Masters Running

Saturday May 7 Daily (Read 34 times)

I got around to reading the article in the WSJ that coastwalker linked to yesterday. A lot of speculation as to why participation in racing is declining. <Start sermon> One issue that I think the article spent hardly any time on is the ever increasing regulatory thicket RDs have to go through to put on a race. Hearing about Mariposai's ordeals when getting her Orchards in Bloom race all cleared by the local authorities to go made me wonder why anybody agrees to put on a race, unpaid. Not only were there new demands this year relative to last, some came at the last minute. While no one bit of bureaucratic nonsense is a deal breaker the collection is totally unreasonable. Worse, the time an RD spends on paperwork is time the RD does not spend on publicity or other means to encourage greater participation in the race. Even when you run a race for profit things can get out of hand. The Competitor Group threw in the towel on the Denver marathon because the local authorities made life so difficult for them.  You cannot get people to participate in races that either never happen or that no one has the time to publicize to casual runners. <End sermon>

About running. I went off for 5 miles today. My leg felt pretty good during the run. After still some stiffness in the lower leg.  Man I sure hope that stops and soon. Doctor's appointment in 13 days in case it does not. In a bit of good news, I saw a friend of mine out running a couple of miles. He has been laid up with a serious leg break for about 2 months I think. He was out doing 2 miles and looked pretty happy to be out on the road again.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

spinach

A good race today, the Lake Minnewaska Half Marathon. It was a good day for the old folk, five of the first nine finishers were all over 50. We don't see that very often.  I was third in the the 56 and up age group with a slow time of 1:34:20. The problem was that for most of the race I ran by myself without any one else in view so I eased down to a comfortable pace.  There also was a pretty strong wind and the rotue had very few protected areas from the wind.  but I am happy with the results and I was able to run without any foot problems.  I just hope this continues.

Marathon Maniac #957

It was a good day for the old folk, five of the first nine finishers were all over 50.

From what I see here, Minnesota has some pretty darn fast folks over 50.  Nice racing, even if it is slow to your mind.

Twocat - you make a good point.  RDs are darn near saints in my book.

Several hours of yard work and garden center shopping today, wherein I put yard cloth down and fenced in my garden and piled rock around the outside of the fence and planted peppers and tomatoes.  Plus cooking a big breakfast for DH and DS.  Now it's time for sheet-changing and laundry and sweeping and dishes, and then dinner preparation and clean up, followed by a trip to the grocery store and maybe if I have time I will plant the annuals I bought at the garden center.  I wanted to squeeze in most of my running today, so that tomorrow I could do a LR and then relax.

4.3 miles for me today in 49 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Yeah, Spinach's "slow" time would be a lifetime PR for me. Nice racing there, for the old folks.

Holly, your day sounds exhausting. Although I have laundry and vacuuming on tap for later today too. You're way ahead of us on the garden/yard work front. I'm hoping to get the garden rototilled this week sometime, but it'll probably be next weekend.

Yes, the life of a RD is definitely not easy. I am not cut out for that kind of work and as long as people like me realize that ahead of time, everyone is better off! I really appreciate a well run race, and know a lot of what it takes to make it happen. Thanks to all the hard working RDs out there that make it possible for us to pursue our hobby!

Ran the Chena River Run 5k today. Interestingly, my time was almost exactly the same as 2014's race. Last year we missed a turn so the course was about a quarter mile short, so I don't compare that year with anything. But I have a few of these with a 22:52 type time. That must be my "sweet spot" for a 5k, sort of like the 3:45 marathon. Does anyone else have a regular or "typical" time for certain distances? I guess I should be happy that I'm not slowing down much with age, but I'm definitely not improving. Then again, what could I do if I actually trained for this distance? Ha, I guess we'll never know.

Where is everybody?  Nice half, spinach.  Holly, I got tired reading about all you've done today.  evan, good job in your 5K.

It was a good morning for running.  The temperature was in the mid 50s and it was almost calm.  I got in 5 miles at a 10:53 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Nice job spinach!  Congratulations.

You, too, Erika...how did that time place you?  No sweet spot for me...just getting slower.

