Masters Running

WEEKLY RUNNING & X-TRAINING GROUP w/e 07/18 (Read 415 times)

The medals don't mean anything and the glory doesn't last. It's all about your happiness. The rewards are going to come, but my happiness is just loving the sport and having fun performing.  (Jackie Joyner Kersee - 1962)

What's on the agenda this week, folks?

Dutchie -58.4 km running, 2x5 km biking, lower body - 3x, upper body - 3x, abs - 2x

Erika - 53.8 miles run and 3.7 miles walked plus gardening and housework (hey, I do it infrequently enough that I count it when it happens!)

Shadowrunner -25.6 miles running, 2.25 hrs free weights, 1.10 hrs core, 630 push ups, 1 hr swimming

Stumpy - 6.9 miles running plus a sundry of cross-training

pfriese -29.1 running miles

Dove - 35 miles running, strength training

fatozzig - 7 EZ road miles, 31.06 trail race at SOB

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mon - Travel Home

Tues - 3 easy miles -------------------------------- 3 recovery miles

Wed - Rest

Thurs - Strength training -------------------------- 50 minutes, upper body and core whilst watching "House"

Fri - Rest

Sat - 5+ miles trail run ----------------------------- 5 road miles

Sun -10 miles --------------------------------------- 10 road miles

Totals:18 road miles, 50 min upper body/core

I'm such a moron.  I thought today (Tues) was Wednesday and I was suppose to run yesterday but I ran today instead, now which day do I switch to strength training, yadda, yadda, yadda.   On the bright side, I get to sleep in the a.m. once I kick the cats out.

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

Easy for Jackie to say... she was usually on the top! I can appreciate what she means though. Just find it a little insincere for these top performers to say things like winning doesn't matter. Yeah, right.

Ok, beginning the first of a two week taper week for my 16.5 mile hilly trail race. I've never really "tapered" for this race, but this coming Saturday is an 8k race that I'd like to do well at, but don't expect a PR (different course). I may do some increased intensity (i.e., more hills) but less distance these next two weeks.

Monday: 4 miles elliptical (32:47), half mile walk, 15 minutes abs/core

Tuesday: 6.1 easy paced miles (8:42), .3 mile walk

Wednesday: 8 miles of rolling hills (8:29 avg), .4 mile walk

Thursday: 6.1 miles with .5 mile repeats @ 3k pace, 2 min. recovery (8:02 avg pace), .4 mile walk

Friday: 3.3 miles easy with some fartlek style striders, .4 mile walk

Saturday: .6 mile warm-up, 4.8 mile race (34:35) and 3.2 mile run afterwards for 8.6 miles total

Sunday: 14.2 mile hot and thirsty run, .2 mile walk c/d

Totals: 46.3 miles run, 2.3 miles walked, 4 miles on the elliptical and just one abs/core workout

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

Thanks Leslie.

M: 15 mins core excercises: 160 push-ups, 3 sets of abds and pull-ups

T: 4.39 easy run this moring. 

W: 15 mins core excercises: 170 push-ups, 3 sets of abds, and pull-ups, mild stretching
          R: 15 mins core excercises: 160 push-ups, 3 sets of abds and pull-ups, mild stretching, long easy run this morning - 8 Miles @ 8:07 pace.  50 mins of free-weights in afternoon.  Some light leg work too.
          F: 15 mins core excercises: 160 push-ups, 3 sets of abds and pull-ups, mild stretching - SRD for running today.
          SA:  15 mins core excercises: 170 push-ups, 3 sets of abds, and pull-ups, mild stretching; followed by 10.9 mile run in hot humid NJ.  Had to stpp multiple times fatigued or to drink from water bottle.
          SU: 4.12 easy miles - yeah right in 80F temps and high humidity.  Even shirtless I could not cool down again today.  Mayvbe swim later.

totals for week:

27.8 miles

1.25 hrs core excercises:  820 push-ups

50 mins free-weights

Not too good for crosstraining this week.

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

Dutchie42

Hi everyone, and thanks again Leslie

Mon: Should've done UB (chest&triceps) but needed to sleep in. Yesterday's long run apparently took a lot out of me. Not sure when I can do these.

I drank 3 liters of water during the Sunday, without needing extra bathroom time. Guess I was pretty dehydrated.

Did bike to work though, first time on my hybride. Took me 20 minutes one way.

Tue: 7K bridge repeats (6x300 meter bridge repeats, plus wu and cd)

Was up late (5h40) then didn't want to run, then did want to run, but only had 40 min tops left. Decided to run on the TM cause I could then make the most of the time I had. There were "bridge repeats" on schedule for today so I did the following:
            9min@9.0K warm up
            5min@10K
            90sec@3-4-5% @9.0K with 90 sec recoveries @ 0% inbetween
            5min@10K
            90sec@5-4-3% @9.0K with 90 sec recoveries @ 0% inbetween
            30 sec@10K with 60sec@9.0K recovery. Repeat 3 times and finish at 7K total distance
            Felt great! 

