Masters Running

Marathon conflict - eeeeeek! (Read 286 times)

I just got word that a must-do business trip (that would have been the week after my first marathon -New Jersey, May 2) has been moved to the same weekend as the marathon.  I know that everything works out the way it should, and maybe I wouldn't be ready for a spring marathon anyway, but I want to keep myself motivated to do one this spring anyway, so . . .

Any suggestions for marathons that fit these parameters:

• between the second weekend in May and the end of June
    • if it's before 6/20, something within driving distance of Philly

I'm looking at Pocono on 5/16 or Vermont on 5/30.  Any thoughts about either of these?

The real bummer is that, since it's a scheduling conflict and not me wimping out, I'm going to miss both New Jersey and the Broad Street Run in Philly.  Guess the good news is that I can defer my NJ registration and I learned about the conflict before I booked the hotel.

It may turn out that my first marathon is Hartford in the fall!

Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

I loved Vermont (ran it in 08, I think) and you get free Ben & Jerry's 2x--at the expo and the finish.

And they have a fantastic drum crew at the one big hill in the course that is just transcendent.

grins,

A

Masters 2000 miles

I'll vouch for Vermont. I ran my first there, and it's a good spot for your first...plenty of water stations, nice course, supportive crowds, cool town, food at the end (though the Ben and Jerry's samples are a little small for someone who's just burned 3500+ calories), well-stocked expo, if you're into that. Book a room soon.

Jeez though....that must be 8 hours from Philly. Have you tried http://www.marathonguide.com/races/races.cfm? Lots of stuff there. And here.You've come to the right place...

Good luck!

Walt

MTA: I can't hot link to the Marathon Guide site. Hmmmmm.

Thanks, Amy and Walt.  I remember Amy mentioning the Ben & Jerry's at Vermont to me once before.  The link to marathonguide was helpful, and I may have a solution:  Delaware on May 16.  It's less than a 30-minute drive, even more convenient than New Jersey.

Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Ooooh......did that one too.  Lots of loops around and around again.

Maybe read the comments in Marathon Guide?  Not sure I'd pick that for my first one (but then, I did Bismarck for my first, so what do I know??)

Masters 2000 miles

jfa

If you would be ready in April, there's the Jersey Shore Relay Marathon here

Prince of Fatness

I can't help you with those races, but if you have decided on Delaware and are looking for a tune up race the Lehigh Valley Half Marathon is April 25 in Allentown, PA.

Not at it at all. 

Me

Eliz,

Laurie and I have been talking about hartford.  That will be my first marathon.

Mr. Phil, I'd like to do Lehigh Valley some day.  I was thinking of doing the Fool's Run this year since I did my undergrad at Kutztown and it would be like a trip down memory lane, but the memory of those hills is still way too vivid, even after so many years.  I do most of my long runs on a barrier island, you see, a very FLAT barrier island!  I'll get there some day, though.

Mike - I'm still thinking of doing something at Hartford this fall.  I'd really like to be part of a newbie meet-up.

I'm pretty sure Plan B is going to be to defer NJ until next year and do Delaware on 5/16 this year.  I've heard less-than-great things about the course, but it's a new course this year - still a double-loop, but through more parks and suburban-type areas.  It's close, so more friends and family can come more easily.  And it gives me two more weeks to train.  

Would still welcome other suggestions, though.  Thanks, everyone.  Smile

Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Prince of Fatness

Mr. Phil, I'd like to do Lehigh Valley some day.  I was thinking of doing the Fool's Run this year since I did my undergrad at Kutztown and it would be like a trip down memory lane, but the memory of those hills is still way too vivid, even after so many years.  I do most of my long runs on a barrier island, you see, a very FLAT barrier island!  I'll get there some day, though.

Lehigh Valley is one of my favorites.  Sign up early if you do it.  Last year it filled in February I believe.  Good crowd support, bands, well run, etc.  Oh, and if you want race day packet pickup you have to sign up and pay for it when you register.

I ran Fool's Run last year and will do it again.  The hills are challenging but fair.  It's a good spring tuneup race.  Cheap, small, no frills, but well run and challenging.

I'm just over the river from Easton in NJ so these races are pretty easy for me to get to.

Not at it at all.