Masters Running

Thursday, 6/9/16 (Read 33 times)

Sayhey! MM#130

Mornin'!

Lots going on: thanks for the update on Mustang Sally and DaveinAA.  Hoping all goes well, and pshew, here's to early detection.

Holly--doncha wish you could somehow combine one's allotted share of injuries with other times, e.g., like when you had the oral surgery anc couldn't run?  But 2 weeks isn't bad, you're right.  Maybe it will give you a good rest all over, you know, make you more resilient over all.

Erika asked: "Aamos, he can always save up again for the hearing aids, right? If the bike is a good one at a good price (is it?), then maybe he shouldn't pass it up? And hey, he got up and said what he wanted, that should count for something?"

Answer: yes, for sure, lots of points in his column.  The problem with saving for the HAs is twofold:

1. We may need counseling if the HAs aren't upgraded, as he thinks he is faking it and is not, e.g., nodding or saying yes when he really doesn't hear.  This is ok when I say something like: "That Mookie Betts is sure something, isn't he?"  But not when I say: "So I'll stop at Publix on the way home and you'll go to CVS--and remember to get Ibuprofen and my allergy pills, ok?"

2. I may lose my voice, as a consequence of the above is me speaking in stentorian tones whenever we have a conversation.

And there is no bike yet, just the yen to get one.  Which again, I support.   We had a plan; first, replace his car with a 'new to us' one.  He did all the shopping, settling on a 2012 Honda.  Check.   Second was/IS the HAs upgrade.

OK, got us going, will try to check in later.  Loving Thursday, hope you are too.  And the peonies (or gardenias, whatever grows near you.).  Superb advice.

Hiya Patriots, glad to see you!

So I propose an exception to the running in the rain taboo, as it was lightly raining this am, which in SW FL is welcome, as the temps stayed in the 70s and my run was delightful.  Another 10K,slow but fun.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Mike E

MM #5615

Hey!  You're not Jay!  The plot thickens....

Dave59

I took advantage of the 50° temps and did my longer run today instead of waiting until Saturday. I did 10 instead of my planned 9 miles.  It was painfully slow and I was tired, but my legs actually felt ok.  Just need to get my heart & lungs to keep up.

My mind needs to get in the game too. I don't feel very good until I get past halfway and then I magically start feeling better. That has to be all mental.

It was first double digit run since last October.

Loving Thursday!

Morning run on a glorious day.

Jay - i seem to be running, in that my Garmin strap broke, and so I am sunning time and distance by feel ... and since it feels like running, it must be running. Right?

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Marathon Maniac #957

Halloo!

Amy - my friend the avid bicyclist says you can get wonderful deals on used bikes if you look carefully - very expensive bikes for great prices.

45 minutes of PT and weights and core for me today.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Aamos, I totally get the comment about needing counseling if he doesn't get new hearing aids.

My ex has a hearing issue that seemed to get much worse about 3 years before he left.  He wouldn't get tested.  He could be sitting right beside my son and not hear him.  I had to repeat myself 3 times pretty much for anything I uttered, each time louder, until of course it sounded like I was yelling. I imagine it's not so fun to be yelled at, like the person is angry at you when they aren't.  And the act of speaking loudly seems to change your physiology so that you feel agitated.  I still believe this was a factor (even if minor) in the demise of our marriage.  He is now with an ESL woman.  I have no idea how they communicate - I imagine they just smile and nod at each other.  He was never a good communicator to begin with and so perhaps this situation works better for him.

Sorry, that off topic.  The person with the hearing deficit is often not aware of the severity of it.  They mishear but don't realize it.

No run today.

Well, my water heater broke again after replacing the elements.  Either there is a faulty thermostat that keeps tripping or there is something wrong with the whole system.  Probably time to suck it up and buy a new one.  And my bathroom sink is plugged again - I will fix that tonight hopefully.  Really looking forward to next weekend and the Relay!  Obsessive weather forecast checking has begun!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Hi, All -

I need to go back and see what's been happening.  Again, I'm out of the loop due to . . . . I can't say laziness.  I haven't had any extra work for about a week now and it has been wonderful to go home after work and NOT get on a computer.  Alas, I got work yesterday, but that's okay.  A steady flow is good.

On Saturday, I swept the Grasshopper Peak Redwood Run 30k - ugh!!  That course is brutal, no bones about it.  4,268 feet of elevation gain, and almost all of that is within the first 10.5 miles.  It was hot and muggy and the ambulance had to be called for 2 people who weren't fairing so well with the heat.  One lady, the front woman runner, blacked out about half a mile from the finish, she was pushing so hard in the heat.

But I found no bodies on the course, so that was good for me.  As the sweep, I cut about 10 min off my time from last year, but then I didn't have a puking event this year, either.   There were a couple of rangers patrolling the course, and I sure was glad to see one of them about half a mile or so from the top.  It's kinda eery knowing there's no one coming behind you and if something happens to you . . . I did get kinda shaky about a mile from the top, but I wasn't worried as I knew I just needed to slow down until I could get to the aid station and dump water on my head.  This will probably end up being a regular gig for me.  It's an "easy" way to give back to a sport I love so much.

