Masters Running

Pre-Turkey Daily - Wednesday, 11.21.12 (Read 342 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

The post-Monkey excitement continues, with lots of folks still reveling in the glow of what sounds like a greta RA meet-up, and some glorious racing. Congrats again to all who took part!

Mike has picked up on the excitement and signed up for a horse race marathon!

OM, you deserve all the kudos you're getting for all that Tet pointed out that you've accomplished this fall.

I had to remind myself that I have a race tomorrow (Free Fall 5K in Rochester, NH), and so I just went for an easy 'stay-loose' 2.8 mile racewalk this morning; 4:15, 33F, gauzy sky obscuring some stars and creating a glow around others, and a westerly breeze. I was rounding a particularly dark curve, my mind wandering all over the place, when a man stepped out of the dark shrubs right next to me! "WHOA!" I said (OK - perhaps my choice of words was a bit stronger.) Turns out it was Steve, who is also often out at 4 o'dark, walking his dog. He was just cutting through the dense shrubs behind his home to get to the street. He apologized for scaring the carp out of me, and I laughed and told him that was just about exactly what he had done. It was pretty amusing, but I still stayed closer to the middle of the streets for the rest of the way home.

Good luck to all of tomorrow's turkey trotters, turkey eaters, and other celebrants. To those who are tempted to go shopping tomorrow night: DON'T! Your time will be much better utilized if you spend it enjoying the company of family and friends instead.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

To those who are tempted to go shopping tomorrow night: DON'T! Your time will be much better utilized if you spend it enjoying the company of family and friends instead.

Jay

+1 That big screen TV will always be there. Your family? Not so much.

Congrats to all of the Monkey people. OM - you are running so well! And Carolyn. You get her at sea level and she turns into a speed demon! Well, except for the hills. Glad everyone had a good time.

Enke - I love your new avatar.

Mike - isn't it funny how when our kids get girl/boyfriends, their visits with parents seem less frequent Smile Glad you signed up for the Kentucky Derby marathon. Sounds like another RA meetup is in the works.

Our house is in a pretty urban area but there is some vacant land about a mile away. I'm sitting in our office and I can hear the deer hunters shooting!

6 miles this morning, 9:46 pace in 36° and no wind. I signed up for a 5 mile turkey trot tomorrow, and also signed up for the Cellcom Green Bay half marathon next May. I'll host the party again. Any takers? Big grin

mrrun

Jlynne- urban is relative!!! Can't quote cause on iPhone. Stopping for breakfast on our way to Brooklyn. No runs today Marj
        Tramps

I'm with Jay on the non-shopping. 

Just an easy 5-miler this morning.

Have a great holiday weekend!

Be safe. Be kind.

Slo

4 nice and easy miles is dense soup.

My thighs are still feeling the punishment from the Monkey.

..mornin' guys//.......

.thinking

of getting me and tet t-shirts that say-

''We Used to Race, Now We Just Ride These Damn Bicycles''

=============

but I digress

28-min poolrun

telling

my hiking buddies I'm  out til Spring,

no more LegWork

til I have Two of 'Em

I may buy my t-shirt early.

....................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

OrangeMat

MM #6177

I have no intention of shopping tonight, tomorrow, nor Friday. Well, maybe some Internet shopping, but that's as far as I'll go! DD got home from school yesterday and the new BF is coming over today to spend the day. Hmm, not sure how I feel about that.... DS is driving home from MD some time today, hope he makes it home before tomorrow!

This morning I was able to walk down the stairs in my house normally again, so I knew my body was ready to return to running. Quads are still sore, but no longer crippingly so. Actually, I never really felt that bad, I have to say. Guess I still am not doing this running thing right! Wink

3 recovery paced miles this morning, chatting all the while with a couple women who I've been meeting up with for my easier paced runs as of the past few weeks. They're now ready to sign up for Monkey too!

Massage this afternoon, then time to marinate the salmon for tomorrow. Happy day to all!

Mariposai

4 nice and easy miles is dense soup.

Big grin

ohhh, taper boy, I think you have ran more marathons than me this year. How many have you done to date? 

Today  once again I was blessed with a lot of rain, so by the time I got back home from my 6 zombiesleks run I was soaked (as in water running down from my torso to my hip, to my feet wet) type soaked. 

I was having a sour attitude about running in the rain but then this music came on my Pandora station and made my heart smile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDGGvxBqfkg

I have been given so much, time to find ways to give back to others today!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Slo

Mornin' everyone.

