Masters Running

Tuesday's Daily, 8.22.17 (Read 38 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Monday’s workouts:
    Tramps (20 humid bike miles)
    Dave (3.74 humid morning miles with hillage)
    Holly (30 min of weights & core)
    RunnerKSA (3.1 miles then heading home)
    Rochrunner (4 sluggish, sock-squishing H&H miles)
    Tammy (4 morning, pre-XC team practice miles)
    Mike (8 miles, including 3 at tempo pace)

BTY (4 afternoon run miles + 1 hr evening track walk)

Spacityrunner (2.1 sunset miles in HHH)

Tet (eclipse swimming with ducks & geese)

Twocat (20 miles with 5 at marathon pace)

Catwhoorg (5 lunchtime run miles + 16 post-work bike miles)

Interesting eclipse stories here from across the country. There were all kinds of eclipse reviews on the news, but those who got the whole deal seemed quite impressed. It was pretty cool when I watched it on the evening news. We, like Marj, had about 65% coverage, and it was different, but not a huge deal. On to 2024 - should we make our hotel reservations in northern NH now?

Good job on the hills, Dave. Enjoy the cooler weather.

Good business stop on the way home, RunnerKSA. “Keep the rubber side down” is good advice for runner (and walkers) too.

Nice eclipse bonus for your hometown, Tomwhite. I hope they get those potholes filled.

Rochrunner, around here, more often than not, the humidity is highest just before dawn. However, the temp is usually lower then, so it’s a good time to get out, if you can pass up the coffee, paper, and pals meet-up.

Great work on the 20 on Sunday, Evanflein! Thanks for the link to Relive - looks pretty cool - I may give it a try.

Too bad your thunderstorm mimicked the eclipse, but wasn’t it. Starr. I’m glad you saved the money on those glasses.

Keep enjoying your solitude while it lasts, Fatozzig.

Have fun with GD1 & DD today, Marj.

I’m glad you and Bella had fun at XC practice, Tammy.

Good for you for getting your eclipse glimpse, Holly. Yes, a rather insensitive boss…

I hope you had a good meeting, Mike.

Nice multitasking, BTY.

Hi Deeze! Good job on surviving your long work shifts, and good luck and have fun on the 27th. Being excited and nervous is a good way to be pre-race.

I'm glad you and the ducks and geese didn't get ruffled feathers over the eclipse, Tet. Good $2 score on the glasses.

Nice long run, Twocat.

I watched a video yesterday of a guy racewalking at 5.3 min/mile on a treadmill, and tried to emulate that speed of leg turnover on my workout this morning. Of course, I was nowhere near close to that speed, but I was faster than my average workout over the 6.3 miles. Yep - visualization helps.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Thanks for the start, Jay!

At 80% coverage yesterday, it hardly darkened at all and especially not noticeable since we had a few clouds going over. When my neighbor brought over a suitable pair of welding glasses, we were quite impressed, but apparently anything short of 100% is really not the same. So we're already planning on going to see the total eclipse in 2024, which will pass only 100 miles or so away in northern Ohio. Holly, it looks to me like Dayton is right in the full-eclipse zone!

Looks like my Tuesday bike ride will be a rainout so I'll be heading up to Planet Fitness in a few minutes to do some indoor strength work.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Y'all have been busy!  Hard to keep up with everyone from the car/plane yesterday.   Tough travel day- plane was an hour late leaving Denver (after the 5 hour drive) and then a lot of bags didn't get put on the flight- including ours.  Long line to file the claim report at SW baggage in Nashville.  Home late with no baggage.  Should arrive late this morning.  At least we were coming home and had everything we needed, really.

2.6 horrible, humid miles this morning.  Big change and I got out there too late.    2.5 miles on the treadmill in too warm, humid basement after work.  Weather is going to break late tomorrow!   5.1 for the day.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

...the corona yesterday was pretty neat,

but

the Coolest Part was the ''Solar Snakes''...........didn't expect to see them, but they preceded the Total Eclipse

I think

the word I'm looking for is '' Amazing''

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVBBEKVcLxI

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

pfriese

Morning.

I'm finally back home & can post from a computer instead of a phone. I updated the racing calendar, hopefully it is accurate & I didn't miss any race postings. Let me know if I missed something. It will take awhile to catch up on reading the race reports from August. No running for me today, a lot of yard work/ mowing to catch up will fill my day.

Paul

Dave59

I'm in the office today but I hope to stop at the gym on the way home if I'm not too burned out.