Not much else going on here.  There's a group of us ladies who are going to do an evening/night run this coming Saturday.  I figure with enough of us making noise, any potential animal life in the vicinity will head the other direction.  None of us participating have done a night trail run before, so I'm guessing we're going to be a bit slow.  But that's okay.  I just want to get at least a little bit of experience under my belt before PYP at the end of July.

And I, too, am looking forward to the relay next week.  It'll be a nice 4-day weekend with friends. 

Okay - I gotta get my lunch eaten.  Enjoy the rest of your week ~

MTA - I went back and read Henry's post about Mustang Sally.  My prayers will be with them, and it makes me happy I have a colonoscopy scheduled for the end of the month.

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

AamosY my sympathies on the hearing aid issue. My DW aunt needs one desperately! I have decided that if she cannot be bothered to get a  hearing aid I cannot be bothered to scream at the top of my lungs either. I just talk in a normal voice. If it is a monolog that just means the visit ends earlier as I run out of things to say to the wall. I realize this will not work well for live in relatives, which is why you have my sympathies. I have no idea what one can do in that case.

fatozzig dropping out of a race like that a half mile from the finish! Poor gal!

enkephalin more sympathies from me! I too have had a bad streak of home mechanical issues of late. My hot water heater's temperature regulator blew. Then a tree branch fell down in my back yard destroying a section of the fence. This has to be fixed ASAP as it is needed to keep the pool to code. Speaking of which, the safety cover's motor on it (also needed to keep up with local building codes) is shot and needs replacing. On the plus side, the roof has not started leaking. 

I went off for a 9 mile run this morning with the Zombies Run! app. Escaped all of the hungry hordes. Plus it was cool and clear out! Great weather here in CT today, tomorrow and the week coming. Which explains why I am flying to England on business for a week. There is will be cool, cloudy and rainy for the week.  DW is going on business too (about the second time in our lives I think our business trips have coincided) and is just as psyched as I am about the weather change.  But all the news is not bad. I won an TIMEX Ironman Movex20 watch! How? I entered the Fairfield Half Marathon. They were holding a lottery in which they gave a few of these away to entrants and my name got pulled! Now to go off and buy some lottery tickets! Not really. But it seems like a good karma day.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

My ex has a hearing issue that seemed to get much worse about 3 years before he left.  He wouldn't get tested.  He could be sitting right beside my son and not hear him.  I had to repeat myself 3 times pretty much for anything I uttered, each time louder, until of course it sounded like I was yelling. I imagine it's not so fun to be yelled at, like the person is angry at you when they aren't.  And the act of speaking loudly seems to change your physiology so that you feel agitated.

Good points.  My FIL was here the week before last, and he is very hard of hearing, and I have no ideal exactly how often he heard us vs. just nodding.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

My FIL has been hard of hearing ever since I've known him (over 28 years) as he was a powder monkey in the gold mines in North (South?) Dakota when he was younger.  He always refused to get hearing aids.  For awhile his hearing was "opportunistic" as he would comment on things every now and then when, oh my!  We thought you could hear us?!?   But his is so bad now he can't hear anything unless you yell at him and we figure it's his way of shutting out the world. . . . . sometimes an enviable position to be in . . . .

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I slept through the whole night, last night, without getting up once!  It's been a long time since I've done that.  I'm surprised I didn't wet the bed.

When I was a kid, we had a family friend who wore hearing aides.  My brother and I would start mouthing our words during a conversation and the poor guy would quickly turn his hearing aids up, then we'd start talking really loud and he'd have to turn them down real quick.  I don't think he liked us very much.  And it's, probably, why I have two hearing impaired grandkids, today.

I mowed the lawn after work...it's not as fun as running.

Okay--I guess that's all I got.  See ya!

I slept through the whole night, last night, without getting up once!  

Oh my . . . that sounds SOO luxurious and wonderful!!!

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

HEARING AIDS

amy -

Holly probably knows all about it but, at least out here in Washington, some of the medicaid private add-ons provide $4,000-$5,000 hearing aids so maybe the bike would be a good idea right away after all because hearing can always be enhanced (i think) but, once age starts slowing down cycling muscles, there's not much that can be done to try to make it possible to keep on keeping up with faster cycling friends again.

zigs - how come you were running alone instead of just following the last-place runner as I've had the pleasure of keeping the company of more than one sweeper over the latter years of my trail running.  All's they had to do was pull the red-flagging down that was marking the running route along the way.  Fortunately, though it's happened in some editions of same races in years I did not enter, I've never seen an ambulance nor has anyone ever needed one in any of the trail races I've done over the years. whew. .

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)