Masters Running

Race reports for November 16 & 17 weekend (Read 20 times)

Mariposai

Wishing our intrepid racers great fun.

We do look forward to reading your race reports ,

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Excellent 10k this morning on the border with Mexico, about an hour from here.  I feel very fortunate to live in this area, in spite of what some people think about it.  Juarez is a big city with an awesome running group and they were out in full force.  El Paso also had a lot of runners and we had a small but mighty contingent representing Las Cruces, NM.  We carpooled and it was nice to ride down with them while I munched on a bagel and drank coffee.  I had covered my end of the deal earlier on Thursday after work when I offered to pick up the race packets down there!

We had just the right amount of time to warm up and off we went, almost 900 runners, in downtown El Paso.  We went by the AAA ballpark and there's some nice little hills there.  Then we headed back south and across the border.  I had my passport in a zippered pocket of my jacket, and it got a little warm for that, but it beat the alternative, which was to carry it in my hand like last time!  Didn't look at my watch and just soaked in the experience, lots of people on the course over there with encouraging words in Spanish and English.  Great party atmosphere at the finish con musica and, wait for it....I got to meet Beto O'Rourke, who ran the race like last time, and got my picture with him!  One of my friends got an AG award, so we stayed around for the ceremony and then strolled down the street to the border (a different route than we ran, so that was a little confusing).  Went out to eat, Mexican food of course, back in El Paso, and then back at the carpool meetup spot (the old Kmart parking lot) we went our separate ways, happy as clams.  Didn't have a hard and fast time goal but of course I wanted to break an hour.  58 minutes would have been nice because I'm 58 years old!  My watch says 59:35 because I pushed start at the start but the chip timing at this race was goofy like so many here where they don't have a chip mat at the start, only the finish, so my official time is a little over an hour because I started a little ways back in the pack.  I finished 20th in my AG and yes, there were quite a few more than 20.  447 overall so that's a solid midpack performance.  Got my HR up to 184 and one of our group is a young doctor/resident and he was surprised at my age I can still get it that high.  Thanks!

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

TammyinGP

nice work Opie! sounds like a very cool and fun race!

Tammy

spinach

We had a race on campus Saturday. It was a little difficult because it was a trail in the woods and there were a lot of down hills which my doctor told me not to run.. I ignored that but i walked down two of them.I ran because a student encouraged  me to run it.  It was a race for the ROTC for the three campuses in the area around St Cloud.  It was a slow run but I did ok I finishing second in the 40+ age group. The guy who beat me in that age group  was at least 20 years younger than me. The prize we got for the age groups were a hatchet.  I have won a lot of prizes before at races but i never won a hatchet before.. I actually have a wood in the yard and i will be able to use the hatchet on some of the smaller wood to split for the kinder.

Another good race for November. I think my time was 23:45 for the 5k and I was fourth or fifth in the finish. It was good to see some students and they will see some areas beside the mathematics they see in my class.

Very nice, Spinach!

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

TammyinGP

excellent Spinach!

I ran a 10 mile trail run in Ashland on Saturday.  I haven't run this one before because frankly the Ashland trail runs intimidate me! those mountain trails are no joke and quite challenging! this was a real scenic race, especially as you get up near around 4000 ft and have views of the mountains all around. 

Had a great time and finished in about what I figured it would take me to finish a tough 10 miler with about the first 4 miles of mostly climbing. 
              2:16:53

5/6 in my AG

37/42 OA, so YAY I wasn't last!  lol. 

weather was so perfect too - like mid 40s to start maybe and 50-ish by the finish. We've had an unusually dry and mild fall and while that's not necessarily good for our region, it sure has been nice for getting outdoors and running.

Here's the elev map for the 10 miler:
              No photo description available.

Tammy

WTG, Tammy!  That's a lot of climbing.

Joe618

Opie, Spinach, Tammy, great running each of you!!    Congrats!!  Enjoyed reading the reports.

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

pfriese

Nice racing Opie & Tammy.

Paul

an amazing likeness

Here's the elev map for the 10 miler:
                      No photo description available.

That's just cruel.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.