Masters Running

Wednesday, 12.7.16 (Read 26 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thanks for the link, Milktruck. Great story. I can deal with the cold, but not so much with snow on the roads (makes racewalking particularly tough). So I'll have to see what next year brings.

Leslie, I love it when you get feisty! Good for you for standing up for yourself and the overworked folks in the office.

Good TM 10K, Evanflein. TMs always require different body mechanics and mentality, don't they. Have fun with Hally/Barb in NY!

Good 3-miler, Mike. Good luck with the drama.

Twocat, I don't know that I want to know the recovery time frame for hamstringitis for those over 40. But I'll give it some more rest time. I'm glad you are making good use of the Elliptical time. Be careful of those voodoo dolls...

Tet, any time you can spend moving forward out on the roads is cause for celebration.

I heard a story this morning about the Japanese Admiral who orchestrated and led the attack on Pearl Harbor. He though it was the wrong thing to do, and that the US would ultimately prevail. Too bad his leaders didn't listen to him. It was a sad, horrible day.

At yesterday's 3-hour meeting, we were entertained at the mid-point break by a local character/celebrity who does open water, mid-winter fundraiser swims, and who is an accordion-playing band leader for his 'day/night job.' Interesting combo, eh?

No workout today to rest my hammy (following Dr. TwoCat's instructions), but also because there was fresh sleet and skim ice on the roads this morning that would have made working out miserable. I'm going for a massage late today, and it'll be interesting to see what that does for that hamstring.

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - icy conditions are decidedly NOT good for hamstring injuries.  Have you thought about swimming or pool running?

Leslie - well done!

5 miles for me on the TM this morning watching El Dorado.  I forgot that I liken old John Wayne movies.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Nothing to add to the above except that I always have a different stride on the TM just due to the nagging fear that I might step off the back or something, especially on our home TM that is a bit shorter than what you typically find at a gym.

My two-day layoff was the right thing to do as today's run felt good and was quite enjoyable. It was my first sub-freezing run this season, so I had to get into practice watching for hidden icy spots on the roads and walkways. I ran my typical winter route that takes me downtown and goes right by the library, which is always good for a quick warm-up and/or potty break.

I finished with 5 miles and all in all a good start to the true "winter" running season. I hope you all have good runs today as well!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Mike E

MM #5615

Jay--can you racewalk on a treadmill?

Yay Leslie, Way to tell them!!

Twocat, I get it. Rant away.

Brrr, it's cold out for the PNW.  Below freezing.  I only ran 3 miles outside this afternoon, there was a not-so-nice easterly wind in my face.  But I do like the sunshine that comes with the cold, so I'll take it.  Mr. Blue Eyes is cycling over here after work, just hope he doesn't wipe out on any icy patches.  His DD28 is going to be stationed in Norfolk VA for her first two years as a JAG, so there might be a trip that way in my future.  I think she wanted San Diego, Japan or Italy?  My son has a band concert tonight.  I can't believe how soon until kids are out of school for the winter break, and I have not done my Christmas shopping!

Wondering about the answer to racewalking on a TM...

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

enkephalin I suppose it helps to be or have been in academia to understand things like a discussant and the frustration a lousy one can bring. As to it being cold in the PNW . . . ha ha ha come east young lady, come east!

Speaking, or writing of cold, my DW asked how long our recent cold streak would last. I said about 4 months, maybe 5. Winter and all that you know. 

I tried out a new recipe this evening, an eggplant and barley salad. Very good and not too big of a hassle to make. It takes time, but most of that is just cooking time, not babysitting time. Here is the recipe for those that may want to try it. http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/mediterranean-eggplant-and-barley-salad-235753 If you do not have perl barley I think that nearly any grain (even brown rice) would work just as well. You do need the spices that go into the barley, just remember that when you make whatever grain you are thinking of substituting.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/