Masters Running

Monday, March 31 Runs (Read 714 times)

Well....in keeping with my tendency to be a "fair weather runner"....no run for me today on a cool rainy day. Thankfully I did have a good run on Saturday. Ribs.....I had forgotten about Rick Monday's "play". How about Fukudome for the Cubs with his opening day at Wriggley. Poor Eric Gagne certainly has gone down a long way from his good days. Meanwhile the Nationals are off to a great start. It is good to have baseball starting again. Tammy......that is QUITE the beginning to your driving (and quite an ending to the Suburban). BTB......sorry to hear of your injury. Know that we are ALL pulling for you. Of course it is better to be safe than do more than you should. It was good to see Tramps tramp through. Is anyone doing a station for the runners at this years Boston Marathon? I have not been keeping up on the Boston thread. I would be tempted to get up there for the festivities to help at the station and then keep on going up to visit my brother in Maine. Do I have time to pull that off at this late date? Have a great week everyone
    Vista
    evanflein

Vista, Hally is putting something together because the Pro is running (I think he still is...). I thought there was something about it on this forum... definitely on KR. Would be wonderful to see you again! Tammy, that is a great story. DH is working on finding the replacement turn signal assembly and finding some better-than-I-expected prices. The kid could come out of this for around $100... Holly, sounds like our house after roasted garlic night... Dead
        bob - hope your injury heals sooner than you expect and you can still run Boston - if you can't run will you head up anyway to be here for the festivities? holly - too funny!! tell DH taco bell is off limits!! car woes - oh we've had our share --- teenage boys!! last summer DS#3 fell asleep at the wheel driving to work in the morning...........fortunately the Ford Explorer is one tough vehicle - while it was totalled, my son crawled out of it with a few cuts and scratches!! when i saw the car i nearly fell to my knees and thanked the Lord for saving my son.........it was scary looking!! total rest day for me -- aside from some normal tiredness in my legs i feel great and best of all i went to visit my gf and her 11 week old daughter and held her for nearly the whole 3 hours i visited (except when she needed her mommy for a feeding!!) so sweet - nothing like a cuddly baby!!

denise

Hi Tramps! Hi Fjordrunner! BTB----OH NO! I am so hoping that maybe the foot was just flaring up and will behave. Hang in there and I hope you'll still be there in some way. Recovery run of 3.5 miles earlier today at 8:30 AM. No watch and just a shake-out the legs kind of run. It was 32F, cloudy with sleet and snow mixed in when I went out. No accumulation so I am happy with that. My legs felt fine after yesterday's race. I had to jump into the car and get to Latham, NY where my firm is located (only need to go into the home office once per month). One of my colleagues was an executive type at Evergreen State College in Olympia, WA at the time of the first women's Olympic Marathon Trials in 1984. She was the CFO and was very involved with how the college helped host the Trials---fun hearing her stories today. The car travel meant for stiff hips, but I was back home in time for dinner and no travel tomorrow. Glad you went to a runner friendly PT Rochrunner. Until tomorrow. G'nite all CNYrunner
          spacityrunner

But first I want to remind many of you that for many MLB fans, today is opening day in the Majors, and for many of us, it's more important than the NCAA's. I have been pumped about it all weekend. So for those of you who are not only baseball fans, but also patriotic, here is a video you will like, that features the greatest play in Major League baseball history. Enjoy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAbmXlZbrSM Spareribs
            Mr. Ribs: I think the Washington Nationals is a MLB team and they had their home opener last night (Sunday). How do I know...the prez was there so I had Marine One buzzing my condo all during the freaking game (ok, so they must of landed for a while, but it felt like they were flying by ALL THE TIME), plus I can see the lights and the big ass hd screen flickering (no I can't see whats on it) and when the last HR was hit, I could hear the crowd (but that was the only time I could hear them). Big time here in DC with the opening of the new 600+++ million $$$ stadium. They opened to a sell out crowd of I think it was 41,000 fans. The pope will say mass there on April 17th (I think it's the 17th). I can't wait till they have music..... BTB: I am so sad that another injury has presented itself for you to deal with. Holly: good luck on the home selling decisions. Having wrangled over the pennies a few times myself, just remember in the long run, it is just money. (spoken by someone that can make lincoln cry Big grin) I went to the gym today. I did 35 min on the bike, and 35 on the elliptical. HOW BORING...but, I did it. 20 min into my elliptical wkout I ran out of steam...My foot feels ok. Good runs and good night all

Trails Rock!

