Masters Running

Tue Feb 12 Runs and Such (Read 600 times)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I went very slowly, because it was so icy, but I made it 5.1 miles in 1:01:11. EXACTLY 12 minute pace! In fact, I happened to look down at my Garmin at the point at which it read 5.00 miles and 1:00:00! That's never happened before. At least now 12 minutes per mile FEELS slow, lol. 8-12 inches of snow predicted through tomorrow, so it's back to the treadmill tomorrow, I think. Blech.
      We have ended up with some rain and temperatures at freezing. This makes for a slippery ride home for the work people. At least the rain will put a stop to several wild fires that started up during the high winds of Sunday. The only thing running around here are politicians. This weather may dampen the spirits of a few voters who planned to go to the polls after work. Thus, I am declaring this a "rest" day for me for running.
      Vista
        Survived a run on Sunday in the wind tunnel without Dorothy, Toto, and the house falling on my head. Good thing I wasn't wearing those ruby slippers. Smile Early dismissal today. Since it had barely started to snow and it was SUNNY while I was driving home, it really made me think we're a bunch of wimps around here, but it was nice to get the afternoon off without having to make up the day. It felt even better to be out running at the time I'd usually be with my largest class of 5th graders - 29, count 'em, 29, plus 2 adult one-on-one aides and me. Running in the snow was definitely a gift this afternoon. Smile Only did 3 miles, as I'm starting to break in my new orthotics (or am I really breaking in my feet?) and am a little sore from wearing them this morning. perch - nice pic. It's cool how both Dave's pants and the puppy's eyes are reflective. Smile CNY - I've been grousing about how "my vote doesn't count" since the PA primary is so late. Thanks for the reminder that it hasn't been that many years since I wouldn't have even been allowed to vote. Sound - wow, you really had to work to do the right thing with the lost wallet. Hope the guy appreciates it. Teresa - 5:00 and 1:00:00 on your Garmin at the same time sounds really cool. I love when things like that happen. You're doing great, girl. Hope you don't abandon us mere mortals over in newbie land. Good runs, all Eliz Smile

flomotioncoaching.com

jules2

Mustang Sally, your heart rates are identical to mine apart from if I hit 190 I'd have blood coming out my ears, whats your resting heart rate?

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

wildchild

Carolyn

twocat, I like your suggestion about finding a male conspirator to get my DH to ski! It's worth a try! Of course, on Sunday our group included 3 guys - one cousin and two cousins-in-law - but maybe family isn't perceived as competition. I got out for a 5.2 mile run at lunchtime on a dirt trail near the office, at 10:19 average pace. 45 degrees and NOT windy! YAY! It's supposed to be in the 50's tomorrow, then snow again on Thursday, so I'll try to enjoy the warm weather while it lasts.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Soundrunner amazing story. When I was in my early 20's I was a semi professional beach volleyball player. I played in a tournament on the Jersey Shore and the night before lost my wallet acting foolish on the boardwalk after the players' party that night. Apparently someone found my wallet, called the number based on the address (my parents who I hadn't lived with in a couple years), they had no idea I was in Jersey but called a friend who called another friend who found out what hotel I was at. The person who found it reached me at my hotel and dropped it off 10 minutes later. Nothing touched, all $300 still in the wallet. Sometimes the kindness of strangers is amazing. For the regular stuff, another day another run (and very happy for it). 4 very easy recovery miles today.
                happy tuesday everyone!! i waited until it warmed upto 26 degrees before heading out for my run this afternoon and i actually felt slightly overdressed this time - oh well, it was better than being cold the first mile or so 7.8 miles in 1:16 for an avg pace of 9:47

denise

Perch – thanks for the picture of 2 handsome Boomers to start me off with a smile. I expect BOTH of you looked like you were flying along effortlessly. I don’t know about Tory, though, he looks a little scary in that photo….Have you had him checked for demons? Big grin
                  I'll second what Holly said. Nice 4 miler I squeezed in today at 2:30pm. Just as I went out, the rain started and the winds picked up, but it was 48 F, and I wore SHORTS again. As always, I did the first mile too fast, trying to generate some heat quickly. mile splits 9:09 9:46 10:32 9:11 As you can see I kept changing my mind about what type of run this was supposed to be. First mile felt so easy, but I knew it would catch up to me. Dead Third mile I reminded myself this is an "easy" run, then last mile I wanted to hit a 9:30 pace to teach my body what that feels like, but then I went to fast again. Wish I could just stick to a plan. Undecided Garmin elevation was way off, said I climbed 130 ft more during the run than descended, when in fact I started and stopped at same spot more or less. Erika, I wish I could see your tiny elevation numbers on that graph!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

TammyinGP

Soundie - I still bank at BECU, even though I left Seattle over 7 yrs ago. I love them! It's worth it to me to bank long distance. I'm glad you found that wallet and took the time to get it someplace safe. With ID theft on the rampage, it would have been so easy for that to fall in the wrong hands and have that poor person deal with ID theft for years to come. I got in a nice run this a.m. 6 miles on the TM. After I dropped my son off at school, I had about 2 hrs before I had to report for grand jury duty, so took advantage of that time to get in a workout. Nice pic of a couple of glowing handsome men. It's always nice when boomers can travel and get together with online running friends. have a good evening everyone.

Tammy

Tammy, I got the Seafair Marathon/Half brochure yesterday. Do you want me to mail it to you? New route this year over the 520 bridge. Enke

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

TammyinGP

Enke - Thanks for the offer. I bet Eugene will have a brochure at their Expo and I can always grab one there. I'm hoping by then, we'll know if that is the time when we are tentatively planning on a trip up to Seattle for my husband's (car) racing schedule. I'm excited - Eugene is coming up quick! I can't believe it's already mid February. I'm very anxious to meet you Enke! And I'm still keeping the 'room share' option opened that we sort of discussed as a possibility (that is if it's still a possibility for you - we can always discuss this in more detail via PM at KR too). My friend, Amy, who lives in GP here says she'd like to come up for the HM (and would share my room), but I just have a feeling, that won't come to fruition. She is training for a triathlon with a group from her work and I get the impression that is priority with her right now so when it comes right down to it, I doubt she'll do Eugene also.

Tammy

bap

5.6 miles in 3-4 inches of "virgin" snow (the New York definition of virgin being a bit smutty) along the Hudson to the 42nd St Circle Line terminal and back. 10:00 minute pace (127 bpm).

Certified Running Coach
                          Crocked since 2013

Does anyone know how accurate the Garmin 305 heart monitor is? I can get mine up to 200 bpm at the end of a progression run...
                            Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                            bap

Does anyone know how accurate the Garmin 305 heart monitor is? I can get mine up to 200 bpm at the end of a progression run...
                              I've only had problems at the start of a run. That's high.

Certified Running Coach
                              Crocked since 2013

Marathon Maniac #957

5.6 miles in 3-4 inches of "virgin" snow (the New York definition of virgin being a bit smutty)
                                Big grin

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."