Masters Running

Thursday 1/31/19 (Read 42 times)

Joe618

....still playing with My Back,

not as bad, but not better either........

hitting 60s this weekend, guess I'll bide my time

(I've always been good at biding)

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/30/690034103/why-is-it-so-cold-come-warm-up-in-the-answer-vortex

Tom, hang in there with the back...so sorry how long this is hanging on.

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Hang in there, Tom!

An episode of "Returning the Favor" on FB that I watched at lunch, they helped out a guy who started Make a Vet Sweat, a non-profit organization that works to get veterans into the gym for workouts as a way to help combat PTSD.  Looks like a great organization.

Slight Rant On

I asked our soon-to-be-leaving dept secretary to give me the EP files that are done and need the signed EP docs scanned and sent to the clients.  The first one I opened, the client signed in July 2018 and he still hasn't received his documents.

Also, when she brought me the files, she said some of them have already been scanned to her "scan folder," but haven't been named and moved to the client's electronic file. . . . . There are 216 "loose" unnamed scanned documents in her scan folder, as well as 19 folders with who knows how many scanned documents that need to be moved to the respective electronic client files.  Her recommendation was that I look through her scan folder first.  There is such a mess to clean up once she leaves, it's ridiculous.

Rant Off

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Leslie - how does this woman even have a job?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Holly - Because my boss has a big heart.  She already has a job in Portland with attorney she described as "anal" (not in a bad way).  I honestly hope she's able to change her horrible habits or she's not going to last long.

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

bioguy

Good day at school except a number of students are grade grubbing, begging for ways to go from a C to a B. I'm halfway expecting a few parent emails too.

Got in 3; still really cold but at least the wind is down.

Tailwinds!

wildchild

Carolyn

Henrun, congrats on your longest run in 4 years! Love the picture!  Why did you need gloves?

Falcon, I agree with Twocat - I cannot imagine how disturbing a mishap review of anything to do with a fighter aircraft must be.

KSA, congrats on such a good year at your company! You’re lucky you have a job you love.

Leslie, that secretary sounds like she should have been fired a long time ago. Sorry that you have to clean up her mess, but good riddance to her!

Jay, bummer about the snowblower. And Twocat, bummer about the garage door opener and HVAC. I also broke my plow truck today.     I think it's the transmission - it won't shift into any gears, but the engine runs.  It's stuck in our road, because I was plowing when it died, but I managed to shovel a path next to it, so it's not totally blocking the road.  DH is away, but I Skyped with him and he had a few suggestions on what to try.

After lots of shoveling cross training, I ran 7.7 miles to end the month on a prime. 

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Thanks, all. I'm very lucky as far as my job.  In 2011 I was laid off from a job I thought would be my final job and one that I liked a lot (although the commute was getting bad).  I was shocked and it was in the middle of the recession.  I'm very senior and the chances of getting another good job were not great.  Plus- we were building a house and almost lost the financing since I lost my job.  This, despite that I pretty quickly took a contract position at my current employer and had a pretty long severance.  It worked out, and after 10 months of contract work (not fun- reviewing contracts and sitting in a cubicle), I got a permanent position, an office and a good title.  I am sort of a success story for the agency that placed me in the contract position (Counsel on Call) because I was willing to do the work, not bitch (well, I bitched a lot, but not to Counsel on Call or the company) and be patient.  I've been an officer for 2 years now and couldn't be happier.   I could not imagine how things could be OK when I lost the job in 2011, but here I am.

2 treadmill miles after work, so 5.5 for the day and 131 (PRIME) for the month! 

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

4 at EZ 8:34

Mid 60's and calm by the Bay! But a storm rolls in tomorrow. I think we might say goodbye to this year's False Spring now. A few years ago it got up into the 80's in late Jan/early Feb!

Keep grinding away, everyone; work, backs, snow, equipment. My partner and I are going out of town for the weekend, out into the Mojave.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Joe--I saw the same scene in the sky, this morning...although I did not know it was Venus and Jupiter...I did, however, correctly identify the moon.

It warmed up to 5 below, but I still did my 7 miler on the treadmill.

It's kind of embarrassing, but I have my very first hemorrhoid...yes, it's a pain in the a...it hurts!

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

Henrun

Henrun, congrats on your longest run in 4 years! Love the picture!  Why did you need gloves?

Thanks Carolyn. It was high 40’s when we started (Florida cold) but it warmed up quickly and I took them off after .5 miles.

Joe618

Thanks, all. I'm very lucky as far as my job.  In 2011 I was laid off from a job I thought would be my final job and one that I liked a lot (although the commute was getting bad).  I was shocked and it was in the middle of the recession.  I'm very senior and the chances of getting another good job were not great.  Plus- we were building a house and almost lost the financing since I lost my job.  This, despite that I pretty quickly took a contract position at my current employer and had a pretty long severance.  It worked out, and after 10 months of contract work (not fun- reviewing contracts and sitting in a cubicle), I got a permanent position, an office and a good title.  I am sort of a success story for the agency that placed me in the contract position (Counsel on Call) because I was willing to do the work, not bitch (well, I bitched a lot, but not to Counsel on Call or the company) and be patient.  I've been an officer for 2 years now and couldn't be happier.   I could not imagine how things could be OK when I lost the job in 2011, but here I am.

2 treadmill miles after work, so 5.5 for the day and 131 (PRIME) for the month! 

Great story, Karen, thanks for the summary.   A lot of good career-growing principles there.   Well done!!     And PRIME!!

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, quick post.  5+ miles (again) this morning.  Went in to be the punching bag for the operations group (our customers).  Productive two hours that hopefully will go to bringing this entire unit back to what other units are like.

TwoCat/Wildchild, I "grew up" in fighters.  So when I took the mishap class (making me eligible to be a mishap board member) you only work mishaps on aircraft you have at least two years experience with.  For me now (and actually, as a "non-rated" colonel, I'll never be on another one unless it's ridiculously high profile) that would mean the F-16, C-130, KC-135 and A-10.  And the mishaps involving "heavies" are actually much worse (larger crews, greater propensity for more damage to built up areas if over them, etc).  I've received briefings from the last couple of Class A mishaps (loss of life and/or aircraft) involving C-130s.  It's always tough.  Plus I spent three years as a weapons safety officer....read about a lot of crazy/stupid things there.

RunnerKSA, +1 to what Joe said.  I was going to be a smart aleck and say I'd been an officer since 1987.    Oh well, guess I just did.

Have a greta night everyone!

Your a much more important officer than I am, falcon!

Thanks, guys!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Steve - did you do any school, Fourth-of-July races, etc. races in those days?

Good job KSA
                              Good job Henry
                              Not so good, Mike.

Nice 60F, Tom.

Sorry to have missed knowing about the planets

but it was cloudy so I'll go back to looking

for the International Space Station

on the orbit app they have.

My friend in town to visit his DS and family said they insisted

on accompanying him the two blocks to the bus stop

this morning to come downtown for our lunch.

Helicopter kids?

Neat shoes but I like the gal’s better
                              ps - thanks for the glove idea. Unfortunately,

I don't think my stomach'll make finger shapes.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

5.5 miles this afternoon in beautiful sunny weather and -2° temps. Felt fine until I came back up the hill and found the breeze from the north I hadn't noticed before.