I was pushed into being a race director for a church fundraising 5k.  I was not very good at it.  We only did it 2 or 3 years.  Those of us, who just run races, are very fortunate to have people who are good at pulling off a good race.

After mowing the lawn, I ran 8 miles.

I woke up at 5 am and couldn't get back to sleep, so I got up and started the day...I don't think I'd have any problem going to sleep, right now.

Okay--that's all I got.  See ya!

TammyinGP

I woke up at 5 a.m. also Mike - but that's because David had to be up then and to the school by 5:45 for a long distance tennis match. I would have liked to have gone back to sleep and I think I dozed for about an hour, which I shouldn't have done because then you just feel worse.

But got up at 7 a.m., left for my race. a mountain trail run with either 5K or 10 mile option. Very warm today. About mid 60's to start but heated up to low 70's quickly. The 10 mile earns its name "Tough as Nails". the 5k isn't all that bad. I finished in 30: and change. guess which one I did?  Earned 3rd and a bronze nail - the signature trophy for the "tough as nails" race.

David won his last tennis match also and played #2 singles so he was happy about that. This was the last tennis match and then they have districts on Monday.  Seems like he just started.

Hope you can be back to your regular running soon TwoCat, with no problems.

great HM, spinach!

you got a nice start on your garden Holly! I actually picked some of my first produce today - lettuce and spinach. ahhh, it'll be so nice to have spinach that doesn't go bad in 3 days like the store bought stuff does.

speedy 5K Evanflein.  Since I have switched over and seem to be doing more trail runs these days, my times have definitely slipped off my former PR's. although even if I was running more road races and doing more training runs on roads, I'm still not sure I could attain my previous PR's, even though almost all them were set only about 5 -6 yrs ago.

nice 5 miles tom. That temp sounds nice to me too.

I'm sure you were a great RD Mike. You seem to shortchange yourself and I'm sure all involved appreciated all you did.

Tammy

SteveP

MileE, in our area, there may be 5K overload. Some longstanding, friendly events are tossing in the towel.

Nice half Spinach.

Holly, reading what you get done in a day is exhausting.

Down in FL hoping to help Dad rehab after a getting his colon rerouted. I wanted to go on a family leave thing. DW reminded me of a work commitment I hired on for. I'll be heading home the 16th. I don't want to leave until he's driving again. We're talking about frustration issues. The last two mornings, I've gotten him out to hang out with his cronies. The 2nd day was easier than the first.

I got got up early and put in a joyous 3.5 before the fella got up. It was a bit warmer than when I left MI.

SteveP

Got a 3 mile run into a very busy pre-race day ... ran around picking up donations from local businesses for the post-race brunch. All good fun.

Congrats to Tammy, Erikay, and Spinach on some nice racing!

We have a number of 5Ks here - it is really nice to roll out of bed and on to the course.

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

mrrun

Nice racing today - and some good runs, planting, helping RD's etc.

No running for me, instead spent lots of quality time with GC.  GD1 was in dance competition and we were there as were others.  mta: they got first place for their age group.  Doting Bubby

Marathon Maniac #957

We have a number of 5Ks here - it is really nice to roll out of bed and on to the course.

I'm not sure I would like all those runners trampling through my bedroom like that....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Seven mile round trip rainy, cold, windy otherwise miserable Saturday morning hike with a half dozen other now septegenarian ski team members from those days before afternoon services and gathering in the high school commons honor of our recently-passed 93-yo high school ski coach.
                          It was raining, windy and cold for the three-and-a-half mile trek up (and then again back down) to the rope-tow ski area just like it was more-often-than-not the case during our respective four years on the high school team in those days when our ski coach, eschewed us riding “Oola” the snow-cat or ski-joring behind her we loved to do in the days before the Forest Service built a road all the way up.  It didn’t matter though as a half dozen septegenarians braved the elements in his honor before afternoon services in the high school commons.  Kind of like some loving the HHH in their ares that could defeat the whiners on other teams but not us, we all jointly realized that persevering over the elements kind of like the gold miners of '98 did in their day, was a lesson for the rest of our lives that we could overcome weather that nature might throw at us, or anything else in our way the rest of our lives.  We all agreed it seemed to have worked.  Thanks coach.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)