Masters Running

Tuesday's Daily, 9.5.17 (Read 30 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Monday’s workouts:
    Tomwhite (Xbiking & racing crutches at the Y)
    RunnerKSA (10K at 9:50 pace with AG win)
    Twocat (6 miles, slow with photos)
    Dave (fast 5K [27:22], snagging 1st place AG)
    Catwhoorg (18+ sweaty, weight-losing miles, with 2 X 20 min at tempo)
    Pfriese (EZ 5 round-the-park morning miles)
    Henrun (5 mile walk to the Commons, then subway home)
    Stumpy (Fishing instead of running)
    Rochrunner (19.7 bike miles with a stop for coffee and free pie)
    Holly (5.5 miles in 75-ish temps and 30 min of weights/core)

Mike (7.1 miles with speedwork in the rain)

Evanflein (3.25 afternoon miles on tired legs)

Spacityrunner (5.5 evening, knarley-ass trail miles)

Tomwhite, Ribs is posting more on FB than here, and seems to be OK with doing some running, and continuing to enjoy playing bridge.

Excellent racing, RunnerKSA and Dave - congrats on your awards (and on your post-race feast, Dave)! Nice photos, Dave.

Nice vid with photos, Twocat - especially the overpass…

7 lbs is a lot to lose on one run, Cat, even if it was over 18 miles. I hope you put at least a couple back on afterwards.

Good behavior, Pfriese. Keep up the good work.

Sorry about the knee problem, Henrun. I hope it is short-term.

I’m glad you were happy with your decision, Stumpy, even if no fish bit. Sorry about closing the camp.

Good workout weekend, Rochrunner, and nice scoring some free pie on your ride.

I’m glad you got some reading and running time, Holly.

I’m so sorry about the apparent increasing smoke/fire hazards, Tammy. I sure hope this all clears soon, and that you don't have to evacuate.

Sounds like a great haul from your veggie garden this year, Evanflein. Good job of taking it easy (with running) yesterday.

Enjoy the coming cold front, Spacityrunner.

We did a little site-clearing yesterday for a storage shed we want to put in next to our wood shed. We have a 1 car garage, and there isn’t room for the snowblower, lawn mower, log splitter, wagons, and lots of other stuff we try to keep in there along with the car. We ordered the shed, and it should be her in about 45-60 days.

6.9 RW miles at J o'clock in breezy 64° temps on fatigued legs, but I still managed a modicum of a decent pace.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Thanks, Jay.  Welcome back to a short work week, y'all.

My legs are so tired.  Racing 10K- especially with hills- will do that.  Would have been a nice day to take a rest day.  Stupid streak.  2.4 miles before work.  2.1 miles on treadmill after work watching the shootings report on the local news....   4.5 for the day.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Thanks jay.
        Sorry you gave in to the siren call of another morning RW run and chickened out the longer sleep that most people would need, and more, to do what you do everyday. KSA too.

Thanks for passing on FB messages.
        Did stumps go fishing?
        five miles in the smoke and haze

so much smoke and haze up here from tammy-land that the sunrise/set are an hour after-and-before schedule and the moon is too faint an orange orb once it gets higher up into the sky for any more of the weekend’s planned moonrise swimming. Even wore a gauze mask for the bridge crossing and downtown parts of this morning’s fiver.
        KSA - our best multi-event combination used to be 19.3 morning miles in the now defunct Seafair 5K at 7am followed by a half marathon at 7:30 iu Bellevue, WA and a drive to nearby Tiger Mountain for a 5K trail run at 11am.

Dave - sorry you missed the 28th anniversary of your Charleston Distance Run but not sure why as you’re definitely in good enough shape to run 15 miles.  I don’t relate to being competitive anymore, if ever, but, maybe with you still being able to chalk up AG hardware, I guess it wouldn’t be as competitive as you can still like.  However, hope you can run it in 2019 no matter what.  Congratulations on the ten pounds, and cattywampus’s seven.   With that much weight loss in 18 miles, you’ll be losing 54.4 pounds for your IM!
        2C . . . I will swim here and there
        . . . . .  I will swim without a care
        . . . . .  I will swim anywhere
        It probably helps that most of us
        who grew up in rain country have webbed feet.
        However, I do not like back-and-forth like a horizontal yoyo in chlorine so, as long as I can still sidestroke, dog-paddle, backstroke, etc., that’s my excuse for not training for triathlons either. .
        The beauty of triathlons is being able to range out over your head and out into the middle of lakes that would otherwise be off-limits for us poor swimmers, . . . to say nothing being able to do safe cycling full speed ahead though otherwise closed freeways and intersections just like reckless skiing days of the past.  
        ps starr - for sure, do the first timers.
        You’ll love it.

