Masters Running

Friday - 11/2 (Read 41 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Tet - I didn't answer your question from before.  No, I wasn't at WS in 2015.  There's a video out there somewhere that's a different angle of the finish line and it shows the race directors and long-time participants losing their stuff as Gunhild is coming down the last few yards, screaming and yelling then jumping up and down then losing their stuff like a bunch of kids when she made it across.  In 2016, we had the same thing - the last person, a woman in her 60's trying to complete the Grand Slam came across with less than a minute to spare.  I think it was in 2017 when Scott . . . (his last name escapes me) - an older gentlemen who's been a part of WS for decades - came around the track with a severe lean to the left.  Within yards of the finish line, he fell and was screaming at people, "Don't touch me! Don't touch me!" 'cause if they did, he would be disqualified.  He managed to get himself back on his feet and finished.  Both of these incidents, all of us in attendance were screaming our frigging heads off, "Run! Run! Run!"  I tell ya, The Golden Hour is one of my favorite times of the year and it ain't for the faint of heart.

Thanks! Thanks!

I'll definitely check them out.

What fantastic experiences you have had.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Hey folks - it's almost the weekend. Sorry to say this is more important to those of you still working full time, but we all still look forward to the weekend, right?

So sorry your calf is still bothering you Dave. You've gotten some good advice. Add me to the list who think you should skip the half, unless you think a walk/run would be doable without causing further injury.

BTY - I'm sorry you felt like you had to stop posting. Come back please!

Holly - I feel your pain. Ever since I turned 65, nothing I do seems to help with my weight gain. Perhaps I should try shoving away from the table now and then. I'm about 4 pounds heavier in the last year, and I'm short so it really shows.

Great picture of Owen and grandma yesterday. And yes, Steve hit the beauty lottery when he married his DW. She's very pretty.

Tet - the stories you tell about running in Seattle. I can't imagine having to call 911 for someone OD'd on the sidewalk. And nice of you to carry granola bars for the homeless and panhandlers.

I didn't feel like bundling up this morning so I went to the Y for an hour on the elliptical, 10 minutes on the rower and 25 minutes of weights and core stuff. The weather doesn't look so hot this weekend. May try to get out for a long run tomorrow before the rain starts.

Have a great rest of the day people.

Marathon Maniac #957

Shuuterfly emails me with memories....Love this picture from 10 years ago....DS was 12 and DD was 6...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

bioguy

Great day at school today; students were totally engaged and on task; had many great questions asked today. 3 easy miles mostly in grass then a quick trip to the weight room.

Supposed to be cold rain tonight and tomorrow but I think I’ll plod our in it anyway.

Tailwinds!

Bioguy - This was posted by a teacher in a running forum I'm on FB:

I teach high school seniors and once in a while I cut the curriculum and go into “Life 101”. I tell them to take out a piece of paper and write down “What I Do Just For Me That Brings Me Joy (that I don’t need others to do, unless it’s a team or something). ” The rules are it can’t be

Sleep 
            Any kind of social media
            Hang out with my friends 
            Do something for the sake of “posting” it

I have seen children sit and stare for 30 minutes as to how to answer this question. I know we all have running at the top of the list but what else would you write? I tell them mine are Running, Reading, Paddleboarding and the Beach. Kind of trying to ask them “What makes you YOU when no one else is around?” Trying to give them as many examples as possible and i know this is a motivated group. I tell them you don’t want to go out into the world without some ideas for the answer to this question.

Mine (besides running): Reading, Knitting, Going on Walks

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Joe618

It was a beautiful morning here for a 5 mile run.

Paul

And hope you had a nice flight to NYC, Paul!!

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Joe618

In the category "So You Think You've Seen Everything"....

I'm running the Indianapolis Monumental Marathon tomorrow morning, start/finish in downtown Indy, next to the state capitol building.   Got an email late this afternoon from the RD telling us all the traffic will be difficult tomorrow, as President Trump is in Indy tonight (Friday) for a rally and a major area, about a block from the finish line, will be cordoned off completely from 5pm tonight until 11:00am Saturday.   Severely complicates packet pick up tonight (no pickup on race morning, though I wonder if they'll make an exception now).   Fully alters traffic patterns tomorrow morning...it's tight down there normally, with 13,000 runners converging.   I have my alternate path to the parking garage where I have a reserved spot, but I have Plans B, C and D ready, as anything could happen.    Man, Jay, how'd you like to be the RD and find out THAT news on race week????!!!!!!

