Masters Running

Wednesday, 8.31.16 (Read 30 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone, and good bye, August.

Nice TM 5er and gyros, Lori.

Good 4 plus the motivated extra .5, C-R. Sorry you only had a granola bar.

Good 30 min. on the trainer, Holly. Keep up the good work.

I'm glad the rain held off yesterday, Aamos, but it sounds like you've got a soaker heading your way. Good 7.5. Was it local/state primaries that you voted in yesterday? We have ours coming up in about 2 weeks.

Good time on the bike, Tselbes.

Nice running and biking and digging, Marj. And it sounds like it was a great dinner with the 90 year-old kids. We'd like a little of that rain stuff too - this has been the warmest and driest August on record around here.

Good pool work, TW. Did you scare the baby again, or is she/he getting used to you?

Who needs a car anyway, Tet, especially when you've got GS and swimming and booking and wooly bears?

Great photo, TwoCat - it looks like you and DW are having a blast on Nantucket! But I guess you get what you pay for with those 'free' bikes.

While there are some things I like about summer, H&H are not one (or two) of them. The transition seasons of Spring and Fall are my favorites, and Fall in New England is very tough to beat - it looks, feels, and even smells great.

I got out in the dark this morning for 7.25 RW miles to close out the month. It was 68F with 90% humidity and just a kiss of a breeze. It took me a while to build up a head of steam (not that I was rushing it), but I got a little faster each mile and was in a pretty good gear for the last couple of miles +.

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

I don't know why but I took it to the tm again. Today's required 10 turned into 8.1 miles which is 2 short of what I was supposed to do BUT 8 miles more than I felt like doing. LOL.

I am rebounding mentally where running is concerned. It may be too late for this race (with regard to a PR) BUT watch what I will do next year.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Marathon Maniac #957

I staying on the bike trainer again today, 50 minutes while watching Masterpiece Mystery: Endeavor III.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Hey bertha, great idea to train for 24-hour run (I presume trail?) on a TM.
          After all, Christine_Clark from a little south of erika-land trained on a TM

to set consecutive marathon PR's in the 2000 Olympic Trials and Olympics .
          Good luck.
          Two miles on the out-and-back to GS’s school and,

on subsequent walk with DD along the river,

spotted a fisher feasting on a bear kill.

ps - what’s up with NPR thinking listeners might want and to sit around twiddling their thumbs

for the duration of their new and interminable 30-second to minute-and-a-half musical

interludes too many times an hour between segments.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

,,,ok,

I  this one just hit me-

since

Trump is going to Mexico,

if we get a compromise-

they'll still have to get on the bus

but

they'll have to bring a brick

===========

(there's that Impulse Control thing again)

.....but I digress.....

mid-90s here and humid

..50-min HH with 1-lb trekking poles and 2-lb boots

then

40-min poolrun with belt, cf, ris, paw

...................good running guys.........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

My 24 hour race is on a nice little .90 mile loop multi-use path in Cleveland. No it is not boring to run so many loops either because the park is still open to the public and so you can always see something unusual as well as the leaders passing you by often. One year we saw nuns in full habit flying kites. Last time I did it there was a group of boxers training and one dude skipped rope for 20 hours. And he was very good at it too.  I guess he figured if we running freaks could run for 24 hours then he could skip that long.

I can't wait to see how hubby does. This is his first ultra and his training has gone quite well.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya!

Rains not bad yet, but the cloudiness is making me think that I live in the PNW (ooops, just kidding Tammy, tet, Leslie....Econo if yer out there, et. al.)  Rains held off this am and I got in just a scooch over 6 miles, AND it stayed under 80 degrees for the whole entire time!

Fall is great, but I used to feel Holly's sense of impending winter as the leaves turned.  In fact, DH asked for me to take a picture of some yellow leaves when I was in Spearfish earlier this month to remind him of that.

No races this weekend.  Just bridges .  Altho there is a race on Labor Day.   I may eschew it.

Wheeee!!!!!   onward toward the weekend.  I would miss this feeling if I were retired.

grins,

A

Image result for September

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Fall hands down is my favourite season.  I just feel blah in the summer with the heat and humidity, although the longer daylight sure is nice.  In fall, I like that the humidity has gone away, there is a crispness in the air, and I can put on jeans and a fleecie and feel very comfy.  The growing darkness is not as much fun.

Well, super low motivation yesterday and I did not run.  Unemployment pity party, but that picked up today as I now have another strong lead.  So out I went just to run whatever - 4.25 miles, with a few walk breaks.  If I am not enjoying it, I allow myself to walk until it just feels right to run again.  No aches or pains, at least there was that.

On Monday after that 53 mile bike ride the day before, I was really pooped!  Sore throat too, but yesterday I had no excuse.

After weeks of dry weather, it is raining right now.  Like really raining....I like it!  (Twocat avert your eyes!)

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

I needed 5.5 to get to a 100 for the month so that's what I ran. Only ended up with  99.98 somehow ? 🙂🙂

Fall is my second favorite I am like a lizard on a hot rock. I love the heat.

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

wildchild

Carolyn

I ran 6.6 miles around my neighborhood dirt roads to end the month on a prime number!  It was a really sproinky run, too - 11:55 average pace, which is fast for me, on these hills! The net elevation change is about 1,075 feet, and the altitude is all above 9,000 ft.

I love summer!  It's not hot or humid here,  and summertime means I can run trails in the high country, up on the divide.  Fall is pretty nice, too!

Bertha/Lori, your 24-hour run is on a .9 mile loop????   Wow.  I hate short loop races!  I like point to point or big loop races best.  You certainly must have strong mental fortitude to run in a circle for that long!

I'm very excited to be heading to Seattle this weekend for DD's wedding! 

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

wildchild congratulations to your DD!

enkephalin good luck with the job lead. I hope it pans out.

Back to reality. DW and I returned home today. I did get out for a 13 mile run in the morning before we left. Amazingly high dew point though. My clothing was soaked by the time I returned to the hotel. Literally, it looked like I had taken a shower in them. On the plus side, along the way I picked up a couple of nice pictures. The first is of the sun rising above Nantucket and the second of the Skanaty Head lighthouse. If you look carefully you will see the light shining in the picture. I confess. I stopped and stood there until I could get a shot with the light facing the camera. 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mariposai

Howdie dear friends. I sure enjoyed reading the posts tonight.

Twocat, those pictures are just beautiful.

My comments will have to come in tomorrow. I had a long, 12 hours work day, but I did run 10 miles this morning.

Cheers,

Posie

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

Cool pictures, Twocat, love the lighthouse. Welcome home.

Good luck on the new lead, Enke!

A .9 mile loop course would probably drive me insane. I agree, point to point is best or a large loop. Good luck, Lori, that's a big undertaking.

I had a long work day too, although not 12 hours. I refuse to do that anymore. But we had an 8 a.m. health committee meeting that was as contentious as expected, and then a full day of "urgent" interruptions and must do notifications. Got nothing done from my growing pile of "to do" items. Bleh. Plan was to leave a little after 4 to go run, but didn't get out till just after 5. Ran a good 11.1 miles on the Equinox trails and a good reminder of 1) that course is not easy, and 2) I'm really not in the shape I should be by late August. Ufda... a few walk breaks, some stops to rest and de-bug my eyes (gnats!! ick) but overall I'm glad I did it and I think I'll be ok for the actual race. I'll do a 20 miler on the course this weekend (probably Sunday), a short taper (taper from what??) then do the Equinox. It won't be pretty but it'll get done.

SteveP

It won't be pretty but it'll get done.

My motto as of late.

SteveP