Masters Running

Turkey Vulture Trot 5K and Fun Run (Read 248 times)

SteveP

The Turkey Vulture Tort is a small town race that’s slowly growing.  It’s put on by Crystal Mountain Resort and all of the proceeds support “Wings of Wonder”; A group that rehabs birds of prey with the intent of returning the to the wild. This seemed appropriate. I’ve been dancing around an AT for way too long. Every time there is progress, I wind up with a set back.

The morning got off to a rough start. As to not wake DW, I got dressed in the dark. I discovered that I accidentally put on one of her female undergarments. Later straps and hooks kept getting tangled in my back hair. Tag knows the routines and was getting more worked up as the morning progressed. The bad news was, “Wings of Wonder” have live birds at the race. Tasty, tasty, live birds. The poor guy was all dressed up with no place to go.

As I’ve been lacking in races this year, it was wonderful to see some long lost faces; most notably, John2 and Lisa. John2 has become a multi-sport guy and Lisa could be the poster child for determination. One guy mentioned I was in his AG, he was in the 60+ group. I’m 12 years shy of that and nearly had a stroke. The only thing worse was the rain. The way it was falling, every one knew in their hearts it was going to be an all day rain. Out of nearly 100 people, I was the only one in a black, ribbed Batman tank top.

The course is a simple loop. Hills out. Hills around. Hills back. The last few races, I’ve focused on my AT and I told John that I wasn’t out for hardware. We finished to first mile in about 8:00. My goal pace was a 10:00Min. mile. I decided to kick it down a notch. Just before the last mile, a guy wearing a Detroit Lions jersey passed me and that didn’t seem right. I felt good and decided to pick it up more. Then I reeled people in and finished all out, neck and neck with another runner. Though I finished mid pack, I was disappointed in the final time of 31:24. When it was announced that the course was 4/10 of a mile long, my pace wound up at 8:59. Kewl…And I felt good. Kewl.

Tag was looking out from the truck crying. Not kewl. He and I went and meet up with the racers still out of the course and ran the DGL in.

With 5 min to the 2nd race, the dog got put back into the truck and he pouted. I used him and he knew it. While he was doing the meet and greet with racers and wanting to tear loose, I was keeping my legs limber and warmed up for the mile run. I put on a dry shirt and the Batman gloves DD#2 got me. They went up to my elbows and John2 said I need to wear them at every race.

There were 30 or so people in the Mile Fun Run. Most of them had also been in the 5K. At the start, all kinds of people passed me. As soon as we crested the first hill, all but a couple dropped back. I was left running with teenagers. Two of them were flying. I tried bringing them in, but no luck. I finished a full minute behind the girl who was 1st/OA with a time of 8:39. 3rd/OA and 1st in Masters. And I felt good. Pukey, but good. At the awards, I got a ski pass…..Kewl kewl kewl.

Tag and I went out for another mile, but it wasn’t the same. He refused to get back into the truck and ignored me for the rest of the day. I even stopped and bought him treats. He took them but wouldn’t look at me the rest of the way home.

SteveP

Nice job in both races, steve.  3rd OA and 1st Masters in the 2nd race is especially great.  It's too bad Tag couldn't particapate.  I'm sure he'll eventually forgive you.

TomS

Out of nearly 100 people, I was the only one in a black, ribbed Batman tank top.

Yeh, but there were others in black Batman tanks with no ribs.....surely. 

Great fun....congrats Steve! 

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
        SteveP

Don't call me "Surely"

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

3rd OA and 1st Masters – congratulations!  Well done!  And winning a ski pass, too – way to go!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Poor Tag, left to pout in the truck while you had all the fun. I'm sure you'll find a race you can both run together so he'll forgive you. And good grief, Steve, I hope you at least wore the right undergarments so your straps weren't showing under the black, ribbed Batman tank top.