Erika - a concerned mama moose was one of my scariest encounters too but nothing like it happening while flying down the middle of the famed “The Chute” up there.  However, I’d often add, “how are ya doin’? just in case I surprised some hapless hikers coming around the corner so they’d think I saw them first instead of just yelling out loud to myself and the yogis.  On hikes with GS last summer,  we’d do songs and poems with me on the first part and him hollerin’ the last rhyming words as loudly as possible.   

Any blueberry action up there this year?
        I may have picked too many blackberries this weekend.

Has anyone ever had a job so repetitive that it becomes a dream?
        Mine are endless salmon coming up the cannery conveyor belt, same streaming through a weir window into the spawning lake, . . . . and now picking so many blackberries this weekend, I dreamed about retrieving beach ball size ones from big oaks.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Stupid streak.  2.4 miles before work.

KSA, I hope you're not competing for longest RA streak. We have one person here who's still nominally a member -- perchcreek -- who as of a month ago was up to 2552 days (6yrs, 11mos, 26d) for 21,112 miles (minimum 5 per day)!

It was my last chance for a few weeks for my regular Tuesday group ride, so I went out with the guys for 18.6 miles, getting a bit wet on the way out to the coffee shop as it kept alternating between sun and rain clouds. At least it was sunny most of the way back so we all dried out OK.

I'm packing a few running items for our trip the next two weeks, but it wasn't worth taking up space for running shoes so I'll just try running in my sneaker-style casual shoes a couple of times, probably in Santa Fe.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

thanks jay//........but scratch me on those work-outs,

decided to spend the day with a Back Spasm instead

and

they say we're not Fun People

===================

got two pre-cancers frozen off my face*

(*see

''Fun People'' comment above)

45-min on the x-bike

and

a MonsterStorm decided I WASN'T going PoolRunning

...Pickles and Buddies

are stuck over in Ireland,

and

have already

let me know

they will miss the connecting flight in Atlanta

...........so I'm thinking Pizza Night.......

good running to ya

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

As for streaks-  JeffDonahue is over 9 years on our "Mile a Day" group.   I'm not trying to set any records.  To me, my streak means I haven't been too sick or injured to run, which is a major accomplishment.  I had a 960 day streak which ended in a stress fracture (not from the streak) and now I'm at 794 days.  While it is hard to let go of a streak, I tell myself that I will accept the ending of my streaks when the time has to come. I have seen people streak who risk permanent injury and have set their running back a lot by continuing a streak when they can't even turn over in bed.  I don't want to do that.  My goal is to run for many, many more years.   I can eke out a mile with a chest cold or a stomach bug, but when I have some sort of surgery or an injury that is clearly something that requires not running, then the streak is over.

I don't actually think streaks are a great idea, because it is too easy to not rest enough- even with lower mileage days.  For me, it works for my mental health and it keeps me going from one day to the next.

TammyinGP

Sorry about the smoke making it's way up to you in Tet-Land  (although now i guess there's a pretty big one just east of Portland near Multnomah area). I don't wish this bad air on anyone. Sure wish Texas would have shared some of their rain with us though. 

took today off work and went to gym this morning and ran 6 on the TM. David's first day of school today, although not really a day for him but he helps with freshmen orientation so he's there anyways. tomorrow will be his official first day of classes. He opted not to take a first period this year though so he gets to sleep in a bit later each morning.

it's been tradition since K that I make him a snack or treat of some type for the first day back to school. This year his request was a lemon-poppyseed cake, so that's what is in the oven now. I've never used cake flour to make a cake before, just use all purpose but this time I thought I'd try that to see what difference it makes in the cake texture. Plus, I used buttermilk, soaked my poppy seeds and even fresh squeezed the lemons for the juice in the recipe and for the simple syrup and glaze to pour over it. Better turn out mouthwatering good after all that work.   and if it does turn out good, I might have to run another 6 miles on the TM tomorrow.

