Masters Running

Sunday the 9th runs (Read 524 times)

spacityrunner

Oh what a difference a day makes. Not only did we lose an hour, but here in DC we lost about 40 degrees too. Woke up this morning to 28F. Far cry from the 60+ degrees we had yesterday!!! Personally, I would like both of these items to be returned. In honor of DST, I did one hour in the pool today. The spent 30 min on the crystal park tri. I then went to my fav LRS and they got the crowbar out and pried a little over a hundred $$$ out of my shut tight wallet. I chatted the shoe guy up to death about my PF, my shoe history, and what I think about this whole deal. I give him props as he never ever once rolled his eyes at me Big grin We had a very lengthy discussion about the neutral, motion, and stability shoes. He watched me walk, and then run. Verdict...I am a neutral runner who places her feet almost in front of one another upon landing. I have a medium arch and I don't need motion control shoes. I am now the proud owner of Miizuno Wave Riders 11 and blue superfeet inserts. I also have a 14 day return policy. I then went to Whole foods and true to nature purchased way to much for the anticipated lugging home on the metro. My arms feel as tho they are 2" longer and I can easily say I did 30 min of walking with weights. This and losing an hour has made me very, very sleepy now. Mr. Ribs, I can't even imagine flying so much that I would get that many miles. Yikes!!! First class to London is not a bad perk tho. Good runs and good night

Trails Rock!

A successful day ... 6 miles on the treadmill at altitude (9600+ feet - huff and puff). Then a full day of skiing. Great snow, nice weather, everyone skied pretty well - not too rusty. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

munchkn883

3 miles around Duke Trail for me this morning. Weather was nice and cool. Not able to read all the posts, but will come back this evening and enjoy them!

King of PhotoShop

Chris, regarding your "crash and burn" sometimes that's a good workout, because irrespective of the miles you get in, you did work to the exhaust point, whatever that happened to be, and there is a training benefit to it. Be optimistic. For anyone who lives in the Detroit area, the North American Bridge Championships (NABC) are going on now until March 16th. To balance all this physical activity, you might just go have a look. They will have thousands of tables in play for people of all abilities. It is truly a wonderful game. Good news about enke and the PR. Love to see that report. Tet, I'll be on Bainbridge Island this week, but I am in and out I now see. I hope to catch you on one of these upcoming trips to seattle. I hope you were able to convince Soundie not to overdo it today. I'm also excited to hear how Tim did. That bum is always slow to write his RR, so he'll make us wait. I will say that like Breger and some of you others, Tim is very methodical in his training, and as he was disappointed in his last half, I have been eager for him to have a breakthrough run. Good going Tim. Of course nothing beats a long run with a lot of salsa dancing. Is that your training formula Mari? Spareribs

Renee the dog

Just got back from a 4 miler. First two miles was really a drag -- literally. Don't know what was up with my dog, but she was on fire and pulling me along like crazy. It was uncomfortable with the dragging and high cold winds -- I couldn't get my feet under me. The 2nd half of the run was much better, but then, probably anything would be. Wink Relaxing now with a little bit of rum and water and waiting for my turn to shower. It was fun to pop in here and read first before heading out. Lots of great stuff going on here today! I'm particularly envious of the skiing!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

pfriese

Afternoon all, I was very disappointed that I was unable to run the 25K race with evryday and way5om (Tim) yesterday. You're right twocat, there aren't many 25K races around. Since I was unable to run yesterday, I decided to do a nice long slow easy run. 19.7 miles in a little under 3 hours and 30 minutes. Everyone have a great week, Paul
              btb1490

Sarge- very nice that you and your wife are both able to share this passion of running, and how cool of you to be helping her get ready for her race. So what was the aftermath of the race you put on? I'll bet all reviews were positive. fbgrrl- welcome to triple digits! A great day for you, a run followed by a bike, good to hear you are able to get this in with your work schedule. Cmom- what brought on that blister? Something change recently? What a sight those balloons must have been. I just stare and gape at them when I see them. Were you close enough to hear their flame thing roaring on and off? halllar- give that calf a good massage and stretch tonight. I see you are working on what comfortable feels lile. Keep it up. rochrunner- cool new toy you have there! I agree with you on the mouse thing, for any extensive work I like the external one better. I apologize, I never commented on your story about finding the cell phone on your run. I think you did the right thing by picking it up, the owner should've been very thankful you did that. Good luck with your run tomorrow. CNY- there you are. Busy busy busy! But good stuff. I was thinking about YOU today with your long run, the wind was amazing. A good character builder run. Now wonder you are feeling tired! Congrat to your son on scoring a goal after getting slammed! Oooh, have fun at the museum of science, that is a very cool place. You gonna run the Charles while you are there? Craneium- your training has been going well, you should reward yourself with a race. Thanks for the nice things you said, and I did what you suggested and my tongue cramped up. PDR- good character builder run for you today! You earned your brunch. Be careful please about introducing weights into your program at this point. 6 weeks before your goal marathon is usually not a good time to start doing something new. If anything, work on the core and stick to that, in moderation. Holly- when that snow and ice clears, you are gonna FLY on clear roads after being used to running on what the snow and ice. All this stuff you've been dealing with is only making you stronger. Including the sled pulling! Smile enke- WOOHOO!!!! Can't wait to hear all about it! You've worked hard for that PR! charleygross- amazing how much things like not eating properly effect our workouts. You always have to be diligent. I liked your attitude about it. Carry on. Tammy- Ahh, now it makes sense why the turnout was so light for your run. I knew it couldn't be you! Smile If you do your upcoming long run before you seminar... good luck staying awake! wildchild- even when you get your car back, you may end up sticking to the walking. Good bonding time! There must be something in the air today making dogs everywhere go nuts. runningindc- Yep, the difference in temps between yesterday and today was amazing, wasn't it. Great post from you today, thanks! Good luck with the shoes! I really am hoping they are the answer to your ailments. And you can never purchase too much from WHole Foods! Great place! Breger- You are gonna come back from your vacation like an animal! nonoruns- what's going on in Colorado with the dogs today? Rum and water? WHat training program are you on? I want in on it! pfriese- it's always a bummer to have to scratch a race, especially when meeting up with people, but you sure made the best of plan B! Spent a better part of the afternoon spending too much at Costco. It doesn't take much to ring up a $230 bill! I can survive without leaving the house for months now at least. It's good to see springtime stuff like patio furniture, bbq's and lawn care items on the shelves finally. Enjoy what's left of the weekend! Where are those half marathon reports?
                  Bob thanks for the short version of the posts. My race turned out very well, numbers were down a little but the weather and flu epidemic had something to do with that I think. Anyway 320 did the half and 177 the 5k for a total of 497 runners (522 registered) the weather was dry and 22F with no wind. The park did a fantastic job of plowing the roads, we paid OT to have them plow 5 miles of closed roads that aren't maintained in the winter. The course was in very good condition Big grin We had lots of extra fruit and cookies, the local soup kitchen loved my delivery the next morning. Heard no complaints except for a couple of chip failures but we got that corrected, so everyone happy. We get a lot come down from Cleveland who aren't use to these hills so we hear a variety of comments about that. So I guess I'll be race director again next year. Shocked Results can be seen on the Youngstown Road Runners web. Big grin Thanks for asking.

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Tet, thanks for pumping up the hills, but I think that was the flattest Half I have ever run. I kept thinking, this is nothing compared to Whidbey Island. Wink Btw, it is coming up in 5 weeks and I was thinking of doing it as part of a 20 miler. btb - I love your posts because I can always count on picking up some tidbits I missed about certain folks.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Teresadfp

One day at a time

After my wonderful 8-mile run on Thursday, I struggled through 3 miles on Friday, got sick as a dog on Saturday (lost 3 pounds, whoo hoo), and managed to eke out 3.7 miles today. I was bummed out not to run yesterday, but I could hardly managed to turn over in bed, so I knew it was hopeless. At least it was a short illness! Hoping everyone has a wonderful week of running! Teresa
                      Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

I ran the Mercer Island Half Marathon this morning and very briefly saw Tet before the start sadly missing, though, an introduction to Enke and Krista ! It was my first Half in over 18 months, chip time of 1:46:33 and enough left in me to run another 6.5 miles after my afternoon at work!! Francesca

GreenMan

Way to smoke that 8K, Tramps! Well the workout today confirms it. I have the Vamn DRAA bug. At midnight my ribs were so sore I didn't think I'd get outa bed. IBU to the RESQ ! But I haven't taken any since. Still I waited all morning, partly for some better temps, partly for healing At least it only hurt when I moved or breathed. Smile At about 1pm I thought I'd at least go through the motions and stop if I couldn't stand it. I had 14 scheduled. After a complex carby breakfast and hummus w/sprouts sammich for lunch, I biked to town (about 8). Trail was softer, but I didn't hurt as much as I feared. I diddled about at the gym, easily, to get a feel of the limits and maybe loosen up some. Finally, I got up the nerve to run, and made it less than 200ft. Nope it ain't a gonna happen. Spit. Feeling sorry for myself, I started walking. And walking. Heck this ain't too bad. Remembering that S'ribs does some fast walking, maybe I can get in some workout miles before dark. If you plan to run 50 miles I hear you got to learn to walk fast. I made it to mile post 6 at sub 15:00 pace. Took a break and a double Espresso Gel, turned and started walking sub 14:00 pace when the caf-caine kicked in. Ended up with 13.00 miles in 3:05:03 (14:14 pace) There are some problem spots with the Bite Sandals that will have to be addressed. Then I rode home, with the sunset. It was sunny, but never felt above 40. JJJ
                          Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.
                          TammyinGP

Well the workout today confirms it. I have the Vamn DRAA bug. JJJ
                            That Vamn DRAA bug! Wink But you are on my team, so I'm ever so thankful that you took one for the team today. Now I even feel extra guilty about hardly doing doodly squat today and I don't even have an excuse. Here, you were hurting and you still did all that!

Tammy

evanflein

No time to read past page one today... I just saw how late it is and still need to make dinner!! We've been working on our apartment downstairs. Yesterday was a lot of prep work, spackling, wallpaper removal, cleaning, etc. Today was painting: primer and top coat. Feels like I've done 5,000 squats in the last 24 hours. My quads were a bit sore this morning! Finally, initial paint job drying, I got out for my run. 16 miles in 36F, 12 mph wind from the East, which happened to be half my run. I got so overheated yesterday, and it looked so nice out today (when I was painting... clear blue sky and bright sunshine), but by the time I got out it had clouded over and cooled off. I decided (based on yesterday's run) to leave the winter weight top and fleece gloves at home, and instead wore my Carlsbad marathon long-sleeved t and light glove liners. Mistake. I was chilled for all the into-the-wind parts. My wrists and hands got so cold I could hardly shake them out to warm up. Overall, the run, which I wanted to do mostly at MP, was good. But I could've done without the wind... gave me earaches that I'm just now (a couple hours later) getting over. Overall pace for the run was 8:38, so that goal was achieved. DH goes in for some pretty major shoulder surgery tomorrow. We were thinking it was going to be sort of like Ilene's... but the actual story could be open surgery (vs. arthroscopic) due to the extent of the damage. (Mamma's don't let your babies play baseball without thorough warmups and appropriate strength training!!) His throwing arm is toast.