Masters Running

Moonday, 6.6.16 (Read 27 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Lotta sixes in today's date. It may mean something. It may not.

Lotsa good stuff in yesterday's post, but I got, got, got no time.

I was out the door before 4 this morning for 8 RW fartlek miles in 59F temps and drying air after yesterday's and last night's rains. My first fast mile was 10:47, and I wanted to move on from there to get to around 10:20. But I just couldn't get below 10:40. Maybe it just wasn't my day. Maybe age is finally starting to impact my speed. I dunno. But I have a race on Saturday, so I'm curious to see what happens there.

I have an 8:30 meeting, so I'm over and out.

Have a greta Moonday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Lotsa good stuff in yesterday's post, but I got, got, got no time.

....On my way to better things - I'll find myself some wings! Love that song by the Guess Who. Thanks for my ear worm for today Jay

Steve - the pictures of the doggies in Lake Michigan were cool (I suppose literally cool). What did they have in their mouth? Looks like maybe a piece of driftwood or something?

Sorry for all of you folks who have injured body parts. Hope you all feel better soon. Summer is too short to waste not being up to full speed for running.

We had a brief but strong storm pass through here last night. Ran the trail with my Y girls this morning and was shocked to see  so many big trees that must have gotten hit by lightning cracked at the base and fallen onto the trail. Plus, the river is over the banks which caused flooding in some spots. Lots of weaving and bobbing this morning! 4 miles on the elliptical, 5 miles running (at a most leisurely pace) and 30 minutes of weights and core stuff. Now out to tackle some yard work and laundry. Have I mentioned how much I like having summers off from my job?

Have a great Monday everyone!

Mike E

MM #5615

....On my way to better things - I'll find myself some wings! Love that song by the Guess Who. 

Okay--I give. Who?

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Another sunny day for running but too much stuff
          to haul on the morning ‘mute so safely rode
          five miles with new 720 lumen light.

While waitin’ for a light to change,
          a guy asks,”how did you secure
          that plastic milk box down

(on the rear carrier) you're
          carrying all that stuff in
          “Just screwed two ‘L’ braces on either side.”
          Pretty neat.”
          Except for the leather saddle
          from my original Raleigh in 1968,
          it’s the first complement I’ve ever gotten about biking.
          ps jay - do you play/hum it or take it with you.
          6/6/16 - 120th anniversary of my GM’s birth day
          up a little SE of erikaland. She was always
          proud it was on D-Day too.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

TammyinGP

Hi Folks! I've been absent for several days - busy and then even more busy.

I did run a 10K race this past Saturday morning. Per usual, it was very hot, but then we got the added surprise of it being unusually humid in So. Oregon all weekend. Temps were in low 70's at the start at 8:00 but I was already sweating from the added humidity. I ran it in 1:02, which is about what I expected for that race. 4th AG and results should be posted today, but I think I know who the 3rd AG person was and not sure I could have caught her anyways.

David had a bunch of friends over all weekend - 3 spent the night Friday, 10 came over all day Saturday for paintball wars and basketball, and then 3 spent the night Saturday also. He was one tired dog come Sunday afternoon  - and he still had studying to do too. Crunch time with ony 9 days left of school and 2 class he's right at about 88-89% so he's working hard to bring those up to A's so he can finish off his sophomore year with straight A's. 

Hard to believe the Wild Rogue Relay is next week already - looking forward to meeting a few RA's for the first time in person and seeing others that I haven't seen in a long time.

Tammy

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya!  Quick one; computers acting out; prolly got people in a tizzy in Tally (Tallahassee) due to Colin.

Just 4: no long run this weekend but 2 medium ones, so easy does it.

Good light info, tet: thanks.

Why is it "mean" merely to wait for DH

to broach the subject of a new bike?

Glad some folks who shall remain nameless have the day off.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Marathon Maniac #957

Glad some folks who shall remain nameless have the day off.

No run for me today, just 25 minutes or so of weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I Guess Who the line is from we will never know. 

Writing of songs, I have become a big fan of the Kongos of late. Great songs to run to.  This is one of their videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLN-a2w568M.

Today I ran 9. I have to get in shape for a HM at the end of this month. Getting close, as in can run the distance and the race date.  This morning it was a run with Zombies Run! Alas, I got bit. Poor avatar.  I also decided for the first time in some time that I would rather listen to the songs on my phone than to Running Radio on Pandora. Part of the reason is because I recently downloaded a new Kongos song and one by Fitz and The Tantrums called HandClap https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AtkWnBjGBU.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Dave59

4.1 miles around the neighborhood this morning.  Spent the rest of the day so far working or trying to force myself to stay focused at work.

wildchild

Carolyn

I broke Twocat's rule about running in the rain today - but it wasn't raining when I started!  In fact it was warm and sunny!  But then a thunderstorm rolled through, and I took shelter in a half-fallen down homesteader's cabin in Frazer meadow, at mile 5.  There was a hiker couple there, also sheltering, with a very scared pup, that was hiding under a coat.    The storm passed in about 10 minutes and I headed out, but had to stop again under a pine tree at mile 6.66 for another short storm.  Total was 8.9 miles, and aside from some coughing, I felt okay.

Jay, your racewalking speed is faster than my running speed!

Amy, just tell Daniel to get that new bike already!!!  Jeez!!!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mariposai

Wildchild, how great it is to see you running again.

Holly, you be a nice girl and keep taking those days off until you feel better.

Twocat, Kongos is good. Very good, indeed.

7 miles for me today, mot of it with my rocking running partner. I was aiming at only 6, but I got distracted and ran past my 6 mile turn around.

Cheeersss to all.

Nancy

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

I had enough of breaking Twocat's rule yesterday. Today I managed to get out between showers and had a dry run. Pushed the pace a bit at the end, trying to figure out how I'm going to hold 7:30 pace for the 10k in less than 2 weeks. Yikes. Felt ok during the run though, but lots of coughing afterwards. I feel like I have COPD the way I cough and wheez after a run. 6.2 miles overall, no rain.

Playing catch up in the garden this week. On Saturday I got in the beet seeds and a LOT of potatoes (over 100 seeds, we'll see how many come up). Then on Sunday after my run, and during a break in the rain, I planted a double row of bush beans and a double row of carrots. Today after work, I planted 12 broccoli seedlings, and got the rows ready for the cauliflower and cabbage and greens like lettuce, spinach and chard. I'm hoping to get everything done by Wednesday so I can start on the pots (flowers, tomatoes and peppers, with two big squash for pots on the deck). That week I was away was prime gardening time and I've been having a hard time catching up ever since. Our season is so short, I hate to miss even a day much less a couple of weeks!

SteveP

Writing of songs, I have become a big fan of the Kongos of late. Great songs to run to.  This is one of their videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLN-a2w568M.

You might be onto something there.

SteveP