SteveP

Holly: Safety first!!!! It's imposibleto develop a tolerance to brain damage. I was expecting a basement thingy. Spareribs hit the nail on the head. We're pulling for you BTB..You've got people on your side. I remember how Mom took a ding to the vehicle when I was a teen Erika. I tell ya, I didn't know who that woman was or how she got into Mom's body. We had a long talk, but the result was that it was just a car and I was alright. Later we also had a talk about an insurance rate change. Sad ...The butt kicking I gave myself was bad. After 10 days off, I felt like running. It was raining fairly hard. I don't want a repeat of what I had. I got a phone call. One of the drivers I've unloaded for 10 years told me about a job prospect. I grabbed a resume and went down there. When I turned it in, the company owner said "That was quick!". The person turned in their notice today! I had an interview today. He knows one of my former managers, the family of the last company I worked for (before they sold the company) and my mentor. He asked if I could handle a second interview today. I told him yes. The other interviewer, though, set me up for Wednesday at 8:00 AM. It's a company whose field I'm very familiar with, the hours are reasonable, and bibically based. The owner said that my family is more important than my job. SurprisedDW and I have prayed that I'd find something to glorify God's name. I has assumed I'd be the person carring the message. This might be it.

SteveP

dg.

Holly: Safety first!!!! It's imposibleto develop a tolerance to brain damage. I was expecting a basement thingy. Spareribs hit the nail on the head. We're pulling for you BTB..You've got people on your side. I remember how Mom took a ding to the vehicle when I was a teen Erika. I tell ya, I didn't know who that woman was or how she got into Mom's body. We had a long talk, but the result was that it was just a car and I was alright. Later we also had a talk about an insurance rate change. Sad ...The butt kicking I gave myself was bad. After 10 days off, I felt like running. It was raining fairly hard. I don't want a repeat of what I had. I got a phone call. One of the drivers I've unloaded for 10 years told me about a job prospect. I grabbed a resume and went down there. When I turned it in, the company owner said "That was quick!". The person turned in their notice today! I had an interview today. He knows one of my former managers, the family of the last company I worked for (before they sold the company) and my mentor. He asked if I could handle a second interview today. I told him yes. The other interviewer, though, set me up for Wednesday at 8:00 AM. It's a company whose field I'm very familiar with, the hours are reasonable, and bibically based. The owner said that my family is more important than my job. SurprisedDW and I have prayed that I'd find something to glorify God's name. I has assumed I'd be the person carring the message. This might be it.
                Big grin Big grin Big grin

King of PhotoShop

Mr. Ribs: I think the Washington Nationals is a MLB team and they had their home opener last night (Sunday).
                  Oh yes Liz, and didn't they win that game in dramatic fashion? Just the way baseball ought to be! Thanks for posting this. I read every word of the recap. If you are a fan, you know there is a tie between Washington, D.C. and the Texas Rangers. And Vista, thanks for chipping in here. The Saint and I have been married for some time, but every now and then our relationship hits a rocky spot. I will post it here, toward the end of the day so not many will see it. Still trying to work things out. You may recall I posted yesterday that we all went to PF Chang's for dinner and the Saint ordered this huge chocolate layer cake thing with a raspberry sauce for us to take home for dessert. She REALLY likes chocolate. Well, last night after dinner she says, "Would you like cake for dessert?" Thinking this is the last of that cake from the restaurant I say yes. Well it was terrible. I said to her, "What really annoys me is that they would charge eight bucks for a dessert like this, a dried up tasteless piece of cake!" Well, I didn't know she had woofed down the PF Chang cake on Saturday night and the cake she served me was one she had made. Sneaking off to another room with a TV to watch the Ranger game. Spareribs

Head Procrastinator

Vista, Hally is putting something together because the Pro is running (I think he still is...). I thought there was something about it on this forum... definitely on KR. Would be wonderful to see you again! Tammy, that is a great story. DH is working on finding the replacement turn signal assembly and finding some better-than-I-expected prices. The kid could come out of this for around $100... Holly, sounds like our house after roasted garlic night... Dead
                    Pro is not running and we will have an aid station. Will post more about it. He's been really busy with work and some family stuff but the time is getting near. So far looks like Pro, LaT, Me, Caddisfli, Tnally are definites. We welcome all help. Mile 20. Easy T-stop or plenty of parking nearby as well. Bob {{{{{{{{{{{healing vibes}}}}}}}}}}} Holly, I agree, fix the furnace and tell them take it or leave it. PS, I heard from the Saint about the cake episode. You will never live this down. Smile
                    ~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats
                    btb1490

