Masters Running

Fall marathon possibilities - Air Force Marathon, Columbus Marathon, or both? (Read 247 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Okay, it’s time to register for a fall marathon if I want to get the early-bird discount. I have 2 marathons I’m thinking about doing, the Air Force Marathon on 9/20/08, or the Columbus Marathon on 10/19/08. Plusses for AF Marathon: 1. Very close to home (15 minute drive) 2. Early in the fall, so probable good weather. 3. I BQ’d there last year. 4. Did I mention that it’s very close to home? Minuses: The BQ, if I got one, would only be for 2009. Plusses for Columbus Marathon: 1. Reasonably close (1.5 hour drive) 2. Advertised as a flat, fast course – BQ material 3. I haven’t done this one, so a new experience 4. A BQ here, if I got one, would be good for 2009 and 2010 Minuses: I’m a total nervous Nellie in a strange city, somewhat terrified that I won’t be able to figure out how to get there, find parking, find the start line, find my car afterward, etc. and I’d be going there to do this alone (what a big chicken I am!) because my family is sort of bored with my races. They’re proud of me, but don’t really want to come along. I’m also thinking about doing both. Like Enk said, marathons are like putting all your eggs in one basket, all that training for months and then so many things could blow it for you – a poorly timed virus, sleet, snow, high winds, thunderstorms, etc. It would be nice to have 2 chances in the fall to have a good marathon, just in case I blow it at one. 4 weeks apart should be enough recovery time. On the other hand, that’s a lot of training, and I don’t want to get burned out on running. What do you think?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

King of PhotoShop

I can see no logic whatsoever for doing both. Spareribs

Me

Holly, I don't profess to have the experience to advise on whether both is do-able. I can tell you that I am planning to run the Columbus 1/2 if my work schedule permits. I know that Debbie (DG) had talked about going to Columbus for the marathon. I don't know if she is still thinking about that though given her hammy problems. Mike
        wildchild

Carolyn

Columbus might not be so scary if you were meeting some boomers there! That would be kewl. And as for spareribs seeing no logic in doing both, I don't believe maniacs are logical anyway so that should have no bearing on your decision! Would you have to stay overnight in Columbus, or just drive early am before the race? And how much are the entry fees? I would think that would affect your decision.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Holly, I couldn't figure out what the problem was but then I see they're on the 19th and 20th of different months.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Maybe doin' the 9/27 Akron and comin' out here inbetween times would help bellymary - 9/28; Portland - 10/5; RVM - 10/12>>

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

Holly, yes! Do the RVM on Oct. 12!!!! That's my birthday marathon this year. Only thing standing in my way is my October conference doesn't get approved... but my boss and I have been invited to present so hopefully it won't get nixed... Anyhow, I'm all for new experiences so I think you should do Columbus. All your Pros are very strong, and frankly all you cons are silly. You're a grown woman, for criminy's sake, spread your wings and do something a little out of your comfort zone!!! Just think... if someone told you two years ago you'd be doing 3 marathons in 5 weeks, what would you have told them??
                  I'd advise doing Columbus just because it's likely to be cooler. The Des Moines Marathon was moved from Oct to Sept, but people complained about it being too warm and now it's back to Oct.

Marathon Maniac #957

Thanks! I went ahead and signed up for the Columbus Marathon and the Air Force Half Marathon, which occurs at a good time in my training cycle for Columbus.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."