Masters Running

Saturday Aug 4th Daily and Happy Bday MikeE! (Read 375 times)

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!  Wow--thank you all so much for all the nice birthday wishes!  I have had a pretty good birthday...although it didn't start out so nice.

I woke up at about 11:00 last night when a storm knocked the power out.  I lied there listening to the rain just pouring down then, for some reason, started worrying about the sump pump--I really need to spend the money on a battery back-up.  Anyway, I went and drug out our generator that I bought about 10 years ago but never used and spent the next hour trying to start the stupid thing.  All this time Eric was in the kitchen looking for something to eat and was anxiously waiting for me to get the generator going so he could plug in the toaster for some Eggos.  Kids!  Anyway--it never started so I crawled through our crawl space to our sump basket and started bailing the water out and carrying it outside.  Of course, at some point, it went past midnight and Eric said, "Hey--happy birthday, Dad."  I just gave him my look but...coming from Eric...it was kind of nice.  I finally got to bed around 1:00 am and, of course, the electricity came back on about 10 minutes later.

This morning, I got up and went out to find my DD who was out doing a 16 miler to see how she was doing and to give her some Gatorade.  This was the furthest she has ever run and after a miserable 14 miler two weeks ago, I was kind of concerned about her.  I found her with a couple more miles to go and drove along side of her the rest of the way. She did great.  I think her time was about 2:30.  She will be doing her first half marathon in three weeks.

Then I went home, woke up Ryan, and we went out and did a 14 miler.  I'm not sure if I've ever told you guys how much I love running with Ryan, but that really made my whole day.  I did 14.1 miles in 1:38:30.  Ryan left me at the 10th mile so he could put on a little speed in te last 4 miles and finished in 1:33 something.

After my shower, I picked up DD and we met my other DD at my favorite place for lunch.  Yep, it was a great day.

Oh--and DW got me a new cordless driil!  How cool is that!  My old one concked out about a year ago and I've been using my corded one for everything.  This is nice!  By the way--DW took me out for dinner last night because she had to work today.  Just didn't want anybody to think I was leaving the poor lady out of everything.

So, anyway--that's my day so far.

How about that men's10,000?  Pretty cool.

Jay--that is really cool that you took the time for that little girl....who knows what will come of it.

Nice race Twocat!

Umm, no, Enke...I know there are some of you on here that do that, but I don't have 54 miles in me, today...but a nice thought...

Leslie--I am so glad you decided to take some time off after your ultra.  I really did not want you to have to go through what you went through, last year. 

Dave--I"ve spent most of my life being teased about that commercial.  Most people get it wrong, though.  They'll say--"Hey, let's get Mikey to eat it, he likes everything." 

Okay--I've been away from the TV too long--gotta go watch some more olympics!  Thanks, again, everybody!  See ya!

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly - My thoughts were gall bladder or hernia issues. 

I wondered about that, too, one of the reasons I went to see the doc in the first place.  He thinks I'm getting ulcers, possibly from stress, acidic diet, and my ibuprophen use for the arthritis in my neck.  He said the first step is to try the Protonix for a few weeks, see if it makes a difference, and if it is ulcers, give them a chance to heal.  If that doesn't fix it, the next step is likely an endoscopy, but that won't be necessary if the Protonix works.  We'll see.  Today was already a lot better with one pill last night.

Jlynne - what time is dinner?

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MIKE!

Twocat - nice racing!

I took DS to take his written test today to get his driver's permit.  He passed and we waited in a realllllllllly long line and finally got his temporary permit.  He didn't even ask to drive on the way home.  He is oddly unexcited about drivng, very casual about the whole thing.  Fine with me - given the accident statistics for young male drivers, I am not in a big hurry to get him out on the road.

Spent the afternoon shopping for school supplies for the kids (first day is 8/22) and soccer cleats for DD.  Her soccer practices started last week, and DS will be trying out for the HS team on Monday and Tuesday, four sessions 8am and 6:30pm both days.  If he makes the team he will be doing something with them 5 or 6 days a week for the next three months.  Whew!