We had 91% eclipse yesterday.  I enjoyed sitting (in the shade) on the front porch and feeling the intensity of the sun diminish.  It went from "burn your skin off in 30 seconds" down to just "uncomfortable".  I also used the eclipse glasses to see the action in the sky.  It would be great to be in the 100% band but I don't envision driving anywhere for the 2-minute show in 2024.

Marathon Maniac #957

RunnerKSA - bummer of a travel day, and rude awakening to the heat.

TomWhite - that is pretty cool.

Back to school means driving DD to school again, so only time for 4.4 miles this morning in 78 degrees.

Today's storms should be bringing comfortable running temps for the next few days.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

..ok, back to Earth Bound Activities......

============

.40-min PoolRun

......Back's been kind of hinky the last few weeks,

ordered

CW-X compression top,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,has anyone tried this??

https://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/product_CW-X-Men-s-Ventilator-Web-Top_10270397_10208_10000001_-1_

two years ago

I got (and paid what I thought was WAY too much) for the compression shorts,

ironically

they're the ONLY compression shorts I own that make my hips stop hurting

hoping the top works on my back

.............I can handle Pain,

I just can't handle it in Two Locations......

..................good Running to ya

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

I watched a video yesterday of a guy racewalking at 5.3 min/mile on a treadmill, and tried to emulate that speed of leg turnover on my workout this morning. Of course, I was nowhere near close to that speed, but I was faster than my average workout over the 6.3 miles.

Dang!   I've watched videos of the Olympic racewalkers.  Just amazing.

Holly - Is there no school bus service in your area?

The Hub called this a.m. He'd spent a couple of previous nights at motels before ending up at his sister's yesterday.  Seems the night before he forgot to lock the car.  They stole his sleeping bag, blanket, both pillows, used towel, my backup headlamp I loaned him, money stuffed in down in the console, any and all change, and his phone charger.  *sigh*  That money had been in my console for well over a year without me touching it.  It's my stash in case I want to get something to eat or drink after an LR - about $30.  He owes it back to me, and mostly in $1's.  And thankfully I didn't send him with my regular headlamp.  That sucker wasn't cheap.  Thankfully, they didn't do anything to the car - just opened the very conveniently unlocked doors and took . . . .well, stuff for staying outdoors!

The new carpet cleaner came yesterday.  I took off from work early and went home and used it.  Worked like a champ.  Set up the dehumidifier in the living room and let it run all night and the carpet was basically dry this a.m., except for a couple of spots where I did some extra soaking and cleaning.  Wilson and Chico were having a blast this morning running through the empty living room. 

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

Leslie, so sorry to hear about the theft of your stuff! At least they didn't damage the car though, but geez. Some people really didn't learn anything in kindergarten, did they. When do you try a test run?

Jay, I can't imagine running that fast, let alone racewalking. Holy cow! That relive is fun, isn't it. I just wish you could slow down that ball a bit.

Paul, foot is good? You sure gave it enough of a break from impact. Let's hope it appreciates it!

5.5 miles today, started out pretty slow which was frustrating because I didn't feel like it was an "easy" pace. Last 3.5 miles though were much better. It's very annoying when pace doesn't match the effort. Slow definitely doesn't always mean easy! I'm also finding it takes me so much longer to recover from hard workouts, like Sunday's run. My legs/quads are still sore!

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly - Is there no school bus service in your area?

Yes, but the bus arrives at our stop at 6:19am, which frankly is way too early for a high schooler (a girl, anyway) - I couldn't be ready myself that early, and since we only live about 6-8 minutes from the school, I am willing to give up 15 minutes to drop her at 7am.

What a bummer about the car stuff theft.  People can be such jerks!  Glad though that the car is undamaged.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

mrrun

fatozzig - sorry about car theft and ksa lost luggage

jay - nice race walking at faster speed

walked over 6 miles through boston - all of us very hot and tired at end of day.

and for those who haven't had enough of the eclipse, the post office issued an eclipse stamp with thermochromic ink that changes color when you put your thumb on it.  the kids walked an extra few blocks to get them and were really happy they did -

have a good evening and back to running tomorrow,

marj

6:19?!?  Holy crap!

40 min of core/ST this evening.  Erika - I'm going to try running this week.  I gotta start moving this body.  I feel like a lump of blah.  Plus, work is so stressful right now, I need an outlet.

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

I hate the car theft!  You can't leave cars unlocked at all anymore.  It's unfortunate.  Those kind of thefts are happening a lot around here- even in the nice, safe neighborhoods.  It's just easy, I guess.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

catwhoorg

Labrat

Didn't get online last night, but got 5 miles ta lunchtime and a very slow and sucky 16 on the bike after work.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18