Masters Running

WEEKLY RUNNING & X-TRAINING GROUP w/e 05/30/2010 (Read 706 times)

It a funny thing about life; if you refuse to accept anything but the best, you very often get it. (W. Sommerset Morgan)

Have a great week ~

Erika - 51 running miles, 3.5 walking miles, 2 rest days. 51 miles!!!

Dutchie -13k biking miles, upper body - 3x, lower body - 2x, abs - 3x, boxing - 1x Welcome back to the workout world, Dutchie

Evryday - Wanting to learn how to shoot craps with the wimmin

Stumpy - 17.5 running miles, yoga, x-training, pump class Longest LR of 7.8 miles.  Way to Go!

Shadowrunner - 16.3 running miles, 850 push-ups (), 1.5 hrs core excercises; 1.5 hrs free weight, 20 min elliptical

pfriese - 49.8 running miles Mr. Consistency

fatozzig - 28.15 running miles, 80 min core/strength

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

Hey Leslie! I was wondering where you were, grrl!

This week is a bit of a cutback week. Next week might be also. I need to do some speed stuff and whatever else I can think of to get ready for the 10k on June 19. But this week, I need to get my garden done!! Taking Friday off to help that happen.

Monday: 4 miles on the elliptical (32:32), then about 10 minutes abs/core on the stability ball

Tuesday: 6 miles progression run, .3 mile walk

Wednesday: 7.2 hilly trail miles in 80° temps. Oofda. .45 mile walk afterwards

Thursday: 5.56 progressive pace run (8:03 avg), same trail as Tuesday; .63 mile walk c/d

Friday: A full day of running errands, housework and garden/yard work. Harder than running!

Saturday: 9.1 miles run, just under 8:20 avg pace, .3 mile walk c/d; garden work in the P.M.

Sunday: Air Quality advisory had me skipping my long run; working in the garden for 6 hours instead

Totals: 27.9 miles run (couldn't I have done .1 more??), 4 miles elliptical, 1.7 miles walked (well, more than that but that's all I measured), plus many hours in the garden!

Hi, Leslie and everyone!  My running-related aches and pains got better.  I felt "neutral" for a while and then I started to feel old-person aches and pains, so I figured my body was telling me to get out there again.

Monday - 35-minute walk; celebrated by registering for a marathon in December  

Tuesday - lots and lots of stretching

Wednesday - 35-minute walk with about 4x as much running mixed in as on Monday; smelled honeysuckle, visited two new neighbor cats and watched the full moon rise  Smile

Thursday - lots o' stretching; early night - hafta be at school at 6 a.m. tomorrow to leave for a field trip:  music performances then a theme park; going to power-walk the hills at the park

Friday - 30-minute power walk at the theme park; then a blitz to hit 4 roller coasters in just over an hour with lots of sprint-walking in between

Saturday - rest and recovery from super long day Friday

Sunday -  short walk on the beach with the older two godsons

Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Beginner all over again

I'm going to try to keep up with ya'll again.  It's a challenge for me :-)

Eliz - Wow, you registered. Good for you!  I'm right behind ya about 24 months..., but I'll get there

This week - is a Run Cut-Back me for me.

Two weeks training, every 3rd week is Cutback week

All Run is by HeartRate <135, walking as needed,

15 mins Walk-only  WarmUp and

15 mins Walk-only  CoolDown

Sunday......... :50....RUN    HR<145  paceAvg 14:10  -- big improvement for me - yay

Monday........1:30.......BIKE

Tuesday.........:45....RUN....HR<135..paceAvg 15:58 (smokin'Fast for HR<135, yay, improvement!)

Wednesday..1:10.......BIKE

Thursday.........................plan Run :45

Friday................................plan...Rrrrrrrest Day !!

Saturday...........................plan ?  4-miler "Race" at HR<135

Sneak Preview

Sunday...............................plan BIKE

Monday...............................plan ...5K "race" at HR<135

Super-Sneak Preview

May 2013......BQ

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

Thanks Leslie.

M - 15 mins core excercises 150 push-ups, 3 sets of abds, light stretching.

