Masters Running

Saturday! 10.8.16 (Read 36 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Good run/walk, Dave. I'm glad you're being patient while you readjust.

I see Mike arrived safely. I'm glad he loves flying.

Hi Twocat.

Congrats on hitting the new milestones, Ribs! I'm glad you recognize and celebrate them!

Stop bouncing and get going, Enke! Portland awaits you.

Nice 10K yesterday, Aamos. Have fun if you decide to play Cops & Robbers on the bridge in the dark this evening.

Nice snack to get ready for Mike, Holly. Yep - it's always 5:00 somewhere! It's good to know you Ubered well.

Sounds like great weather and great company for your 7-miler, WC. Hard to believe there is snow already.

Funny guy and good eye, Stumpy.

Have a great run in Chicago, PBJ!

Sorry, Sox supporters. It's getting a little scary...

After 2 days off, I finally got back on track this morning, and headed out at the usual time for a walk. Then I met the newspaper delivery guy about a half mile from home, and he gave me a copy of the weekend WSJ. You just can't racewalk carrying a newspaper, so I ran back home, left it in the mailbox, and headed off in a different direction for the rest of my workout. It always takes me a while to get my rhythm back after a day or two off, and this time was no different, and the first couple o' miles felt like warm-up.Then I did OK from there on.  But I kept it short (4.4 mi) because I have a 5K tomorrow. Today, DW and I are going to our fave dive for breakfast, then the farmer's market, TJ's, last (maybe) lawn mow, bake a cake...

Lotta' racing going on all over the country this weekend! I wish everyone fleet feet, big grins, and tail winds. And lets see some pics from this weekend's meet-ups too!

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

Good morning. I'm taking the day off running. I'm in the front porch reading on my Kindle and drinking coffee. There is a light rain hitting me but the forecast says there is a zero percent chance of rain today so I refuse to move out of the rain. It can not be happening.

mta: I finally had to give in to the reality of nature and move to the garage and out of the rain.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Hi Jay!

Hi Dave!

Did I imagine it or did PBJ check in yesterday and tell us he is running Chicago tomorrow?  If I did not imagine it:  A Hearty Hello to my old friend PBJ!  I was just thinking about the PBJsters and the long suffering MrsPBJ as I wandered around CW the other day. I hope all are well.

This morning, Ralph and I walked King Leonidas to the river and back. It was raining but, a dog needs a walk.

We thought we were going to dodge the storm but, it looks like we'll be getting a bit of a tropical storm later. Nuts.

By the way. I got my flu shot yesterday. Have you received your flu shot yet?  The life you save may not be your own.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Henrun

9 days to go and counting. I decided to give my old knee a last workout and trotted around the local reservoir- faster than I've done in many months and even worked up a sweat (another rarity). Tomorrow I'll be spectating in NH as Marj and her DD, DGD and DGS run their 5 K.

Heard good results from Hartford.

Sayhey! MM#130

Good morning!  And good for you Henry.  You know we're all with you and will be looking forward to an excellent rehab.

I haven't seen any race news: must go find some.

love that droll observation, Dave......

hey Rosie- finished Run and reading The Boston Girl  by Anita Diamant.

Just 8 this am.  Slept to 6:30 and dallied.  Made a plum claflouti.

DH called; his cycle buddy fainted after their ride.  He's now debating with the EMTs about going in for an IV.  I was called upon to vote and of course sided with DH and the med folks.

Good Saturday to you!

grins

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Sayhey! MM#130

Erika ran a 3:49 at Hartford.

evanflein's time! Wow! Good weather here in CT for the race.

Dave59 reality sucks. 

I ran 20 today with 7 at (wished for) marathon pace. It felt easier than I thought it would. Not easy. Just easier as I had expected to feel like I was about to die after say 4 miles. But that never happened.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Hey folks! A busy weekend for y'all, and thanks for posting Erika's time Aamos. I saw Peter's FB pictures but she was only 15 miles in at that point.

Glad you got a nice run in Henry. Isn't that the way it always goes? One week out from surgery and now you're probably thinking "hmmm...maybe I can cancel this". Think of how strong you're going to be once you get through this.  Good luck to Marj and the crew on their race.

And that's pretty frightening about your DH's friend Aamos. I hope he's ok now!

