Masters Running

Sunday May 23rd Runs - Workouts - Rest - and Tapering (Read 625 times)

...wildhild//.......I don't wear my glasses

when I work out,

the SwedishBikiniTeam could have been there and I wouldn't have known....

========

..but I digress......

,,,back from KY,

I have A Plan............I get a V-8 about an hour away from home, change at the YMCA and hit the trails....

..........35min 4/1..........heat index 95..........YA GOTTA LOVE IT.........

.......................good hot weather running guys..............V-8 to Celebrate........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

lamerunner

Good afternoon. I will join the insufficiently hydrated club. I was up in Vermont for a law school reunion--25 years! yikes. Stayed in Quechee overnight and had a concept for a run this morning. It was warm and sunny even at 8 a.m. and I guess the ratio of wine to water was not quite right yesterday. I ran about 10 but felt really hot and tired at the end. Very pretty though, and green! I intended to end up on the dirt road which goes to Woodstock, part of the Covered Bridges half marathon course, and although I started ok, I missed a turn somewhere and ended up on a golf course.  Oh well. One of these weekends I will get more of a long run done.

Busy weekend. DD had the city track meet yesterday. She ran the mile and ran a PR, 5:39 and placed fifth in the city   but missed the qualifying time for Class L champs by 3 seconds. The times are stiff for Class L.  She has run well the last couple of meets though and is on the list to keep practicing; she may get put in a relay.

Soccer game for DS this afternoon and now I am getting caught up....

Happy running!

evanflein

Congrats on the long run there, Stumpy! And that's funny, I recognize "that look" on DH's face when he's working on stuff and I'm doing this... 

Nice long run Holly! You are ready for that 50k. Now let's just hope the weather is good and you're all set for a nice run in the woods.

You too, Tim. Glad you had a good run today after yesterday's looooong run. Being able to recover well and run the next day is a big indicator of your fitness.

Mariposai's day in the garden with the kids sounds like fun. I can almost guarantee it that would never happen with my boys. Good for you on taking the full week off. I wonder how I'd handle that... I'm sure it's different doing it by choice vs. having to do it.

11 miles on the hilly side today... 8:17 avg pace and I was surprised how good my legs felt. I took an S cap before I left, with water, and had DH bring me water out on the run. Would've been nice if he'd shown up at mile 5, but he got to talking to a neighbor and met me at 7.7. Oh well. It sure helped, as did temps in the mid-60's. Gives me 51 miles for the week, which is better than I'd hoped for (on 5 days of running).

TammyinGP

I agree, Erika, that Nancy's day in the garden listening to young kid music and hanging out wit da boyz sounds fun. My son wouldn't be one to help out in the garden either unless the sugar snap peas are ready to pick and eat, then he'll stand out there with me while eating peas. he likes raw beans too.And the strawberries never even make it to the house.

speaking of which, I had a nice afternoon in my garden also. a nice solitary afternoon. Soil nice and wet from yesterday's rain so I worked up the soil along my rows (lots of worms!) and threw in some more spinach and peas seeds.

thanks for all the comments on my long run yesterday. I felt great this morning, no soreness and a very restful 10 hrs of sleep.

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

I recognize "that look" on DH's face when he's working on stuff and I'm doing this... 

Oh yeah, I know that look well...one of the reasons I'll get up at 4:00 or 4:30am some weekends to get my LR in and still be around to keep DH from feeling like he's doing all the household projects alone. 

Stumpy - nice run! 

Well, after an hour of fence-mending and log-stacking, and then 2 hours of being bent nearly double painting the floor of the deck with DH, a couple Corona lites tasted mighty fine as we sat in the shade out back.  We grilled hot dogs and brats and ate outside with the kids, too.  What a beautiful day it has been!  I am loving the summer weather. 

