Masters Running

Panera Jack Rector Beacon on the Bay 25K (Read 297 times)

Local runner and race director Jack Rector recently passed away. The annual Beacon on the Bay race has changed the name to Jack Rector Beacon on the Bay.....or maybe just Jack Rector Beacon....I"m not real sure. Anyway, I ran this race last year for the first time. This year the location of the race had changed back to the original location, being the running trail around Oklahoma City's Lake Hefner. Stats: 25K 2:25:05 A 3 minute 48 second PR over last year 15/21 AG 76/120 Male 94/202 Ovrall Temperature at race time was about 20 something with a 35 mph breeze gusting to "nearly blow you over" mph. The wind was the weather factor of the day. It was very strong and just before the race it blew over one of the poles that hold up the start/finish line. Shocked I was prepared to keep track of splits, but when the 1st 5k marker came up and my watch said 30 minutes + I decided why bother. I was ready for it to be over at that point. But my positive mind set took over and in my ever increasing desire to "change the way I see things and the things I see will change" I began to focus my thoughts on how the wind was making this race a living heck! The race is an out/back and the course is kinda shaped like a big U...well maybe a big upside down U. I was trying to keep up with a running friend of mine who had beaten me severly last year. I kept her about 50 yards ahead of me and began to reel her in about the 7-8K mark. I caught up to her at 10K where the course changes direction enough to make the headwind a crosswind and things were a little better. We looked at each other and she mentioned something about this being crazy, to which I replied, " uughh mmhp scwhfp." She then began to pick it up on the crosswind and subsequent tailwind. I let her go as the wind had taken some...er....wind out of my sail. The tailwind came and I picked the pace up a bit, but my friend continued to pull about 100 yards ahead of me. Now I'm looking for the turn around point with bitter sweet thoughts. It'll be half over and I'll be back running into the wind. Heading back into the wind I spot a woman in front of me. Every once in awhile she'll turn around and run backwards. She has on no face protection and it's obvious she's trying to keep her cheeks protected by running backwards. I catch up to her....think about giving her my face mask....then think about how it's been on my stinking head for over an hour and has beads of frozen snot on it, plus I really don't want to give it up. We run together for a while till we get to the 15K mark and are close to getting the homestretch tailwind. I ask her how she's doing and she says she's doing good, just cold and wind blown. I tell her we got 6 miles to go and point up ahead at the runners in front of us. "I'm going to go see how many of those guys I can catch. Are you with me? I SAID ARE YOU WITH ME.....LETS GO!!!!!!" Ok, maybe not quit like that, but I did encourage her to come if she could. We both picked the pace up considerably and began passing up some runners. At some point I pulled away from her and continued on. I caught up to my running friend, visited for a bit and then charged on. I'm feeling good, not particularly strong, but I am making up ground and passing others. I reach the 20K mark and check my watch, the last 5K was 26 minutes and change. I felt really good about that and continued on. With about a mile or so to go I begin running out of gas. There is a short "against the wind" section just before the finish. When I hit that it was like I was standing still. My DW was right there cheering me on.....I managed a wave and a smile. Then the finish.....ah, sweet relief! The race director was right there patting all the finishers on the back and genuinely congratulating everyone. I don't need alot of congratulating, but that sure felt good! All in all it was a great tune up for my marathon race in April. Tough conditions make tough runners and this one gave me a shot of confidence and a mental toughness edge. Now, no matter what the conditions, I can say, "Yeh, but we ran the Jack Rector Beacon back in '09....remember that one!?!"
    Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
    coastwalker

" uughh mmhp scwhfp."
      Well said!! Big grin You showed great mental toughness in this race, and stuck to your positive mindset despite the challenging conditions. I'm impressed that you didn't let a slow first 5K demoralize you, that you took the time and made the effort to motivate another runner to run a better race, and that you reeled in and passed your running friend who had beaten you last year. Congrats on a substantial PR, and a great morale-booster of a race! You sure will be ready for your upcoming marathon! Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Way to tough it out Evryday and snare a great PR too! Somehow I feel better when I can see my obstacles (even when I trip) and since you can't see wind, it's far worse I think. You are running strong and Jay is right----you are ready! Who's tripping running down the streets of the city Smilin' at everybody he sees Who's reachin' out to capture a moment Everyone knows it's Windy And Windy has stormy eyes That flash at the sound of lies And Windy has feet that fly Passing the crowds (passing the crowds) Passing the crowds (passing the crowds)

Marathon Maniac #957

35 mph winds are tough at any temperature, and at 20° that’s just brutal. You are tougher than I am, for sure. Congratulations on your PR in brutal conditions - Great racing!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

pfriese

Excellent racing evryday. Sorry I did not make this race again this year. One thing about Lake Hefner, what it lacks in hills it more than makes up for with wind. Are you planning on running Redbud Classic this year? I think that will be my next race. If not, maybe we can meet up at OKC-MM. Paul
              Brrr!! I would have either not run at all or tucked in behind some big fella. You are tough, and got to knock down all those women too! I hope your marathon is on a calm day. Congrats on the PR too!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Ev - You had me chuckling quite a few times! Big grin Congrats on the race. I musta missed something somewhere along the line 'cause I didn't realize you were running a marathon in April (hence, my comment re "future marathoners" the other day. Blush ). When's the marathon? Hope you have better weather for it!

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

wow evryday!! you are one tough dude!! nice job!!

denise

evryday, that combination of temp and wind sounds wicked. You sure did well, though. Congrats on the improvement over last year. TomS
                      Great RR evryday, Its amazing what we will go through to fulfill our running goals. I agree with everyone else you should have a good marathon. These kind of runs will help in that last 10k if for nothing else mental toughness. Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Nice Job Evryday!!! I knew you were building up for something...that's a hugh PR too... Congrats on a good race in tough conditions...
                        Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                        wildchild

Carolyn

Congrats on the PR and on toughing it out against the wind!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Who's tripping running down the streets of the city Smilin' at everybody he sees Who's reachin' out to capture a moment Everyone knows it's Windy And Windy has stormy eyes That flash at the sound of lies And Windy has feet that fly Passing the crowds (passing the crowds) Passing the crowds (passing the crowds)
                            Smile Smile CNY Big grin Above the clouds (above the clouds) Smile Thanks for the kind words, evryone. Paul, unfortunately I won't be doing the Redbud. I've never done that race, but it's on the to-do list. We'll have to meet up at OCMM...give me a holler. Are you injured? I read that you won't be getting any runs in for a bit. Hope things are ok. Fatozzig....my marathon is Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon April 26. It will be my second marathon to run. Enke.....how tough can I be if I'm knocking down all the women? Big grin I guess it's better to knock them down than to.....oh never mind. Big grin Thanks again,
                            Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                            Tramps

Yowsah, that's a tough one. Great job getting it done with a nice PR! That's a nice distance for a race; I wish we had one around here.

Be safe. Be kind.