This is my 84th marathon/ultra and over 300 races total but have never run into a Presidential appearance.   I'll let you know how it goes.

Meanwhile, I gotta get to bed...out the door at 4:30am tomorrow to have coffee with the Secret Service guys before the race....

Joe

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

bioguy

Bioguy - This was posted by a teacher in a running forum I'm on FB:

I teach high school seniors and once in a while I cut the curriculum and go into “Life 101”. I tell them to take out a piece of paper and write down “What I Do Just For Me That Brings Me Joy (that I don’t need others to do, unless it’s a team or something). ” The rules are it can’t be

Sleep 
                  Any kind of social media
                  Hang out with my friends 
                  Do something for the sake of “posting” it

I have seen children sit and stare for 30 minutes as to how to answer this question. I know we all have running at the top of the list but what else would you write? I tell them mine are Running, Reading, Paddleboarding and the Beach. Kind of trying to ask them “What makes you YOU when no one else is around?” Trying to give them as many examples as possible and i know this is a motivated group. I tell them you don’t want to go out into the world without some ideas for the answer to this question.

Mine (besides running): Reading, Knitting, Going on Walks

So I do a lot of “talking about life” with students without getting political or overly preachy, just realistic. Many of my students are trying to do too many things just to pad resumes for college. Others  honestly, don’t seem to have a clue how to get out of the unfortunate circumstances they have been born into.

evanflein

Good luck with the pre-race logistics, Joe. Sounds like the race will be a cake walk after that!

Leslie, that's a good lesson, and sad that so many kids seem stumped by it. I bet what really throws a lot of them off is the no social media or posting restrictions. Hey, what else is there?? some would say.

Mine: (besides running, that should be our ground rule) reading, gardening, doting on my cat...

Holly, I love that picture!

So I got some suggestions on the HR monitor, because those earlier readings just couldn't be right. The suggestions were to keep it warm, and more snugly strapped on my wrist. So, I kept it under my sleeve and tightened it up a bit. Much better. Average for the 3.8 miles was 148 with a peak of 168 at the end after a faster-than-intended mile and starting back up the hill. That makes much more sense.

RunnerKSA I saw your question about Emily Sherrard. No, I have never met her. 

fatozzig I read your question and all of my thoughts about an answer were quite snarky! The first involved using substances I would not want mom, dad or the teacher to know anything about!

Holly S. I do not know the situation at your law firm, but I have RA's that I introduce as my RA to people. I am not sure what else I would say? 

Jlynne I agree, BTY come back! I have no idea why BTY thought there was any reason to take down that post or stop posting. I thought it was just a case of different people can have different views about race organizing. I did not see any animosity.

I have a friend who I told I am signed up for the 2019 Chicago marathon. He said it is one he has wanted to run. I suggested he enter the lottery and see what happens. He then reminded me that he is battling PF. It turns out he tried running 3 miles yesterday and it really hurt. We were at lunch and a triathlete friend asked when the marathon was. I said next October and he said there was lots of time to heal up and train. (I sure hope so since that is my plan!) I know one thing about PF, if you keep running it will keep running with you. I pointed out that if he stopped running tomorrow, the PF would be gone 6 months from tomorrow and he would have 5 months to train for the race, plenty of time. But, if he ran for another week and stopped then the PF would be gone in 6 months and a week. I guess with friends like me who needs hectoring relatives!  I really would like him to heal up and run Chicago. I just wish he would let his PF heal.

As for my day, I went to PT. The met some friends at a local place that was featured on an early episode of Diners, Drive Ins and Dives. It was supposed to close this Sunday. Then the paper said they received financing and suddenly it is staying open. The food is okay, but not good enough to go out of your way for and certainly not good enough to feature on a television show. But the place is iconic and I am glad it is not going under.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, fairly short post.  Slept in so only time for an easy 3.3 miles.  Temps dropped during the day and are currently closer to seasonal (so close to pleasant running weather).  Drill weekend, so need to go to bed soon.