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

I feel kind of low-energy today, but I managed 9.7 miles.  The first 4 were around the neighborhood with Tazzie and Ladybug, then I drove to a nearby trailhead and did 5.7 miles more on a very steep trail.  My Garmin says the total elevation gain/loss was 1,700 ft and my average pace was 14:41.   It was a loop, basically 3 miles straight up, then 2.7 miles down.  Really pretty day, mid 50's and sunny.  The trees don't have leaves yet here in the mountains, but it won't be long!

Lamerunner, congrats to your DD for her PR race!

Erika, awesome 11 miler after your long run yesterday!

Craneium, in my earlier post I forgot to say yahoo for your 5th grade racers!  You're awesome for doing that.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Renee the dog

Catching up:

Enke, oh, gotcha!  I missed a job change somewhere in your husband’s career.

Wildchild, yeah, I figure what’s a better mental prep than driving 18 hrs?  I hope it doesn’t come to that, but you know, if I have to….

Yea stumpy!

Slow ramp up for me this week -- so today was simply yoga -- 25 min.  This training cycle, I'm trying to make sure my "extras" of stretching, yoga, and strengthening exercises don't end up on the "cutting room floor" of my life!  So far, so good. (4 days into training!)

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Maniac 505

I have decided my plan for the next year or two,  I am going to take it REALLY easy for the newport oysterfest and seattle rock and roll,  I will start ramping things up after that

SEKRET MESSAGE FOR TETSUJIN

はい。

sounds like a good weekend overall for the masters with the exception of the muggy humid runs --- which i joined in on today ....... why do i have to RELEARN the importance of getting out early every time the weather warms up?

should have dragged my butt out of bed early to do a local 5k then add on to that but nooooooooooooo  - i slept in til 9ish, lounged with a cup of coffee so it was 10:30, muggy and mostly sunny by  the time i went out to run

needless to say my 8.5 miles was NOT pretty - probably one of the slowest runs i've done in ages - guess that's what happens on mid-day runs and after skipping 3 days of working out -- really need to get more consistent!!

have a WONDERFUL week my RA friends!!

denise

Tammy, fantastic 20 miler, you are going to rock that marathon!

Tim, the Vibrams are great.  No abrasion on the soles of your feet like barefoot yet the feel is barefoot.  I couldn't feel any problems with ligaments etc so I am hoping I can ramp up (but I'm going slowly).

Wildchild - wtg for your daughter! and she is also always doing the drama activites and not nose to the grind stone, so she must have some natural smarts.  Bet I know where she gets those!

Ok, now Tet  has taken being cryptic one step further.

I didn't go out until 3pm but luckily it was a cool day, 55F-ish.  I spent the early afternoon digesting a big dim sum lunch....those pieces look so small but they add up.

I ran past this woman on my route today that I have run past about 4 times! in the last 2 weeks.  Interestingly, she is a semi-retired actress that used to be on TV.  Anyway, it is someone I know, we used to be in the same mommy/baby group.  But she is usually so focused that she doesn't even look at me.  Today she was looking at me with her face all screwed up (obviously thinking she knows me from somewhere but can't place me).  I just gave her a big smile.  Next time I will yell out her name.  She is so much faster than me I have been kind of avoiding saying hi.

So 8 miles, 11:10 pace, getting a little faster all the time, in minutes and not seconds as Stumpy pointed out.

My last mile I decided to retrace my steps back up a 150ft hill, run a bit then turn around and fly down it again.  I must be sick in the head or getting stronger to do this on my last mile.  It was also my second fastest mile.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

SteveP

way kewl Stumpy!!!!....Your run does count as being out of the way.

Looking forward to getting a normal routine.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

So 8 miles, 11:10 pace, getting a little faster all the time, in minutes and not seconds as Stumpy pointed out.

My last mile I decided to retrace my steps back up a 150ft hill, run a bit then turn around and fly down it again.  I must be sick in the head or getting stronger to do this on my last mile.  It was also my second fastest mile.

Very nice!

Deez4boyz - don't be so hard on yourself.  How you can get out early for a run when you work those 12-hour night shifts is beyond me - you must be exhausted at that point!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."