Hopped on my hybrid again and switched gears (literally). This time only 16 minutes and change biking to work and a little less then 16 minutes going home in the afternoon again. Nice! If I put in the miles, I should be able to ride it in less than 15 minutes soon, and not break a sweat

Wed: 11.5K easy run

Another morning where I didn't want to run, then did want to run, sigh. But this time I only had 30 minutes for a run left so the TM it was again. A 5.5K tempo run. Had to run to the bathroom twice, so I actually didn't mind being on the TM 

No bike commute though, I was really running late so the car was my only option,

Thu: 8.8K easy run + 30min LB

I really really did not want to run today. But I did anyway. First 35 minutes weren't easy due to very tight lower calfs and a seemingly lack of energy. Had to stop numerous times to stretch my calfs. But after 35 minutes, I was suddenly flying! Managed an 11.2 kilometer run. I'll call it progressive, cause the second half was much faster than the first half, but I suppose a negative split is a better description

Plus 12 minutes abs.

Fri: 45min UB (back, shoulders, biceps) + abs

This morning was 30min of UB (all five major muscle groups) and Abs. Plus a 4 kilometer run on the TM:

10min@9K
            3min@10K
            walk break recovery (1 minute?) @5K
            10min@9.5K
            3min@10K
            Felt great. I felt great! Calfs were a little tight, but no need to stop and stretch. No bathroom breaks either for once. 

Sat: 6.5K easy run + 30 min LB

This morning I did a 5K doggie run. Spike hadn't been out with me in about a month. It was just too hot and humid for him. But after all the rain storms we had this week, temp dropped to 16C and the humidity was gone. He loved it, but 5K was a bit much all at once for him. So the second half I allowed him a lot of sniffing time
            After, I did a cardio Hiit w/o for the first time (STS Hiit 30/30). I've had it scheduled many times, but never got around to doing it. I really like this little w/o. It's 30 seconds of intense cardio plyometrics, then 30 sec recovery (repeat 16x). Next time I'll do Hiit 40/30 (40 sec of cardio plyometrics with 30 sec recovery).
            Added on 10 min abs and a nice long LB stretch. Oh almost forgot, also did pushups: 1x12, 1x8, 1x4. 

Sun: 2h20 long run

The most amazing run in a long time.
            I was expecting my legs to be tired after yesterdays HiiT w/o, but if anything, they seemed to have more umph then they've had in a long time. I ran effortless, smooth and without ever feeling the need for a break, except for potty breaks of course.
            1st half = 1:11:16
            2nd half = 1:08:35 and I did intervals in the tree tunnel (after about 17 kilometers): 10 trees easy pace, 10 trees a bit faster and repeat 8  more times. Then approx. 1 kilometer at an easy pace again before running up the bridge, increasing speed every 3rd lamppost (5x) before recovering another 230 meters to finish. Total 2:19:51 (=19.97 kilomters).
            It's been amazing. Really!

Total running mileage: 52.9 kilometers

Total biking mileage: 26 speedy kilometers

LB: 0x

UB:1x

Abs: 3x

Other cardio: 1x

Dutchie
            Run the day, or the day runs you.

Dove

The Dovenator

I'll be pushing the distance again this week. The plan:

Monday: 6..........................3/4 mile swim, 8 miles running

Tuesday: 5...........................7 and weights

Wednesday: 10..................10 with 6x1/2mi at 5k pace

Thursday: 5..........................rest

Friday: rest...........................rest

Saturday: 30 (with a 8k to start it off)........40.5 with an 8k in the middle

Sunday: 10............................10

Total: 75.5 running, 1 weight session, 1 swim workout

"it's just like having fun, but different"

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Late getting started, but happy to be here among all the ultra-goddesses (and you, too, Joe  ) 

Dutchie--a very disappointing game.  It seemed the Orange had the better chances, but their physical game finally cost them with leaving one main unmarked for such a short time.  I won't miss listening to the horns, though.

Monday:  Yoga.  Done.

Tuesday:  3-4 quickly.  3.1 fairly quickly (not downloaded yet to know for sure)

Wednesday:  Travel to Nashville until Saturday.  Fitness center, here I come.

Thursday:  ellipticalling. Hah--nothing.

Friday:  More of the same.  got that right, except it was more nothing.

Saturday:  Travel home.  pushups and stretching in the morning, lots of airport wlaking, wheeling my computer case behind me.

Sunday:  something long.  Longish, compared to recent ones, 4.75 in a nicely consistant 9:50 pace.  80 when I finsihed, though.  more yard work  this afternoon.

Totals:  Yoga, 7.85 running, airport walking.  Not a great week.  Next week may not be much better, with another trip looming.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

pfriese

Thanks Leslie.

Only 29.1 miles last week.

This week:

M - travel

T - 8.8 miles

W - rest day

Th - 12 miles

F - 7.2 miles

Sa - 10.7 miles

Su - 11.3 miles

Total - 50 miles