7 easy paced miles for me this morning.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Ulcers.  Ugh!  I had a bad one when I was a kid. I wasn't allowed to eat chocolate, sugar, spices, acid, caffeine.  Ironically, I was told that when things got bad, if the pills weren't working for whatever reason, I was suppose to drink half-and-half.  Now they know that dairy is one of the worst things for an ulcer.  Roll eyes

Mike - Sounds like you are having a right nice birthday!

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mariposai

Happy birthday Mike. Running with our children is a great gift, isn't it!

Ok, for the inquisitive minds, here is a close up picture of my avatar. Isn't she a cute butterfly?

And twocat will tell you the "true" story about the whistling butterfly who flew all way from Europe to my nest in Eastern Washington.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Mariposai, as cute as your avatar is, I still can't really make it out.

Kids have been terrible today, of course, when I am alone for the weekend to deal with them.

Yes that men's 10K.  So much jostling, like a mosh pit and it looked like any man's medal until the very very end.

Holly, my first impression is a gastric issue, like an ulcer (sharp, upper stomach?).  If you can, cut out the caffeine and ibuprofen (wine, chocolate and tomato sauce too).  Just a few Vitamin I and I get stomach pain.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Loved watching the men's 10K.  very exciting to watch the tactics.  Galen Rupp did a RTYP.  DW says--"Runners are gross".  But was easy to root for both.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

evanflein

Wondering what is Erika doing this weekend.

Erika ran a half marathon this morning, coming in at 1:42:05 which is my 3rd best time on this course and just under 2 minutes off my PR, so I was pretty happy with that. 1st out of 9 in my age group, and 9th overall out of 139. This is the only half marathon we have here, and it's mostly totally flat except for when we scramble up onto the dike a couple of times. It's run from the Flint Hills refinery out to the flood control project, up for 1.6 miles along the dike then back down into the flood plain. Sort of a boring course, really, but a mix of pavement, dirt trail, lots of gravel (some big rocks, some well packed) and it can be muddy but that wasn't an issue this year. I stumble around a lot on some of the coarser gravel sections, but everyone deals with the same stuff so no biggie. The winner this year is a Kenyan cross-country star from U of A Anchorage campus, and he blew away the course record with 1:08. Wow. The women's winner was a runner from CO so our best local runners had to settle for 2nd place.

Nice run for you, btw, Mariposai. And your close up picture didn't work, or I can't see it.

Happy birthday Mike! I'm sure you didn't think so at the time, but Eric's timing was hilarious. And yes, I think you've mentioned how much you like running with Ryan a time or two...

Nice race, Twocat! You have come back so well it's really great to see. Your patience with recovery is a lesson for all of us. 

I haven't seen much of the Olympics, really. I hope they replay some of the running stuff later after my boys move on to whatever else it is they're going to do. I took DH and a friend to a fly-in fishing place, and they'll be gone till late tomorrow afternoon. Got the house and the TV (mostly) to myself. Just gotta do something with these big goombas draped on my furniture. Roll eyes

Happy Birthday Mike!!

Feel better Holly!!

Nice 1/2 Erika!!y

I ran a hot, steamy Beach to Beacon in Cape Elizabeth Maine today .... not my best time for a 10k but it is a pretty impressive race.  They had people from 44 states and 17 different countries represented today!!  I ran a 57:36 for a 9:17 pace and 57/247 in my age group,  3054/6107

OH - i and saw BOB from Maine again!!  He is recovering from a torn soleus and starting to do some speed work again - he looked great as always!!

denise

SteveP

Happy Happy MikeE!!!

Sorry to hear about your distress Holly. Sad

Sweet Two Cat..

Leslie, you probably gave three interviews. The one you rehearsed in your head, the one you actually gave and, later, the one you wish you would have given.

Crud...Posi is now setting the bar really high for lazy...I am so doomed.

Very cool Erika

DW and Tag came home today!!! The mutt went nuts tearing all over the yard. He grabbed a garden rake  and tried playing stick. I told him to drop it. We heard a good solid "Crunch"..then he did. DD#3 had her first bridal shower today. During that time Tag and I tore up some trails. Mostly Tag, I ambled behind.

SteveP

Congrats Erika!!!

Mike, Happy Birthday!

I have mixed feelings about watching the Olympics.  On the one hand, I would rather be running than watching it on TV, but on the other hand, watching the track and field sprinters inspires me.  I want to run 100m in 15 seconds.  That's 4-5 seconds slower than them but would give me the confidence to train for the USATF Masters Indoor Championships in the spring.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

Congratulations, Erika!  Hey, when's the dance competition?  If it already happened, how'd things go?

Steve - You're right.  There were definitely three interviews. Smile

Tonight when I got home from church, I cleaned a bunch of stuff out of my closet to take to a local used clothing store to sell on consignment.  In looking through a box, I found a bunch of pairs of size 6 jeans.  Size 6?  Pretty much brand new.  I was definitely living in some kind of dream world if I thought I'd ever get into those again.  Was a size 6 a few years ago when  Shorty and I were going through a bad time and I lost a bunch of weight due to stress.  Now, I'd have to starve myself to death to get back to that size.

Anybody else watch "Covert Affairs"?  How does someone who's suppose to be able to run on a dime wear those stupid high, spiky heel shoes?  Come to think of it, how does someone in regular life wear those things?  High heels were made by the devil.  Every time I try to wear a pair, I end up beating myself over the head with them.  Now, I can't wear them at all with my foot.  I've happily discovered the comfort of Dansko.  Much more my speed . . . although they don't look quite as sexy with that little black dress. Wink

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Happy birthday MikeE, it sounds like the day went better and better after the storm.  We were in the Twin Cities for a birthday party this weekend too.  Our granddaughter turned 2 and wasn't even terrible!  She had a blast playing with all her new stuff.  We had a planting session at my daughters house this morning.We took her hostas, daisies coral bells, hydraengea, and gaurdiallan, and other things I cant spell like columbine, Vinca minor  DH twisted somethingin his back  and was hurting pretty bad so we came home a day early.Icould tell that he was really hurt since he let me drive the truch and trailer home, which I found out is not rocket science.  If you drive straight, the little trailler will just follow right along  I am glad that we did because I had no idea if I would be able to get my 7 mile long run in,,, don't laugh!

I am so excited that I was able to do this! This is my bestest, longest run ever!  DH didn't even ask why I was gone so long Roll eyes. Two weeks ago I couldn't make it through a 6 mile run at all.  This weeks runs were 4 minutes Run/1 minute Walk.......ALL.THE.WAY.AROUND.THE.LAKE

Once I got the garmin running instead of biking, I had to total the sessions fot a total of== 7.44 miles at a pace that I am happy with.  I even got the speed control sign to say "6"! 

I wasn't exactly sure what route to take but knew that I didn't want to run the lake(4.72 miles) and then try to do more.  A mix of county blacktop roads, the bike path through the campground and back home via the county road and a sweet newly paved asphalt, perfectly flat road by the college.  It was so black it was actually making m e kind of dizzy and wobbly like I was landing in a hole.  I didn't eat before since we had just unpacked the car, I did take a 1/2 bottle of water with me and took a sip or two every mile.  I had chocholate zuchhinni cake and milk when I got home.  I think I need to re-read those running books I bought a few years ago.  Especially the parts on nutrition.

I have 8 weeks to get in shape for this half marathon and know I can do it.  I think I need a coach to halp me tweek the plan.  Hopefully someone at the Y,M,C,A, will take me seriously

We stopped  at the worlds largest candy store today.  I didn't buy a thing, but I may work on a list for next time.  The pop they had there was incredible.

I am really happy that it rained also, we certainly needed it after such a dry spell.  Likewise I am really happy about this run I was able to accomplish, I certainly needing it after such a dry spell.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

I am so excited that I was able to do this! This is my bestest, longest run ever! 

Yea!  Big grin

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

If you can, cut out the caffeine and ibuprofen (wine, chocolate and tomato sauce too).

Just shoot me now......

Leslie - I have a Sansa clip, not an ipod, so I don't have itunes, and I don't know how to download podcasts...Sad

Erika - Sweet HM!

StarrRuns - YAY - great job!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

SteveP

I am so excited that I was able to do this!

I can do it.  

SteveP