Masters Running

Saturday, 2.11.17 (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Yesterday’s excellent workouts:

Rochrunner (4 miles, relaxed pace on the Clinton River Trail)

Steve (9.7 miles along the Gulf of Mexico with no snow shovel sightings)

BerthaSlayer (5 miles, post-Cuba trip, streak still intact)

Leslie (5 miles with 6 X 1-min. hill repeats, finishing in the rain, no thanks to the cats)

C-R (3.1 lunchtime miles on the TM)

Dave (ARC & weights at the gym)

Lamerunner (snowy run on groomed rail trail in 2F temps with howling winds sounding like snowmobiles)

Marj & Henrun (running along Biscayne Bay and Henry did some biking)

Holly (6 morning TM miles)

Twocat (1 hr. on the elliptical in anticipation of the 20K being canceled, which it was)

Rochrunner, remodels are a short-term inconvenience for a much longer term benefit.

Some traveling helps keep things in perspective, doesn’t it, Lori?

Marj, I also don’t understand why anyone would jump on a treadmill when there is glorious weather right outside their door.

Leslie, that photo of the river rushing and foaming under that bridge is downright frightening!

Jlynn, I keep telling people that we’ve been getting older since the day we were born, and we’ve had to adjust to changes all along the way. Some changes have been easier to adjust to than others, but still, we adjust and move on. Don’t dwell on the 'old days' (you can’t go back to change anything, so what’s the point?), but rather make the best of the days in front of you.

Good luck with the other job, Mike!

I’m glad you got some dry stuff, Tet. And good luck with pretending to be fending off mental old age, as best you can tell...

5.6 Yaked miles in another 2-3" of freshly-fallen and still falling snow in 12F temps. This was a light powder, which was slicker (not the city type) than yesterday's packed snow. So, on some side roads that weren't adequately cleared yesterday, I was still doing some slippin' and sliddin', even with the Yaks. I chatted with the newspaper delivery guy who realized he forgot to give us our paper yesterday, so he gave us a freebie today - nice. I also saw footprints in the snow of another crazy person dedicated athlete who was out early this morning. Now DW and I are going to our fave dive for breakfast because I worked hard out there this morning and, darn it, I've earned it!

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

mrrun

Jay - nice recap and congrats on getting out there with the yaks

Ran about an hour. It's fun that this is a city where we can chose different routes - each day different directions or further in the same.  henry posted a pic on FB - I can't post here until we get home.

as to geezer issues - i run primarily by time not by distance.  i've never been as fast as you, jlynne, even when i was your age, but i've never done any speed work.  the joy is to be out there - sun, cold, even rain (in summer only twocat).  my head clears up and problems are better able to be dealt with and running allows me to eat (and drink) pretty much what i want to.  any placements that i get in races are the cherry picked ones as many of the women in  the 70 - 74 age group are running 9 and 10 minute miles, except one who's running an under 8 minute mile.

have a great saturday!

marj

C-R

Hey Jay and marj and all to come.

Nice recap and trax run Jay.

That is a good perspective marj and I'm starting to understand that better myself.

That bridge pic was both awesome and frightening.

Ran 8 with the club this morning and it was 49 degrees and sunny. Wonderful time. Hung out with the 10mpm crew and had a great conversation. Made the miles slip past like a gentle breeze. Now to paint a closet and pull up some carpet. Yay me.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Dave59

3 miles for me in my first run since the half on Sunday.

It is 65° outside at the moment.  It was 18° on this day last year.

Dave, were you still in Michigan for that 18F day?

EZ 6 miles around the lake with a buddy, mostly jawing all the way. I didn't really have it this morning, so welcomed the chance to go slow with some walking.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Tramps

Glad Jay and others are dug out...until Monday, at least, right?

Leslie, that river photo was awesome.  The power of nature.  Dumpster diving is probably a good workout, too.

Doug--I laughed at your line about not having a kitchen for "two weeks"!  My house renovation projects last years!  LOL.