T - 15 mins core excercises 150 push-ups, 3 sets of abds, light stretching, 5K fun run this morning.  finished 3/18 in my age group, 17 overall.  23:47 {7:40 min pace} not to shabby for Denver. Afternoon hotel fitness center free weights and circuit work-out. 1 hour 10 mins.

W- 15 mins core excercises 150 push-ups, 3 sets of abds, light stretching, Easy 4.01 miles run @ 8 min mile pace.

R- 15 mins core excercises 150 push-ups, 3 sets of abds, light stretching, Easy 4.01 miles run.  Fly home today.

F- SRD

Sa- 15 mins core excercises 150 push-ups, 3 sets of abds, 3 sets of pull-ups, light stretching, Planning a longer run today. 

Su- SRD  Unless you count mowing 2 backyards.

total mileage: 19.1 miles, 450 push-ups, 1.25 hrs core excercises, 1:10 free weights.

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

Thanks Leslie!  Eliz, good for you registering for a marathon!  I can't even think about running a race, even a 5K, for a few more months.

Monday - off

Tuesday - 5 miles (done)

Wednesday - 5 miles slow (done)

Thursday - off

Friday - 6 miles (done)

Saturday - elliptical/weights (done)

Sunday - 10 miles (done)

26 total miles this week.

Meg

MTA: great 5K Shadow!

Once a runner . . .

Erika - I was in Sacramento for a conference last Wednesday through Sunday.  It was $10 a day for Internet access so, except for the Thurs, I was "unavailable."

Eliz - Congrats on signing up for a marathon!

Frances - Anything is better than nothing and more than what most people do.

Mon - Rest

Tues - 3 or 30; core/strength ------------------------------------------- 30 min; 1.25 hrs core/strength

Wed - 10 miles w/strides ----------------------------------------------- 8.25 miles in 1:22+/-

Thurs - 3 or 30; core/strength ----------------------------------------- 1.10 hrs core/strength

Fri - Rest

Sat - 16 trail miles -------------------------------------------------------- 15.80 tuff, tuff trail miles

Sun - 10 miles -------------------------------------------------------------

Totals: 24.05 running miles, 30 min stationary biking, 2.35 hrs core/strength

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jtv

Sorry to crash this party, but I wondered what happened to Meg since I was MIA for a few years.

Glad to hear your on the mend Meg.  Sounds similar to my situation.  I've been dealing with a (probable) torn meniscus for over a year.  6 Mos of PT.  I too am leery of running back-to-back days.  I alternate running/fast-walking days, and warmup/cooldown are always walking.

Ok, back to the thread..

M     -      Rest

T     -       5 miles walking (~10:50 pace) / Pilates       ... done

W    -       5 miles w/3 mile tempo

T     -        Rest

F     -        5 mile run/walk

S     -        5 mile walk

Su   -       10 mile run/walk   - hopeful to hit double digits for the 1st time since last fall!

Have a good week everyone

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Welcome back, Les, and thanks for getting us going while you recover from from your conference.  I didn't think many hotels still charged for internet access.  Get your boss to spring for a better one

Going to be an intersting week getting some work in.  Sunday afternoon I got another sore spot that feels distressingly like the metatarsalgia I had on the other foot a few months ago.  Plus I get to go to NC for a couple of days and then up to Maine to open the camp for the year.  Hopeing to feel like running again on Sunday.

Mon:  Yoga.  Skipped

Tues:  5 miles.  Skipped

Wed:  40 minutes X-T.  35 minute and 3 miles on the eleiptical before travel

Thur:  5 miles.  Fitness center at the hotel didn't call me loud enough

Fri:  rest.  Mostly rest, but we did a lot of the opening of our camp tonight after work.

Sat:  X-T.  Due to missing Thursday, I went out for 4.4 up in Maine.

Sun:  8 miles.  Skipped, see Monday to come.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

I didn't think many hotels still charged for internet access.  Get your boss to spring for a better one

Unfortunately, it's up to the hosting association to pick the hotel (these conferences are planned 2 years out).  For some reason, they all keep picking Hiltons, and Hilton Hotels always charge for internet access.  

Hope the foot doesn't get any worse.

