Masters Running

Race reports for the June 21 and 22 weekend (Read 20 times)

Mariposai

First weekend of summer!!!!

Wishing our intrepid racers great fun!!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

(put this in the daily, but it really goes here so will double post if that's alright)

So. Midnight Sun Run came and went. I was on track for a good run I think. It's always hard, as I said before, to prep for this race because instead of getting up from a good (or even not-so-good) night of sleep, you're doing this race at the end of a busy Saturday. I really wanted a sub-50 minute 10k to help me not feel like I'm just this continuously slowing train out there.

Things started off right on time, but about .2 mile into the race there's a sharp left turn to go over the train track overpass and I found myself in a completely bottled up herd in that corner. Oops, bad planning there. And even worse when I felt someone's feet get tangled between mine and I went down hard on my left knee/leg and right hand, even hitting my chin on the concrete. I've never fallen like that before, and immediately thought of Holly's fall where she really hurt her knee. I felt hands grab my arms and pull me up, and a woman stopped to ask if I was ok. I didn't know, really, but said I'd try to keep going.

Even with that, my first mile was sub-8 so I thought well, maybe... But then the fire in my knee started up and I had to stop before mile 2 and check out the damage. Big red angry scrape already scabbing up a bit below my knee and another above, but it was my hand that hurt the most. My pinkie started swelling up and throbbing, owww. Kept going with several stops and walk breaks and finally made it to mile 5.5 where DH was hanging out with friends watching for me. I almost cried when I saw him, just a flood of emotions from the pain and disappointment, but told him I was going to finish. And I did.

52:18 after all that, and 1st of 98 in the 55-59 age group, amazingly enough. But 74th of women overall so no points (again) for this race. Oh well.

#artbydmcbride

Ouch!  ((Evanflein))  I hope you heal up fast!  (you sure run fast!  Smile )

Runners run

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

erika - hand, knee, chin, . . . excellent.

I think a lot of us have done one or the other

but never all at once.  Anyone?

So glad you seem to have come out

of it all okay, though.  Is that your worst fall

up there? I think, but are you still one

of the rarities who's never fallen

in the Equinox Marathon?

Hand, knee, chin, . . . .

no particular reason

but maybe I'll try it too.

Ouch!  ((Evanflein))

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mariposai

Erika, I am so sorry to read this news about your knee. But as always you finished the race and really fast!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard