Masters Running

Orthodics: Good or Evil? (Read 455 times)

For those of you who don't know, I'm training for my first marathon - the Twin Cities in October. As I started ramping up my miles, I developed problems with plantar fasciitis in my left foot. Went to a PA in June, got a cortisone shot and a script for some anti-inflammatories and quit running for a week (I know, I know, not long enough).  I did 5 and 10K races without any problems, but as soon as I started to hit 35+ mpw, the pain came back. Today, I went to see a podiatrist who showed me how to tape my foot, gave me a night splint and scheduled me for an appointment to meet with a PT for orthodics.

I've been a member of RA for a long time, and know that there are a lot of you who have had issues with PF. Has anyone had good luck with orthodics? Anyone have horror stories to share? I'd like to get some opinions before I invest a ton of $$$$$ in custom-fit orthodics.

Thoughts, people?

He fixed my teeth real well.....Oh wait......that was an Orthodonist named Dick.

Good luck Jlynne.......these people who know what they are talking about will help you.

Joey

Vista
      evanflein

My podiatrist wanted me to get orthotics for my metatarsalgia, but I said no. I didn't like the idea of artificially supporting my foot that way, and always having to shift the thing from shoe to shoe as I changed pairs... I took all the pads and supports out of my shoes, just have sorbothane cushion insoles in my racing shoes, and my foot has stabilized and is no longer a limiting factor for my running. I've been strengthening my foot by wearing minimalist shoes (sandals, really) but still with a supportive, cushioned sole. (Merrells) I'm not saying orthotics are "evil," but I've always heard they're sort of a one-way deal. Once you use them and adapt to them, you need them all the time going forward. Others may have other opinions, but there's mine.
        HappyFeat

Orthotics cured my PF. I'm a believer. Well worth the price, in my opinion. Been wearing them for 10 years now - the same pair; so if you extend the price out over time - not so costly.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

jtv

Jlynne-

I have been wearing orthotics for over 20 years.  I originally got them to help get rid of PF and they worked great ( I was running 50-60 mpw back then).  I wear them in every shoe that they fit in all day long (not only running).  i have had only an occasional flareup over the years, and wouldn't live w/o them.  I got another pair about 3-4 years ago, and am happy with them also.

As long as the Dr is trustworthy, and treats/knows runners, I would consider them, if other treatment fails.

Erika - I will admit that I can tell when I don't wear them.  Can't go barefoot for long periods of time.

TammyinGP

when I started getting PF, I went to my sports chiro who did some (painful) massage work along the fascia and had me doing various stretches. He also sent me to a podiatrist just to see if he thought I should get orthotics. My podiatrist is also a runner, but surprisingly, he did not recommend orthotics for me. I buy a different insole to put in my shoes (New Balance ones - sort of pricey - about $30 but lasts thru about 3-4 prs of shoes). My podiatrist just did a little bit of in-house customizing to my store-bought insole to make it fit my right foot a bit better (the one I was having PF with). With the massage work my chiro did and the little bit of customizing the podiatrist did, I haven't had a problem since. And I walk around barefoot all the time and it's never bothered me.

so I don't really have an opinion on whether or not orthotics are good or evil. This is just what worked for me.

Tammy

...yep, been wearing 'em since 80s..... (both arches collapsed).......WORTH EVERY PENNY........

drop the bucks,

you'll be glad you did.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Maniac 505

Jlynne:

I use very expensive custom Ortho's for running,  not for anything else.  In my experiance,  if 100 people go to an orthpod,  99 of them well be told they need orthotics, 

on the other hand  if 100 people go to Tetsijun,  130 of them will be told they need nothing but barefoot running

I run in orthos and the really help me, but it was a LONG road to break into them.

good luck

JLynne - I think you're going to get 50/50 responses because of different strokes for different folks.  Take this for what it's worth because I've never had PF:

I used orthotics for years after I severely tore up my left ankle.  A little less than a year ago, I started seeing a MAT therapist for various issues, including IT band problems. After spending a few weeks with him, listening, and asking questions, I became - and am still - convinced that artificially supporting the feet can be a mistake.  I'm not saying it definitely is, but it can be.  I had quit using my custom orthos some time back because I found them to be too hard for running, but had been using Montrail insoles.  (You mold them to your feet via heat and use.)  I no longer use those and have been doing exercises to strength my feet, themselves.

If you want to give orthos a try, think about asking your pod about trying something along the line of the Montrails first to see if you do, indeed, get relief in combination with the stretching and taping (and not running 'til the PF is healed ).  They're a tad pricey at around $30-$40 a pair, but a heck of a lot less expensive than custom orthos.  I had a set for each pair of running shoes and changed them with the shoes.

If you have access to a MAT therapist, I would highly recommend giving that a whirl, as well.  Not only was it a deciding factor in helping my friend get over PF (she did the night stretching and started using Montrails, too), but it make an absolutely remarkable difference in my back and IT band.  I cannot give it high enough praise.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Guess I'll throw my hand in the air in here too....

