hill,  when you are comfortable with those techniques (after a few more ski weekends) take another lesson,  rinse and repeat.  Of course this depends on how often you are going to go skiing. 

So,  I planned on 5 - 8 miles today but I woke up and there was a puddle from melted ice and warm food in my refrigerator.   been busy cleaning it out,  I've found all kinds of interesting things,  10 year old condiments,  lots of things I wonder why I stopped using?   anyway,  I suppose lots of things need good purgings every 10 years or so?

Aquarium dive tomorrow, then off for a run.

Dave

evanflein

Love Tag's cape. I bet he's a lot of fun to play in the snow with.

4.3 blah miles tonight. It got very late, but I wanted to be sure to get my run in. Glad that's done.

Parent-teacher conference. The teachers love my kids. DS1 could do anything he wants if he'd only apply himself. DS2 is charming and smart and clever... and talks too much in class.  Oh well.