Masters Running

The Ave of the Giants 2014 RA meet up temptation (Read 81 times)

Mariposai

You are looking for a temptation to run the Ave of the Giants?

Well...let me give it to you!!!

Big grin

You will run 26.2 miles among giants!

http://www.theave.org/

You will meet up with super duper cool RA friends! This is a picture of my latest meet up at the Light at the End of the Tunnel (see my wings?)

and you WILL go back home to tell your friends that you not only visited the Redwoods forest, but ran 26.2 miles meandering through the woods.

https://www.google.com/search?q=redwoods+california&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=lO7xUdXUMsHQrgGmgYH4Cw&ved=0CFEQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=635

And if we are all lucky, we may even have some good beers to celebrate with at the end

Joking

Are you in?

Or...at least will you consider this option...do tell!

Dream big...and remember...DREAMS do come true...but you first have to dream the dream!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Man, Mari--you are cruel.  Boy, that looks tempting.  Not sure DW is up for yet another running vacation, though.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

mrrun

and for those who don't want the marathon distance (such as me), there's a 10K and a half!

we're hoping to be there

marj and henrun

I love forests!!

Count me in!  Probably for the half...I'lll start training today.  When is registration open?  And does it fill fast?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Walk-Jogger

That looks like a great marathon course! Too bad it's on Bloomsday Sunday - I can't skip Bloomsday.

Retired &  Loving It

pfriese

Tempting, very tempting.

This has been on my marathon to do list for awhile.

I have a big destination marathon in early April, I just need to figure out a way to do both.

Tempting, very tempting. 

dg.

I've wanted to do this ever since a bunch of Cool Runners did it 100 years ago... I can't remember who was there other than Ilene & Fast Forward.

I was wondering too how fast this fills up.   Rehab is long & slow this time.       ha, both body & budget!

will for now at least start the dreaming part.   already training as best as I can.   No that's not exactly true, I haven't been to my gym almost at all, could add in some low impact endurance stuff.   and weights.    oookay.

Mike E

MM #5615

Oh, why did I do California?! Oh, why did I do California?! Oh, why did I do California?!

And if Posie Lady's post doesn't give you enough incentive to sign up . . . . . . YOU GOT ME!!!!!!! This is in my backyard (okay - about 40 mins from my backyard), but I'll be there cheering you all on.  We can figure out some kind of RA get together before the race.

I would think this fills up fast as it is a Boston qualifier and a very beautiful course.

Fortuna - About 30 min from the race site

Eureka - About 40+ min from the race site (with A LOT more options re restaurants and hotels)

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

Calif is a big state - definitely worthy of two marathons, Mike.

I'll be there - it's only about a 3 hr drive afterall! And my house, which is literally on the way  (you have to take the Redwoods Highway out of So. Oregon to get there) is a good stopping point for those driving from farther distances or stopping to leave a car at my house and carpooling with others.

The Ave was my first HM in 2007 and the meetup there was Ileneforward, Fastforward, SLOJim, Johnny, Me, Econo, a girl named Sherry, who I actually shared a room with but she hasn't posted in years, Opie, Labduck and Mrs.LabDuck  . . . and I know I'm forgetting a few folks too. Sorry.

It is a great venue because it has something for everyone - 10K, HM, M. Right along the Eel River which is a perfect spot for soaking your feet/legs in afterwards. Weather is almost always ideal under the canopy of the Redwoods.  It's smallish - around 1000 people perhaps, but the majority are HM'ers and 10K'rs so during the stretch when it's just the marathoners running, you have more space.  It's kind of a no frills race,  but they also don't charge nearly as much as other marathons, but you get a decent shirt and medal and adequate post-race food/beverages.

I am not sure that the race itself actually fills up quickly, but hotels in the area do. If you even wait 2 mos prior to the race date, you'll likely end up being in Eureka.

It really is a well organized marathon, beautiful venue and you'll be about as up close and personal as you can be with a very unique part of the United States.

Tammy

wildchild

Carolyn

I'm pretty sure I'm in! My DH might even come along.  Looks like registration is already open.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Oh, why did I do California?! Oh, why did I do California?! Oh, why did I do California?!

can you count it as NorCal and Socal?  They're definitely two states of mind, if not geographically.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Oh my.

TammyinGP

Oh my, of course I'll be there!

seems part of your sentence got cut off, Econo.

Tammy

dg.

well.   well.   oh my.    well.

my Plan was to Never Again register for a marathon ahead of time....

oooops!