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Glad to hear your on the mend Meg.  Sounds similar to my situation.  I've been dealing with a (probable) torn meniscus for over a year.  6 Mos of PT.  I too am leery of running back-to-back days.  I alternate running/fast-walking days, and warmup/cooldown are always walking.

Jtv, thanks!  My MRI showed a small tear in the back of the meniscus but the ortho did not want to do anything about that since that is not where I am having pain.  Instead, it's in the front of the knee and he basically chalked it up to having no cartilage left in there, gave me a cortisone shot that I never thought did much good  and sent me to PT.  I find now that I have to warm up by jogging for two miles or so and then stop, stretch and walk around to get my gait right.  Usually by about four miles I am starting to feel better.  I probably should try more walking to warm up.  I always walk to cool down.  I did my first back to back run today and just did it slow and untimed.  Hopefully all will be okay.  I'm still doing PT exercises though not going to PT since my insurance ran out.  I figure on this being at least a year's worth of recovery.  Good to hear you too are on the mend.  Maybe we can remind each other just to take it easy and slow! 

Once a runner . . .

evanflein

So Meg, what'd you do with all your cartilage? Silly girl. Glad to have both of you back and posting!

As for the hotels and internet, it seems like the cheaper lower end hotels don't charge (most Holiday Inns, Hampton Inn, Courtyard, etc), but the higher end hotels DO charge. It just doesn't make any sense. I've heard it explained that when they charge separately they don't charge the "bed tax" on the it. Pretty lame excuse, IMO.

Dutchie42

Late again... Thanks Leslie for starting us again.

I feel so exhausted all the time. Not sure what's going on. I can't imagine it's because the vision in my R-eye is only 25%. Maybe the lack of fresh air, now that I'm not running, isn't doing me any good.

Mon: 50 minutes of kickboxing, hitting and punching air and no jumping.

Tue: 30min LB strength, 12 minutes of chest and 18 minutes of triceps + 13K bike commute.

Wed: too exhausted, needed to sleep in

Thu: same.

Fri: same, Candle light yoga, nice. Relaxing.

Sat: yeah, took the dogs out for my 1st "run". Felt great to be out there again. Not sure my body agreed I sure am lacking fitness and stamina. And it was only 3 kilometers. On the upside, from here on it can only get better.

Added on 30min LB and 30min back, shoulders and biceps. Plus 10min of core on the stability ball.

Sun: another doggie run today. Kept Spike on leash cause it was raining and I was in no mood to stand around in the rain if he went after a rabbit or something. This time 3.4K, and it not only felt much better than yesterday, I was a little bit faster too  

Added on 30min LB and 30 min of Michael Olajide's Aerobox. 

Dutchie
                            Run the day, or the day runs you.

dg.

hi....    I'm going to try to get back here next week, sorry to be absent for so long.  I haven't kept up well anywhere, & since the surgery haven't been able to cross train anyway!   Isn't that stupid?  Even after I've been able to run a little, that's the only thing.   But hey if I had to pick one....   so better not complain.

(((Dutchie))).... how long since you had your surgery?  have you felt tired all this time?   things like that really kick your butt, even more than you expect, so I've always heard & experienced even in my minor thing. 

Meg & jtv...   I'm so glad you're both here & posting & running...   I'm going to watch carefully so remember to keep setting a good example.    I've never done anything remotely close to anything either one of you have done, but do have a record for constantly reinjuring just about everything.    I had (every one else here already knows, sorry guys) hernia repair surgery march 22, was sort of out of things a few weeks before that, & have not healed quickly so I'm just back to running for a couple of weeks, & just added a little core work back this week.

Hey Meg, I signed up for 'your' marathon this year!    but it was the day before the surgery,  so I wasn't able to do it.  had hamstring problems a lot through the winter so it was iffy anyway, but I'd wanted to go & do something at least. . 

I've had the same thing as far as back to back runs, the one I did even though little backfired.     It seems like if you finally get down enough, you finally learn what you really have to do to avoid doing it again!

uh oh.   have to go.   have not even started to pack, groceries all over the kitchen counter, etc. etc.

Dutchie42

dg.: the exhaustion started when I went back to work. I have a hectic job. And with the change in management per 1 June, it's even more hectic than usual.

Dutchie
                                Run the day, or the day runs you.