Orthotics are a type of cast if you will.  If you are injured, support during healing makes sense. You wouldn't necessarily consider training on a broken foot would you? (nobody who knows me better be reading this part!)   Also, if you must keep training, I would use support where necessary - you'll know!   PF is the irritation of the plantar (bottom) facia or connective tissue of the foot. it is very a-vascular therefore takes quite a while - months! to properly heal. If you keep running on it unsupported, you will create a chronic injury!!  That said - once you are well healed up, it is always best to wean yourself off of the "cast" by utilizing strength training (Leslie's MAT is one option, I think a good PT will give you others) for both your foot & lower leg muscles - which play an integral part in the whole mess....If you never wean yourself off of the cast, your foot & connective tissue will atrophy or weaken & then you won't be able to function without the orthotic, even for everday shoe wear. ....  I've never met a podiatrist who will not universally sell you an orthotic - they kinda get paid to!   In some instances, they are a valuable piece of rehab equipment, but I think a lot more folks than truly need them get sold them.

So, I would say they're not evil, just overused - kinda like NSAIDS, etc.

mta:  btw, I don't believe that I know any barefooters who suffer from PF & I tend to be a minimalist (shoes) as much as possible

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                      coastwalker

I've worn orthotics for many years, not because of PF, but because I have lousy natural arch support. I've gradually gotten more minimalist every time I've had to replace a pair of worn orthotics, and I don't seem to be suffering from those changes. Now, I only wear my orthotics when working out or racing: I don't wear them in my 'regular' shoes, and I go without shoes at home as much as possible. My feet are holding up just fine. I can't say if my feet have gotten stronger, of if my need for orthotics wasn't all that great in the first place.

Yes, everybody and every situation is different. But I wouldn't automatically assume that once you start wearing orthotics, that it is forever. If you do start with orthotics, I would recommend as minimal a pair as you can get. They can always be built up if you need more support.

Good luck with your PF, and in your marathon!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

I have had PF and I use orthotics. I do not use custom orthotics but ones from the running store. They are blue but I can't remember their name "super feet" or something. They last for 3 to 4 pair of shoes and  cost $25.00.

I started wearing them during a bad PF occurance quite a few years ago. I used to wear them in all my shoes but now only in my running shoes. I am kind of trying to wean myself from them totally but the few attempts at running without them convinced me I still need them. I am not willing to risk injury in order to get rid of them totally I guess.

I think most people here have gone through this at some point in their running careers. I have to say that  the taping, stretching, night splints , ice, orthotics ,IBU ,Roller ball , they all have their benifits. Sadly though Time is what will heal your PF. One week off will probably not do it. You are re-enflaming (is that a  word)  the Plantar every time you run. Also after some time off a slow build up is required so that you do not re-injure yourself. I am an expert at coming back to soon and to hard. My injury list can confirm this. I am currently on the comeback trail from stress fractures over the winter. I had to scrap my spring marathon (Bayshore). I am trying to come back slooowwwwly which is hard because I want to race and I want to run a fall marathon. Hopefully if I am a good little runner I can do a early winter marathon.

Some of these things we can not  train through. IMHO

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

BlazinCajun

Jlynne,

My arch collapsed in 2006 and I had some custom orthotics made for both feet. Developed an intense pain behind my knee and pretty much stopped running until February 2009. Started back running slow miles with the orthotics up to 10 miles/week. Mixed in some barefoot jogging and started going barefoot around the house as much as possible. After about six months I've weaned myself from wearing the orthotics and haven't used them since. They did their job long enough for me to run in neutral arch support shoes which I currently run in. I still mix in some barefoot running but no more than one-half a mile at a time. Overuse injuries are very common so I would take things very slow.

Andrew

Andrew
                            ------------------
                            God, my Lord, is my strength;
                            he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
                            and enables me to go upon the heights.
                            Hb 3:19

lamerunner

It is an individual thing; much depends on the injury and your foot. I got them years ago to deal with the foot issues I had from arthritis and did not wear them long.  They were stiff and not that helpful. More recently, I got a pair of custom orthotics after very severe post-tibial tendonisits. They are soft and provide some support where my foot/arch is naturrally weak.   I have found them very helpful and I would not run far without them. Once your injury stabilizes, there may be exercises you can do ( PT-type things) that also help, but i think chronic foot injuries often result from issues with foot structure, and that is pretty hard to change.
                              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

If you have PF you need to strengthen your foot.  Wear orthotics when you run and maybe even a strassborg sock when you sleep, but this is vital: spend as much time barefoot or in minimalist shoes as you can.  Even jog around some barefoot.  Over time this will give your intrinsic foot muscles strength.  Orthotics are a bandaid.  Foot muscles are the cure.