Tammy

Dave59 congratulations! An unplanned race and you win it. Wow.

catwhoorg as others have said that is a tough workout.

pfriese true, better to ramp up slow than return to the DL.

Henrun a 5 mile walk is pretty good and yesterday a gorgeous in New England.

stumpy77 you sound like my dad, except he would likely not have thought about going running. He would fish, not catch anything and be perfectly happy with that.

rochrunner around here I think the Friday leave early for the beach house traffic is the worst and it lasts all summer!

Holly S. all my books these days are either available on my Nook or I do not read them. I so like the electronic device. LIght. Easy to read. Guaranteed to drop you right back where you left off when you open it up again.

TammyinGP all of the stories I have seen out of the PNW look horrible. I sure hope you can somehow find your way to abandoning ship until the air clears.

Mike E sorry that is a very clear violation of rule #1.

evanflein nice garden haul! My DW brought home a bag of tomatoes from a friend that grows them. I just cannot believe you do not like fried green tomatoes!  You clearly have not had then done right. It is like not liking french fries!

spacityrunner to think, around here we are lamenting what a cold summer it has been.

coastwalker must be a trend to add storage space. Some friends of ours are planning to tear down an old garage and replace it with a larger one in a slightly different spot. Their hang up is that it requires taking down a couple of trees. Cheap if they fall on their own during a storm, but not otherwise! Needless to say they keep hoping some storm will topple them into the old garage and kill two birds with one stone.

RunnerKSA I think pretty much racing even a 5K tires out the legs for a day.

tetsujin209 I happy to say my jobs have never turned into dreams. A few nightmares. But no dreams.

roachrunner how much room do running shoes take up? I can usually squeeze them in.

tomwhite I imagine those frozen off your face spots are not pleasant. Recover fast.

Today was a pretty big eating breakthrough for me. This was the first time since surgery that I managed to eat anything without first needing to take a pain killer. Before then I ran 11 miles. About as slow as I have ever run, but I did it. Here is the link the to relive video of it: https://www.relive.cc/view/g14046294547. It covers one of the local race courses. As a diversion I decided to take a picture at the start, each mile marker and the finish. The problem is relive has its own ideas about order and when to display the pictures. Each photo includes a picture of the mile marker so you can at least see which should go when. But as to where, relive is useless! I think that as a practical matter you can only attach two or maybe three pictures per run if you want to see them appear about where you think they should go.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

That's amazing that you ran 11 miles already after what you've been through!  Tough dude!   Great about the eating, too!

catwhoorg

Labrat

Super easy paced 5 miles at lunchtime, then a slow ride for 20 after work.

Got home, got baby boy inside about 10 mins before the heavens opened.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Marathon Maniac #957

thanks jay//........but scratch me on those work-outs,

decided to spend the day with a Back Spasm instead

and

they say we're not Fun People

===================

got two pre-cancers frozen off my face*

(*see

''Fun People'' comment above)

and {{{TomWhite}}} at the same time.

Rest day for me on Tuesday.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps

Sorry but I've been too busy to keep up here. I've been AWOL for a few days as I scramble to meet a major work deadline. I'm even having to bail on accompanying TriBee to a tri this weekend--and a possible RCG meet-up--to get work done instead.

On the other end of the spectrum, TriBee's workplace is being reorganized and she's eligible for a buyout offer for early retirement at a reduced pension. Lots of pros and cons to think about, but she has to decide in just a few weeks so we're busy trying to think through what makes the most sense.

Anyhoo...lots of new exercises for me (there seem to be an endless variety) but no cycling since Sunday.  However, I did get my new clipless pedals and figured out how to install them last night. I hope to get to try them on the trainer tonight. When I go out on the road with them for the first time, I plan to alert the local ER in advance.

Hope everyone's doing well.

Be safe. Be kind.