Masters Running

Thoisday, March 9, 2017 (Read 37 times)

Yes, Super Granny was 106.  This year would've been her 107 birthday.  Born in 1910.  Whenever I hear of someone in the 100's, I always think of the incredible changes they've seen in this world in their lifetimes.

Holly - Hopefully you can get a replacement for the stick without having to pay for a new.  Coming apart after only 11 days??

The Hub's chol was 236.  I don't know how high his BP was. I think he was surprised at both, which are an issue in his family, as well as cancer.  However, given his penchant for sweets and not doing anything physical beyond his job, I can't say I'm surprised.  I think he's been living in denial. . . .   I'm blessed that none of that runs in my family.  My bad chol is usually really low and my good chol is usually fantastic.  I asked my primary one time if that meant I could start eating more French fries.  I was told no, it just means I have good genes.  Dang it!   The things I watch for on a regular basis are arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis because of my mom.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Today will be pool running. Foot is actually feeling good enough I'm tempted to try a run, but find I'm a little wary to actually do it.

Don't do it! Don't do it! I thought the same thing this morning, the temp was decent and the 50 mph winds left late last night. Just a short run won't hurt things, right?  Same thing as last week. First 2 miles ok, then misery. Back to square one. I am so stupid

Sorry to hear about Super Granny's death, and also just want to throw in how much I miss Karin's posts. She was always so positive and upbeat.

Dick's should replace that lacrosse stick free of charge, I would hope. Have a great trip Holly! Make sure to post lots of picture of you in your bikini on FB!

My DH is also on Lipitor. Also takes a baby aspirin every day. He goes to the Y several times a week, but just walks with a bunch of guy friends for an hour. Nothing very intense. We have a BP cuff here and every time I take mine, it's usually like 96/54. DH always tells me I'll probably never have a heart attack, but if I do, they won't be able to get my heart pumping again!

Good luck with your MRI results Leslie. Glad you got in early. And hang in there Deez.

4.24 running/limping miles this morning. Gosh I'm stupid...

Hi gang!

Long past time I should check in...

I saw Karin's announcement of Super Granny's passing. Very sad. I always got a smile out of hearing how she was doing and seeing the pics.

Am not currently running myself..... Busted my leg on a trail run in Jan, thanks to a fall on the ice. I see the ortho guy tomorrow to get next steps with recovery, but I'm pretty much writing off the season for trail racing. Will probably do a lot more volunteering at local ultras.

On the discussion of cholesterol, my LDL has been borderline for years, but edged up this last check into the actionable zone. My diet isn't what it should be, and isn't likely to change much soon, so I've started using Metamucil routinely. Has significantly helped the gut as well. Ironically, my DH, who is totally inactive and on 3 BP meds always has terrific cholesterol. Go figure.

.....Nancy The road to hell is paved....... run trails!

Henrun

Checking in with all the medically challenged.

But first, let me add my condolences to Karen-SuperGranny did live a long and wonderful life.

I've been on BP meds for a number of years and they're low dosage now and my BP is quite stable. My Cholesterol is borderline high but the good stuff is quite high. Both conditions are genetic and exercise and diet are very important.

Saw my Ortho for my 5 month check.Says I'm doing well but it will take up to a year to get full function of my knee. He recommends elliptical and indoor cycling and walking- all in moderation! And impatience is normal for all knee replacement people. Saying "OM" and soldiering on.

evanflein

Don't do it! Don't do it! I thought the same thing this morning, the temp was decent and the 50 mph winds left late last night. Just a short run won't hurt things, right?  Same thing as last week. First 2 miles ok, then misery. Back to square one. I am so stupid

You know what, Jlynne, it's funny, but thinking of you is part of what is holding me back! That, and I remember all too well that 3 mile test run I did a week and a half before the marathon, and had that exact same experience. So, I will say that when I do run, it'll be just one mile to start. If I can make it one mile, I'll try two miles in two days, hitting the pool in between. I'm going to take it very slowly and build back up gradually. My next race is May 6 and it's only a 5k, so I've got some time. I am just bummed at watching that pace bunny disappear into the distance though.