Good evening masters! Mariposai- I like the margarita idea! I'll have to toast your 60 mile week tonight! Smile Holly- my hurts are small in comparison to what you are going through with your house! evanflein- Yay on the renters! They sound like a nice couple, and young couples very often need all the help they can get. Boo on the weather! Thank you for the well wishes Erika. WRFB- I'll be there no matter what! WOuldn't miss meeting you guys for anything. Tammy- amazing story about your fender bender! It worked out well, good thing you had an understanding person that you hit. So what did you get at Mr. Donut? My plans aren't foiled for Boston, just changed, that's all. It'll be a great weekend regardless. Ribs- talk about someone who brings a lot to this site... you are the man. I don't think there is a person here that would disagree with that. Thanks for all you do! rochrunner- good deal getting the high efficiency furnace. I got one too when I built my house, but since I use a passive solar design for heating, it rarely gets used. dromedary- thank you so much! You are so right about the mind and body not keeping up with each other. You haven't mentioned how your running is doing lately. I hope all is well! fjordrunner- Hi! I haven't had the pleasure of your acquaintance, but a lot of people here seem very fond of you and are glad to have you back! How lucky you are to know Mariposai personally, and vice versa! Dave- how about more pictures of the new cutie sometime? Happy birthday to your wife tomorrow! PJH- mentors like you are so important. Thank you for what you do, and keep up the great work with the kids! vista- it would be GREAT to see you in Boston! What will you do if it rains that day though? :-P deez4boyz- you bet I'll be there! We have a date on Sunday, don't we? At some point, email me so we can make plans. And if anyone else wants to partake, the more the merrier! I see your DS3 takes his driving skills from you! I'm glad your son was ok. How is your son with the broken hand doing? Can't get enough of those babies, can you? Smile CNY- you need some yoga added to your list of things you already do! Sounded like a nice run you had. runningindc- keep doing what you're doing with that foot! I like to hear those words "my foot feels ok"! Steve- all my fingers and toes are crossed for you!!!!!!! Good luck! The job sounds "heavenly"! RIbs- if that's what you call a rocky spot... Sorry you got stuck with the sucky cake. Give your wife my "gooey butter cake" recipe I posted a couple of days ago, you'll be glad you did. biketm- a special shout out to you. I hope you are reading, and I hope you are well! Needle update. I tell the acupuncturist my latest ailment, and he scratches his head, pokes around, and debates what to do, and proclaims he's never had to treat anything like this because it's in a wierd spot (my podiatrist said the same thing, as did my physical therapist. YOu know it's bad when they call in other people to "come look at this!") Anyway, he finally decided that there was no direct way or "channel" as they call it to treat my injury, so he said we'll use a technique called "surrounding the dragon". I thought that sounded pretty cool and to fire away. Basically what that is is to treat all the areas around the affected area, thereby surrounding it. I was amazed at how many needles this guy stuck into me, and all the places he put them. Some of them really hurt, and when he drove them in would send shockwaves through the area. The really good news is once you settle down, it is quite relaxing, and being one of the last patients of the day meant I could lay there as long as I wanted, so I dozed off and finally someone came in after an hour to kick me out. I also got a laser treatment to the area as well. Finally, he gave me a pointer as to how to ultrasound the area. He said to put my foot in a bucket of water, and use the water as the conductive medium for the ultrasound head. With the ankle being as bony as it is, having the head in direct contact with your skin only means a small area of it is touching your skin, really minimizing the amount of soundwaves that conduct. In water, the water surrounds your ankle and the entire thing is bathed in soundwaves, really increasing the transmission. I find this stuff pretty cool. I want to add one last thing. I only told a few people about my injury, yet others are finding out about my predicament, and the amount of phonecalls and emails I've been getting for support and well wishes has been overwhelming. I'm not used to this sort of thing, and really am finding it to be a very humbling experience. Lots of thankful appreciative tears have been shed, and that includes the support I'm getting from all of you. A very heartfelt thanks to everyone. And yes, I'll be in Boston regardless. No way will I miss out on seeing you guys. Smile
                        Four miles in a light drizzle after I got home from school, late as usual. Good news, though, is that I drove home in a fairly heavy rain and it started again right after I came in from running, but it was just misting while I was out there. PJH - loved the "liquid sunshine" line; my best kayaking/sailing buddy calls it "Irish sunshine, good for the skin" Smile Tramps - I was thinking of you the other day when I realize it was almost the end of the month, remembering all the work you did to tally the boomer miles. Nice to "see" you again. Bob - healing vibes a'comin' your way big time Ribs - it's clear why her name is the Saint; after you crawl out of the TV room, you better do something really nice for her. Will get home from class too late to post tomorrow - have to stop staying up so late - so happy fools' day, all. Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Marathon Maniac #3309

Wow, lots of great runs by all....no matter if long or short...it's all good. I have read all of the weekends threads and todays, and it's hard to respond....except if your Bob, lol. Tonight for me, 10 mile tempo run in 1:22 which I felt like myself again. I missed my doctor appt today because I was waaaay to busy at work to go. But I think I was sick, but not enough to realize it, but enough to make for poor runs. I also thought I need to quit the crazy fast runs, and stick to the pace for the races at hand. Tonight I just kept my HR at 150 bpm and didn't care about speed or pace....I normally get carried away with how fast I run. Tonight I felt good and I ran tall....and beautiful...and how ever that goes, lol. And wow, did I ever sweat up a storm....it was 60 degress and humid, which felt soooooo good compared to our dreaded winter!!! Have a great night all, and look forward to reading more about good runs and races. I would like to add, that I have been running with my new Garmin Forerunner, and it's right on target with my miles and pace....which is nice!!! Thanks to the one's who helped me pick the right "gadgit" Tim PS: Erika, I had a wonderful ice bath tonight...those things really do help!

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

GreenMan

Hey Susan. Hey Tramps, I did that marathon we did last year, almost the same weather. A little colder, wetter, and windier. And slower Smile. But I had a goot time. {{{BTB}}} Thats a tough break on Boston. Glad to know you'll still go for the fun. Rest day, maybe tomorrow too. jjj
                            Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.