Mike--hope that interview turns into something good for you.  Keep at it.

Bertha--welcome back.

I wanna be on vacation with Marj and Henry.  Sounds nice.

Lame--"reggae yoga" sounds intriguing. Also..

Swimming laps is fine though, kind of meditative.

I flashed back when I read this. In college I dated a woman who was a big swimmer and she gave me this book of poetry as a present one time. You might enjoy it, if you like that sort of thing.

Old people talk....my sister (who's 10 years older than me) just had a birthday and the card I sent her said something like: [outside] "You're older than you've ever been but remember... [inside] You're younger than you'll ever be again."  I thought that was a useful perspective. 

Watched a French movie last night, Mon Roi (My King); good but not great.  As a narrative device, it used a woman recovering from a skiing knee injury flashing back on her marriage and what went wrong.  So throughout the movie there were these painful glimpses of weeks-long intensive rehab as she struggles to bend the knee, put weight on it, walk in a pool, lift weights, etc. Quite vivid; Tribee and I both groaned out loud at some of the painful moments.  A little too close, I guess.

Rest day yesterday and EZ 6 today.

Have a good weekend.

Be safe. Be kind.

lamerunner

Hello again. I came home to NH after DS's eye follow up appt. Eye still looks good and vision is better than before the infection, so now he just needs to keep healing and make sure the new cornea does not get infected. Probably he can ski recreationally pretty soon, which is good since Spring break is coming right up. He may dabble in a bit of nordic too.

I ran on the local rail trail this morning, quite a slog. It had been somewhat groomed, but there was a bunch of soft snow on top, plus a lot of snowmobile traffic. At only 12 degrees, I thought the surface would be firmer.About 7 miles, much harder than necessary.  I may go swim to redeem the day.

And I hear you on the age thing. My body cannot tolerate anywhere near what it used to, plus of course my stoopid knee is always an issue. I think mrun has the right idea; just get out there and enjoy what you can.

Happy weekend!

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

I echo the aging perspective. I have aches and pains that I never imagined having 10 years ago.

I ran 8 miles today. Faster than usual. Supposed to rain tomorrow so in hindsight I should have ran my 16 today. Someday I will learn to check the forecast.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

TammyinGP

good afternoon all!

nice workouts that Jay recapped so succinctly.

What was your breakfast at the local dive? 

went out this morning for a 9 mile run with a friend. It was still quite cold and foggy at about 33 degrees and about 10 minutes after our run, the fog finally burned off and it's now nice and sunny. good run though. i haven't done that kind of distance in a year or more I bet. not super fast, averaged out about 10:30's I think, but it was a comfortable pace. ended up with 9.3 miles in total.

Tammy

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I spent the morning and early afternoon at my 8th grade granddaughter's basketball tournament.  It is unbelievable how good these girls are...not just our team but all these girls are so good at such a young age.  It's the same in soccer--the skill level is so much better than when my daughters were playing.  We won both our games so we play in the championship, tomorrow...which I'll have to miss because of church.

When I got home I did my run and, after a terrible week of running, today was a fairly good one with 12 miles in 1:28:06.  I'll take it.

Okay--I'd better go upstairs and see how Debbie wants me to spend the rest of our Saturday.  See ya!

Tramps  I wanted to put on the invitation to my birthday party, "Celebrating one year closer to death!" For some reason my DW nixed it.  Women! I will never understand them.

Holly S. for the peppers it helps to have a hispanic neighborhood nearby. If you do grocery stores in the area will likely have the peppers. If not, you can get the dried peppers from Amazon. The fresh peppers will require a bit more ingenuity. You can replace the Fresno chilies with jalapenos. They are pretty similar in taste. The Fresno chilies are sort of red colored jalapenos. The Anaheim peppers can be replaced with whatever frying peppers you store carries. You are looking for one of the larger milder peppers. But not a poblano. You want one with a soft skin. Good luck with your pepper hunt!