Sounds like a busy day Jay. You could have multi-tasked while you ran this morning and read the WSJ at the same time

Waiting for some reports and pictures from the Portland runners....

I ran the first leg of a half marathon relay this morning. It was 36° with 15-20 mph winds in our face for the full 6.2 miles. After freezing last weekend, I didn't need this today! But I finished in under an hour and handed off to my partner who did her leg in 1:20. No prizes, but the finish had some great stuff - fruit, wraps, chocolate, non-alcoholic champagne, brownies and strawberry cheesecake. Tonight the race sponsors have planned a dance party and celebration on our City Deck. Too bad it's supposed to be 34° and no signs of the wind dying down any time soon. Think I'll stay home and watch college football or baseball under a blanket!

wildchild

Carolyn

Nice racing for Erika and Jeanne!  Can't wait to hear how everyone else did!

I also raced this morning:  an 8.4 mile trail race sponsored by the Colorado Masters Running and Racewalking Assn.  It was sunny, cool at the start, and warm by the end.  I saw a lot of friends, and won my AG (out of 2). These are really fun, low key races.  $10 entry, and no tee shirts, no chip timing, no swag, good raffle prizes, and only day of race registration.

I started the race running with a friend named Bill, who said he just turned 75 and liked this new AG better than the 70-74, since there are some fast Masters in that AG. I love how the 70s AGs are still competitive around here!  I got ahead of him after a few miles, but he was within sight behind me the whole way.  There are 6 stream crossings (not deep this year - maybe mid-calf), and Bill runs right though them.  Most folks, myself included, slow down to a walk.  Well, he almost caught me on the way back at the last stream crossing, but I sprinted for the finish and he didn't catch me!  Yay me - I beat a 75 year old! 

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

spacityrunner

I think this is the race I did with you and Lori a couple of years ago. I recall the water crossings 😂  Maybe next year I can join you. It's a great little race!

Nice racing for Erika and Jeanne!  Can't wait to hear how everyone else did!

I also raced this morning:  an 8.4 mile trail race sponsored by the Colorado Masters Running and Racewalking Assn.  It was sunny, cool at the start, and warm by the end.  I saw a lot of friends, and won my AG (out of 2). These are really fun, low key races.  $10 entry, and no tee shirts, no chip timing, no swag, good raffle prizes, and only day of race registration.

I started the race running with a friend named Bill, who said he just turned 75 and liked this new AG better than the 70-74, since there are some fast Masters in that AG. I love how the 70s AGs are still competitive around here!  I got ahead of him after a few miles, but he was within sight behind me the whole way.  There are 6 stream crossings (not deep this year - maybe mid-calf), and Bill runs right though them.  Most folks, myself included, slow down to a walk.  Well, he almost caught me on the way back at the last stream crossing, but I sprinted for the finish and he didn't catch me!  Yay me - I beat a 75 year old! 

Trails Rock!

wildchild

Carolyn

Hi Liz!  Yes, this is the race we did together!  I asked Lori if she could come today, but she was doing something with EB. Come next year!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

So how many people ran in the Hartford race today? This news article at http://wtnh.com/2016/10/08/thousands-run-hartford-marathon/ says, "About 12,000 of them to be exact."  About and exact do not belong in the same sentence here! I cannot believe people like this write for a living? Where is the copy editor?

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

Erika and Carolyn, great racing!

well, tomorrow's forecast now says 100% chance of rain for the entire day, mid 50's.  Not a good day to be out there for 7 or 8 hours,  And I did not dress for cold rain....  And there is no bag drop at this race!  Except you have the option of paying aa local running store $10 to leave your bag there.  Seriously?    I am hoping that it changes, but at least I brought a rain poncho, so I should be okay, if not fashionable.

Also, this, the most expensive race I have ever registered for, does not give you the shirt unless you finish, so if you get injured and cannot finish, no shirt.  Someone told me they actually order fewer shirts than entries, planning on lots of DNS's and DNF's.  First time I have encountered this.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Sayhey! MM#130

Just need to share: our local hero, Rachel Lee, came out of the swim at the Kona Ironman today in 55th place in her AG in the swim.  After the 112 mile bike ride, she's in 6th.  And the store she owns and operates here is the Run Shoppe......yes, she's running now.

DH's chum is fine AND the ER doc gave him a note to take off THREE days from work.

Party on!