The post-Monkey excitement continues, with lots of folks still reveling in the glow of what sounds like a greta RA meet-up, and some glorious racing. Congrats again to all who took part!

Some random thoughts on social media is:

A). It is likely the single largest reason the Monkey is so damn much fun. The ability to meet people you've shared so much with.

B). It certainly provides a means of continued revelry even after the party is done. I might not touch facebook in weeks...right now I can't keep up with all the monkey chatter. I've posted in that "scary" place referred to as the "Swamp" more in the last two days than I have in the last two years.

C). There is really no one in my circle of in person freinds that I can share my Monkey experience with. 

Holly, OM, Wildchild, Ilene...Next time we are in Nashville we're gonna do some boot scootin at one of those Honk Tonks!

Tramps

.right now I can't keep up with all the monkey chatter. I've posted in that "scary" place referred to as the "Swamp" more in the last two days than I have in the last two years.

You gotta keep up, Slo.  The Swamp stopped being scary a long time ago.  Hurtlocker, is the spot for cool kids now. Wink

Be safe. Be kind.

#artbydmcbride

A). It is likely the single largest reason the Monkey is so damn much fun. The ability to meet people you've shared so much with.

B). It certainly provides a means of continued revelry even after the party is done. I might not touch facebook in weeks...right now I can't keep up with all the monkey chatter. I've posted in that "scary" place referred to as the "Swamp" more in the last two days than I have in the last two years.

C). There is really no one in my circle of in person freinds that I can share my Monkey experience with. 

Holly, OM, Wildchild, Ilene...Next time we are in Nashville we're gonna do some boot scootin at one of those Honk Tonks!

Absolutely!!  I think some dancing would be the very best recovery form Monkey that there can be!  Big grin

Runners run

wildchild

Carolyn

Slo - are you leaving your wife at home next year?   Wink   It was pretty funny when she and your mom walked into the Microtel lobby and you had your arms around Holly and Esther, posing for a picture!   Well, at least it was in a public place...

My DH is pretty tired of hearing about the Monkey - hard to explain to someone who wasn't there and isn't a runner.   I'd have to say Monkey is the most fun I've had at a marathon, but I also think Moab was a much more awesome course, and I hope we can do a RA gathering at Moab next year!  

My DH and I got to Joshua Tree Natl Park yesterday, but the campgrounds are full - I hope we can get a spot today but with the holiday week, we might be out of luck.  We'll have fun anyway, I'm sure.  

I went for an easy 4 miler yesterday and my legs feel pretty good but a  bit creaky. 

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

King of PhotoShop

Ilene, you know they have a dance the night of the Boston Marathon and people I know who have gone to it and danced tell me they got up the next morning with fresh legs.  Something to it I guess.

Count me in on the non-shopping and family time these four days.  I always feel sorry for my RP at TG.  She's never had a real family TG dinner as her husband always has to work that day.  The Cowboys have played on TG day for as long as I can remember.  The whole family goes to the game and then they go out to dinner. That would feel strange to me.

We go to SpareTire's tomorrow and I'm making the stuffing and the gravy here tonight and bringing that.  The Saint will bring a pumpkin souffle.

2.2 miles easy today on the dirt.  Racing an 8-mile Turkey Trot tomorrow.  Happy Thanksgiving all.  Spareribs

#artbydmcbride

Mr. Forward shocked me by announcing on the plane home that he wants to train and run the Monkey.   I didn't tell him that training for Monkey is futile.

Mr. Forward has to work (always does on most holidays)  but I will go to my sister's house and be assistant chef.

I ran at the track workout last night.  I didn't do the intervals on the schedule, just jogged the outer lane and watched the rest of them run fast.  I think it healed my legs by osmosis.

Runners run

OrangeMat

MM #6177

My DH is pretty tired of hearing about the Monkey - hard to explain to someone who wasn't there and isn't a runner.   I'd have to say Monkey is the most fun I've had at a marathon, but I also think Moab was a much more awesome course, and I hope we can do a RA gathering at Moab next year!   

I have to say, the thought of Moab scares me. Monkey didn't. It's probably because I don't feel that proficient on trails... yet.... 

And as I had told both Holly and Carolyn, even the people in my running club don't get it, about Monkey. For them, it's all about speed. It defines the social hierarchy in the club: the faster you run, the more popular you are. No one "gets" the ultra mentality there. From day one, that has appealed to me (forgot to include Leslie and Francesca in my shout-outs as inspiring me to longer distances and multiple marathons in my post earlier this morning). It's how one is wired, I suppose? Or maybe because I know I'll never be "fast", at least I know I can go long and forever...