Masters Running

Race reports for December 9& 10 weekend (Read 21 times)

Mariposai

Wishing all the weekend racers a speedy and fun race.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

catwhoorg

Labrat

Due to the winterstorm and on police advice (well probably stronger than just advice) my Half was postponed to a date to be determined.

Thankfully not cancelled outright.

Probably a weekend mid-January

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Quickadder

I didn't find this thread on Saturday, so posted my RR in the Saturday daily thread. Copying it here for the record.

Swamp Stomp HM 12/9/17, Lake Charles, Louisiana.

I ran this race in 2015 as my first ever HM. That day the temperature was in the high 60s and pretty humid and I was pleased to finish just under 10 minute mile pace. Today’s race started at 32F rising to the mid 40s by the end, so no excuses available there.

I decided on a long sleeved shirt (actually the one from the 2015 race) over a short sleeved one, shorts and Saucony Cohesion shoes with ankle socks. The race package included wool gloves and I added these, but decided against any hat.

I knew that there was no chance of a podium AG place so my ‘A’ target was a huge PR at 1:56, my ‘B’ was 9:00 mile pace, C was sub 2 hours and D was to finish.

Race started promptly at 7.00am. There were about 200 runners but no wheelchairs, strollers or pets. The race is chip timed and I thought I would start at the back to see if that would help keep my pace down for the first couple of miles. That tactic did not work as I moved gradually forward and passed several of the regular Saturday morning running group. Mile 1 was 8:21, which would have been perfect for a 5K... I knew I was going far too fast and tried to dial it back a little. Miles 2 & 3 were 8:31 and 8:47 and I was only a few seconds away from my 5K PR. Mile 4 was 8:35 and may have beaten my 4 mile PR from July 4th.

At last I settled into a more sensible pace and each of miles 5 through 9 were 8:5x. Ran along a shaded street that was still wet from the snow melt and remembered that the Saucony Cohesion shoes lose almost all friction when wet and mile 10 was just over 9 minutes. Only 5K to go and I’m going into survival mode - was passed by one of the running group in my AG (he wasn’t juggling as he ran today!) and couldn’t respond. Did catch and pass a local CPA 15 years my junior who I had never beaten in a road race before, which gave me a little boost. Miles 11-13 were each 9:1x. Nothing left for a final spurt but I cross the finish line well inside 2 hours.

Now I did get some advantage from starting at the back as the chip adjustment moved me up three places with all three being people I regularly run with. 😉

Chip time was 1:57:39, so met my ‘B’ target. Subject to late finishers, I was 73/183 OA and 5/8 in M60-69. The AG winner recorded 1:32:30 and 1:52 would have been needed to podium. No finisher medals 🏅 for this race, but a finisher’s running jacket that will be very useful should we ever get another cold day. Improved my HM PR by 99 seconds.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Nice running, Quick.  That's pretty much what i'm hoping for in March for my next half.  pretty well trained if you managed that much over goal pace for so long without blowing up.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.