Masters Running

Monday Daily Runs for August 23 (Read 509 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

My question for you today is:.......What race are you currently in a consecutive year streak

with and how many years have you made it in a row? 

Thanks Vista for the topic of interest.

Since membership in Marathon Maniacs is based on various marathon streaks, streaks are a common topic of conversation to pass the miles away and several members have been running the same area marathons for 20 - 25 or more consecutive years (Seattle/Portland/Victoria).  

However, as put by the Boston Globe, the "record for the planet" is every Boston Marathon since 1967 (44yrs) by none other than former Cool Running goddess lioness' boyfriend. He's only 63 or 64 years old on his way to more than the 50 finishes in the nearby shorter Manchester Road Race done by an early barefoot runner Doc Robbins (and being closed in by Runner's World Editor Amby Barefoot, . . . I mean Burfoot). 

At least two runners have run the 56 mile Comrades "Marathon" 40 times. 

<font>http://www.comrades.com/predefined.aspx?Page=104</font>

Then there's triathletes who have finished more than 25 Ironman Hawaii's in a row

but maybe Ironman Canada or Australia have more.

For short races of substance, the planet record seems to be Jack Kirk's 67 finishes of the 12K Dipsea

in Marin County, California from the 1930's through 2002.

<font>http://www.boston.com/sports/marathon/articles/2009/04/19/time_after_time/</font>

My local nemesis since 1990 in marathons, triathlons, halfies, and 5 & 10K's has done 15 of the Beaver Lake Triathlon we did yesterday to my 14 in a row but, now that my knee's getting old and she's still running/swimming/cycling as fast as twenty years ago, I've moved ahead with more aggregate time needed to do 'em than she'll ever accumulate. Smile 

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

ditto what Holly had to catchup on

Hi friends -- trying to make the most of my "fake night off"  - that 's what we call it when we only have 1 night off between working 12 hour night shifts because even tho i dont go in tonight, i did work last night so had about 4 hours sleep this morning!!

Was only planning on doing 3 maybe 4 easy miles in the drizzle but once I started it just felt so good out there I decided to do some pickups - was only going to do 4 and still finish with 4 maybe 5 miles but when i finished with 5, stopped at my house for water stop I just felt like staying out so went out for 1 more easy mile to look like this:

6 miles total
      1 mile warm up 9:26
      6 .25 mile pickups 8:10-8:55 pace
      6 .25 mile recovery 10:22 - 11:19 pace
      2 miles 9:18, 9:55

Now time to shower and get ready for my ACTS retreat meeting .... giving the boys a pizza night and not hearing any complaints Smile

denise

evanflein

Hey Denise, nice drizzly run for you today! Enjoy your time off (?)...
        How's your son doing? I was thinking about you and your family this past weekend.

31 minutes (3.4 miles) on the elliptical at lunchtime, then a quarter mile walk (two laps around the track) and some abs/core/back stuff. It seems like a long time since I was on the elliptical... didn't I used to do 4 miles in 32 minutes on that thing just earlier this summer??
        lamerunner

Greetings! Looks like some great runs. Erika, you are amazing in those mountain races!

Easy day for me today, but fun. Our babysitter had to do some pre-college stuff this morning so I stayed with DS  while DD went to   XC  practice etc.  DS will be running middle school XC  ( he is just starting 6th grade)   and I guess his coach is getting married or something so their pre-season was just last week. DS and I went for a little run this morning, about 3.5 miles.  He wanted to divert the route at the end to add a hill.  He is so sweet ( I have a 17 year old too so maybe it is relative), loves his coach, thinks his XC and playing tenor sax will make him appear cool.... he is starting at middle school too.

After DD got back we took Ds school clothes shopping. DD was helpful but expensive!

Yesterday I ran about 17.5, 14 hilly miles with a couple of friends then an added 3.5. Felt ok, a bit humid, and most of my long runs lately have been on trail. My legs felt more beat up after the road miles.

Cool and rainy here, but cannot complain after the summer weather.

Head Procrastinator

Hey Holly and Deez and Aamos and Tet....etc

Glaring at Erika, still waitin for that buckle recipe. Only we are fresh out of fresh blueberries now Big grin
            ~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats
            evanflein

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Well I tried to go to yoga class this evening... but the traffic on the GSP was at a standstill, and so I missed the class. Just as well, since I've been feeling rather worn out lately. At least I got my 3.5 miles in this afternoon. Never rode the stationary bike while waiting for public service because the electronic panel on the bike wasn't working right. Strange day today, now that I think about it. Must be that Mercury in retrograde thing that people talk about (whatever that means).

Hi hally!

Hey Denise, nice drizzly run for you today! Enjoy your time off (?)...
                  How's your son doing? I was thinking about you and your family this past weekend.

Hi Erika  (and everyone), thanks for thinking about us!!  Justin is doing better ......... finished the day program today sooner than I hoped - the ins. only gave him 6 days instead of 10 but he did well.  Next week he starts with a new psychopharm/psychiatrist and therapist and I am really hoping for a good fit so he is comfortable.  I know he has a long road ahead of him but at least he seems committed to taking his medicine (for now).

tired now - get to sleep in my bed during regular night hours tonight then back to work 12 hour nights for tues and wed - will be glad to not have quite so choppy a schedule!!

sweet dreams my friends!!

denise

Marathon Maniac #3309

That's good news Denise!...hope you have a good nights sleep, Dear 

Nono.........the Med was not quite that bad, but bad enough that it made me super hot and sweaty, when normally I wouldn't be so much (my cycling frens that ride behind me, thanks me :-) Also, I have noticed in the last couple of weeks, I can get my HR higher and have bigger efforts.....last Tues Night I got my HR up 194 bpm racing some cyclists around our reservoir (up hill at that point)

Nice LR lamerunner!!! That's really is sweet and cool....your DS running XC, and you guys running together today (The Sax will make him feel cool in Middle School)  

"Must be that Mercury in retrograde thing that people talk about".......................yeah OrangeMat, I'm sure that's it

"didn't I used to do 4 miles in 32 minutes on that thing just earlier this summer?? "....yeah Erika, your in horrible shape

A  first for me in a long while.........................I ran 2 days in a row and my knee felt great. 7 more ez miles, and the weather was super pleasant for running............or anything actually. I think we may be on the downside of super hot and humid weather, but I don't want summer to end either. Oh well, there is still a lot of nice weather left before the cold gets here (Huh Holly?)

Hope everyone has a nice night, and great Tues!

Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!