Holly (and all of the legal professionals here), pretty sure that would annoy me also.  Not entirely analogous but....coming out of college, I was a newly minted 2Lt in the Air Force (ROTC).  The AF, in its infinite wisdom, decides I should be an aircraft maintenance officer.  I go to a 6 month school where I learn basic organization structures, acronyms, basic flight dynamics, lectures on "how things work", etc.  Finally go to my first assignment, a F-16 unit in south Georgia.  I then was taught "how things really work" by senior NCOs.  Technical professionals old enough to be my mom or dad...and who being professionals called 2Lt Falconfixer, "Sir."  Weird dichotomy, but it (mostly) works.  But of course it's based on mutual respect.

Dave, I don't envy your decision.  This is one of those cases where it's easier to offer the advice to not run (or run/walk) an event versus taking that advice!  So I'll understand if you decide to try it.  I think your alternate plan (Thanksgiving 5k) makes far more sense than trying to do a half tomorrow.  Actually, it being a half makes it easier....a 10k I'd be sorely tempted, it's a bit easier to rationalize not doing the additional 6.9 miles.

Steve, beautiful baby!

Have a great night everyone!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Jlynne I agree, BTY come back! I have no idea why BTY thought there was any reason to take down that post or stop posting. I thought it was just a case of different people can have different views about race organizing. I did not see any animosity

two cat - me too. I didn't realize it was the race awards one that got deleted 'til I went back too and, even though I wouldn't want the three hour marathoners waiting around for my now seven hour finishes before they got their awards, I thought BTY's idea was the most considerate I ever heard of from an RD.  Sorry I didn't take more time in saying it in the way I wanted but I've never been known for clarity of posting herein like I have to do everywhere eise. I'm glad there isn't an RA entrance exam, though.

However, it didn't sound like such a great idea when DS said GS

was going to be a storm trooper but, no wonder it sounded kind of familiar

and wasn't at all the kind of storm trooper we knew in the late forties at that age..

. .

so did your story about the second chance dive.

Sorry it wasn't the Italian one

but glad the Black Duck got a second wind.

As for my day, I went to PT. The met some friends at a local place that was featured on an early episode of Diners, Drive Ins and Dives. It was supposed to close this Sunday. Then the paper said they received financing and suddenly it is staying open. The food

is okay, but not good enough to go out of your way for and certainly not good enough to feature on a television show. But the place is iconic and I am glad it is not going under.

This is sort of funny. DW and I thought we would try to go to a restaurant, my first since the operation!, this weekend. We were thinking of which of our favorite local places to go to. Earlier this week a friend of ours quit working for a firm and is just going to run her existing private practice. Then she put out a note saying she and her DH were going to celebrate with dinner out and asked several people to join them. We said yes, and yes you do know where this is going. What restaurant did she then subsequently pick in a text this afternoon? Yep, one we detest! A cheap Italian place whose only redeeming feature is serving large quantities of low quality high calorie "classics" at a fairly low price.  To add insult to injury, a place called the Black Duck Café is closing after this Sunday (and will not open this Thursday or Friday). It was featured on a very early episode of Diners, Drive Ins and Dives. DW and I would much, much rather have gone there one last time (okay, only our second time ever, but still) than to the bad Italian place we will end up at.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Twocat - when the boss was looking for someone to help out in the elder law area at our firm, he was debating between another paralegal or an attorney.  I specifically told him when he was interviewing R, "I will NOT be HER paralegal - my plate is full being YOUR paralegal!"   He assured me when he hired her that she would work all of her own cases.  This is not how it is working out.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

sophiaK

I started running about two years ago while I walked my dog, the best thing I did for myself and for the dog. I start my day very early for this routine so that I can unleash my dog while I run in the park. Along the way, I found a couple of running partners from my neighbor to run together too. I just signed up for a local 5k run/walk, my first running race, very excited about it!

SteveP

Welcome SophiaK and sorry for the delayed response. It appears that your post is from a thread from last November.Jump on into the 4/2/19 daily. The water is fine.

SteveP