Yep, Super Granny was a little over 106. Just incredible, and yes to think of all that she saw in her life. Just incredible. Funny thing too, how I never met her but feel a sense of loss. Thinking of Karin and her family...

Have fun Holly! And yes, another vote for Dicks replacing at no cost. There's got to be some sort of warranty, right?

My cholesterol is over 200 but, like Holly, it's because the HDL is so high. No cholesterol or BP issues in my family, but keeping an eye on it anyway. The nurse at my doc's office told me a couple years ago: "You're living right and you picked your parents well!"

35 minutes of pool running today. Kind of nice to have only 4 of us in the pool today, but of course, the one splasher was in the lane next to mine. 

Am not currently running myself..... Busted my leg on a trail run in Jan, thanks to a fall on the ice. I see the ortho guy tomorrow to get next steps with recovery, but I'm pretty much writing off the season for trail racing. Will probably do a lot more volunteering at local ultras.

Say it ain't so!  Let us know what the ortho guy says.  Yup, I'll be volunteering, too.  I love volunteering at ultras. 

We have a small trail run at locally in the Arcata Community Forest in two weeks at which I've volunteered the last 3 years at crucial turning points.  This year, because it's inadvisable to walk the distance I would need to walk to those spots, I am volunteering at the finish line . . . . and the bathrooms.  I guess we get a key to let in folks who are running; otherwise, the bathrooms are locked, except for big special events.  I told the RD that was a perfect spot for me since I've been accused of stalking bathrooms in the past.  

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

spacityrunner

So sad about Super Granny...but what a great and full life she lived!  

All you injured people...get better, ok?

4.1 humid (91% to be exact) miles at lunch today.  I was not expecting that level of humidity and boy did I sweat.  It was only 64f so i thought it would be a nice cool evening run.  Wrong.  

All my stats re: health wise are good/great/wow ...I sure do hope I stay that way (I feel very very lucky).

Trails Rock!

My DW has a really high bad cholesterol. But apparently her good cholesterol level is off the charts so her ratio is among the best her doctor has ever seen. Her doctor said her blood was like Draino.  Not a bad condition to have. I fear my blood is pretty normal, with ordinary but fine cholesterol levels. Genetics + running = good.

No run for me today. Just an hour on the elliptical. Then I rushed off to school to administer a final to some students who had to take it early. I was flabbergasted by one of the students who complained that they did not expect to have to know the formulas behind Excel functions. This, after I told them all numerous times that the would not be allowed to bring any electronics into the exam. What did they think, that meant I could not ask about anything Excel had a built in function for?  I guess so. Tomorrow is the regular exam date. We will see how many more of these people are out there. Now I just have to hope I am there for the exam too! It is going to snow quite a bit around my area of the country starting at 4am tomorrow and ending at about 9am. I have to be in my office by 8:30am to be sure to have everything ready to go when the test starts at 9am. Translation: If the highways are a mess and there are wrecks all over as a result I am going to have to leave my house hours ahead of time (instead of just one hour like normal). 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

C-R

Hey all.

Quick post.

So sorry to hear about Super Granny. An amazing lady. Prayers for the family. Been a tough week around these parts.

2 miles just to keep the streak.

Back to work.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Yes--I was very sad to hear about Super Granny.  Like Erika said...I feel a sense of loss...and I have no idea why.  I just loved her smile and the gentleness in her eyes.

I went 7 miles today and was looking forward to getting home and working on a project for church.  As soon as I walked into my room, my phone rang.  It was Eric--he had locked his keys in his car...again...and it was running.  So, I had to jump in the car and drive over to unlock his door...it took an hour round trip.  I was mad, but I kept telling myself that, with Eric--this is only a nuisance--it could have been a whole lot worse.

So--I guess I'll wok on that project, tomorrow.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!