I got up late and after procrastinating got my body out for a 16 mile run. The temperatures were not bad, low to mid thirties. The roads were okay. The sidewalks are covered in snow. But the road shoulders are mostly clear. Other than one van that nearly hit me (I guess turning the steering wheel a little bit was too much work for the guy driving it) I managed to get through the run without incident.

After spending the day working. I put together dinner. I made this cauliflower with quinoa recipe as a side. It is one of my favorite cauliflower recipes mostly because the quinoa with prunes and peanuts that goes with it is so delicious! Make just that if you want, it is good all by itself.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/cauliflower-with-quinoa-prunes-and-peanuts

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

spacityrunner

3.5 miles in hot humid and windy conditions.  It was a hard run, but the scenery was beautiful.

Trails Rock!

The Hub changed medical providers to my NP and saw her Thursday for the first time.  They hit it off, which I knew they would, but his blood pressure is high.  He doesn't want to take meds, so she told him needs to lose 10-15 lbs and that will probably work.  Why am I telling you this?  Because I'll have to forego looking at 2Kitty's delicious recipes until he get his weight off.  I guess we're both sorta dieting since I'm providing mental support. 

10 chilly, sunny miles today at Headwaters.  Lots of people and their dogs out enjoying the sunshine and no rain!

Things were a bit frosty this morning.  I stepped out onto the deck to uncover my plants, I had on slip-on shoes that don't have a whole lot of traction, and DOWN GOES LESLIE!  Landed on the right side of my butt/back.  Scared the crap out of me!  I crawled the 2 or 3 feet back to the door and into the house.  It wouldn't have been too bad, except I landed on the part of my butt that I'm having a lot of trouble with. I just sort of laid on the floor for a couple of minutes assessing the potential damage. 

After talking with my PT last week and doing the hamstring exercises he gave me - which are helping the hamstring, but not the butt issue - I think I may have Ischial Bursitis Syndrome, or Weaver's Bottom, as Dave (my PT) said it's also called.  The exercises are definitely helping the hamstring issue - and would help a lot faster if I stopped running - but the pain in my butt (no pun intended . . . okay, maybe a little . . . ) is not getting better, and by the end of the day yesterday at work, I could hardly sit.

I'm icing and taking ibu, but at this point I'm ready to see if someone will give me a cortisone injection to help relieve some of the inflammation.  I left a message for Dave yesterday and will be waiting anxiously to hear from him Monday.  I swear, yesterday I was ready to to go urgent care and see if they'd give me a shot.  I can take a lot of pain, but this is getting beyond what even I can take.

Yes, running makes things worse, so I will be limiting my running this next week in the hopes things calm down and don't destroy me at my races next weekend.  Then when I come back, I'm willing to stop running for however long it takes to get things happy . . . .keeping in mind I have a 50 miler in July.

I swear, I'd like to get through one year - just ONE YEAR - without having something happen.  Waaaaa!

Speaking of water, bridges, etc., the spillway of America's tallest dam, which is in Oroville, CA (a few hrs east of us), has a huge freaking hole in it, so for the first time in the dam's 48-year history, they're having to use the emergency spillway.

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

SteveP

I'm pulling for y'all MikeE.

Lamerunner, snowmobiles on hiking trails are irritating. Saplings being rundown are inexcusable. There are just as many great views on groomed trails.

Oh Leslie..... Youch. I'm sorry for your fall. Stoopid gravity.

Re: adjusting to change as it affects running. I'm disappointed with my speed. I like opportunities for distance. It takes time for my legs to for my legs to quit throbbing. Any hardware I get is a participation trophy. So I'm out for fun.

Last spring, I was in Florida with Dad's rehab. Two cousins signed up for a 5K with me on a whim. Since then they have done a couple a month. We did another today! I'm so happy with both of them.

When Dad went down for a nap, I went out for another 3.5 miles. Good times.

SteveP