Masters Running

Shamrock Marathon RR (Read 520 times)

Nono wow.....all that crying and laughing, I dunno, I don't like Tom Petty either.  Kind of makes me not want to do another marathon.  If only the race can be skipped and I'd meet you on the beach for the party.  You sure are tough.  Doing that on such low food intake is pretty amazing.  And it sounds like you are going for maniac status??  Well, big congratulations on toughing that one out.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Considering all you had working against you, that was a fine marathon, nono.  Congrats on toughing it out. 

TomS

usandtoto-2@msn.com

Congrats Nono, sounds like you made lemonade on a day that was trying to give you only lemons.  Great job sticking with it.  And yes, marathoners do tear up and laugh at the same time while crossing the finish line.  I had to smile when I read about the 2.5 mile (or so) hill starting at mile 16.  Actually you only gain 10 feet of elevation along Shore Drive.  It really just an visual dis-allusion.   I have run Shamrock 3 times, the 1/2 once and the 8k three times, plus countless races in Ft Story.  I do love the course and the area.  It is a long way back down Pacific Ave just counting the numbered blocks when you are not feeling well (yes, I done that too there). 

Thanks for sharing your day with us.  It brought back good memories for me.  Don't they have the best after race party?  Again Congrats..  Rest up, heal, GET SOME SLEEP.  Good running next weekend at Ocean Drive (hope you have a southern wind).  Looking forward to reading your next RR. 

Marathon Maniac #530 Mike (My Indian name is "Runs for Beer")

Renee the dog

I had to smile when I read about the 2.5 mile (or so) hill starting at mile 16.  Actually you only gain 10 feet of elevation along Shore Drive.  It really just an visual dis-allusion.  

Man, it seemed at least 30' over the 2+ miles, for sure...but I was walking it and can moan about a 1' elevation change on a bad day.  I actually like long slow climbs, so maybe I was just feeling sorry for myself while walking and thinking I was missing "the best" part of the course. Quiet woods, a slow climb -- for me, that's prime running territory. 

I would gladly run that course again anytime!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Nono! You are one tough runner and way to go on getting through number 2 and then plunging head first---feet first?into the next one. The emotions can be fierce in these marathons and I wear sunglasses in many races for the tears as much as the sun protection.

Impressive running in spite of the obstacles. Congratulations!

Mariposai

Subtitled: Oh yes you can run a marathon on a pretzel nub, 2 coconut waters and ½ of a clif shot block!

I had the time of my life! I think I like marathoning.

I love this girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Way to go nono!!!!!!!!!!!! This is the way to look at a marathon!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

dg.

(sorry I'm late!!!)

Nono I love this report.   It was just as good a read this time as it was the last Smile.       Your experiences (and the weather)  through most of this training cycle for some reason keep making me think of a Chevy Chase movie.   And then during the race itself.... the story continues.   Can't breath.  Can't eat.   geez.   Besides it was warm, though I know you like that, & windy!      This all really impresses me because (though it hasn't happened yet) I have this thing in my mind that training for a marathon has to go perfectly.  I don't know where that idea came from, but there it is anyway.    You just rode the waves as they came, more or less, and did it anyway!     Take a bow.   Very well done!!!!     Love the post race party.    You'd do this again?  I will keep that in mind!  I'm sorry again that I didn't make it, but one of these days I'll run behind you.   Big grin

Sorry I'm so late in reading this  Nono, you ROCK!  I can't even get out of bed to train when i haven't slept, but here you went sleepless for TWO nights, had health issues, and still ran an entire marathon. I am so impressed. Great RR!

Maybe someday for me.....

MM #7877

It is a long way back down Pacific Ave just counting the numbered blocks when you are not feeling well (yes, I done that too there). 

I actually found the numbered blocks a positive thing. I like to play those mental games though. 

Thanks for the race report. If I ever do another marathon, it will be Shamrock again. My favorite race I ever ran.

Philippians 4:13.