Masters Running

Tuesday's Daily, 9.12.17 (Read 37 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Happy AG-day KSA.

Ganbare ziggie.

2C – not only what Erika says but Alaska doesn’t have snakes!

Besides, I’d rather die cold and miserable happy to go than warm and happy not ready at all. Of course, I’m the kind of guy who loves, . . . I mean, doesn’t mind, running in the rain.

100 miles - congratulations Deezie. However, nobody’ll ever ask about your time for any of the IM events; just doing ‘em is enough.  Same with 100-milers that I’ve proved that anyone who can run 26.2 miles without stopping can accomplish too, especially with extremely generous cutoffs of 32-36 hours allowing even the slower runners to finish at 15-21m/m with a midnight nap or two thrown in.  Though it’s okay not to try one, just don’t not because you don’t think you can.  If anyone couldn’t it was me but, with ultra-maniac Paul Piplani’s same guidance, I could and, to my surprise, did. You can too.

Mt. Rainier - with the continuation of a record summer  that's melted off all 58’ of snowfall on Mt. Rainier, and more, from the rainiest winter on record down in Seattle, there wasn’t much that could stop our annual three-hour drive down there and up from sea level to Paradise at 5,420’ feet.

/

Unfortunately, the days of an easy 4-hour jaunt from the parking lot up through the initial alpine meadows (with abundant chip monks and occasional deer) and higher elevation boulder fields (with whistling hoary marmots) to the snowfields leading up to Camp Muir at 10,000’ are long gone so we stuck to the supposedly “easy” 3.5 mile Skyline Loop up to only 7,200’ that would have been beneath my dignity in those days. Fortunately, all the Camp Muir memories (from getting desperately lost in a sudden, unseasonable snow squall in 1962 to a last ascent over the chilly snow in thongs in 2012) will never be gone.  .

Ps – I’m always applauding for TW too.

Image result for Mt. Rainier from paradise

500 × 335 - flickriver.com

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Thanks for all the birthday wishes, y'all.  Another year begins....

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Mike E

MM #5615

Just stopping in to say happy birthday to KSA. Happy birthday, KSA!

RunnerKSA happy birthday!

stumpy77 why I should not do division in my head.

Regarding Alaska versus Florida . . . anybody want to guess which state more people retire to?

I ran 14 today. Slow, slow, slow. Sigh. My DW is mad at me because I keep losing weight. She wants me to stop running until I can increase my calorie intake. She thinks, with a lot of justification, that until I can stabilize my weight I am not going to create the tissue needed to run any faster.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

evanflein

Regarding Alaska versus Florida . . . anybody want to guess which state more people retire to?

And thank goodness for THAT!   And I tend to agree with your DW on the running so much thing. Running that kind of mileage does take a toll on your body, and yours is already under stress from what you've been through. Give it a break!

I hope you're on the right track, Fatozzig. You've been dealing with this for far too long.

5.2 miles this afternoon. Cloudy and cool (not bad at all for running, high 50's) and no rain. It'd be awesome to have this weather the rest of the week!

spacityrunner

Twocat...how bout you just do short runs and eat more ice cream???  I'll join you 

In clear violation of the twocat rule, no running in the rain, I did a nice little 3.3 slow miles early evening, in Garvan Gardens.  This is a botanical garden owned by the UofA that is open to the public, however, we ran after closing (yeah us!!).  It is a special deal for Sept. and Oct. on Tuesday nights.  Anyway, back to the rule violation, it was raining.  But because I am on vacay, and I generally can't run this time of the day, I ran anyway.  It wan't raining hard, a nice light spit/drizzle/spizzle with a cool breeze and low (68f) temps.  It was heaven I tell ya, heaven!!!  I was the slowest of them all.  Yeah for me!  Go rule breakers, go!!  

I'm retiring in Arkansas, you all can go to Florida or Alaska...no matter to me :-)

Happy Age group to KSA.

Trails Rock!

Twocat...how bout you just do short runs and eat more ice cream???  I'll join you 

Sounds good!

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Happy Birthday KSA!

Hiyah PBJ!

Twocat - I'm with Erika on that - take it easy, will ya?

Tet - sounds like a beautiful hike!

4.7 miles for me on Tuesday, followed by about 15 minutes of weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."