Masters Running

40s On the Run - Go Placidly Amid the Noise and Haste (Wk of 04/06/08) (Read 499 times)

Top 'O the World!

TGIF Everybody! Wow! Lotsa reading & writing goin' on here! I'm not getting so much computer time these days...not allowed to use the computer @ work for "personal" stuff...not that I'm having so much down time there either Smile R2: Yep, when they said "heaviest snow to be in southern metro & eastern plains.." guess they targeted me & you! Wink..my trail was a river yesterday am..really heavy wet stuff here!...several plains schools still closed this am...& round 2 coming in this afternoon (so, running the streets this am!)....btw, I'm very familiar w/your story of growing up on the ranch/career choices..affected by the "Farm Crisis" of the early 80's...me too.. & having grown up in this part of the country & having several relatives/friends still "fighting the fight", & several others that have given it up....DH's Mom still has only about 200 acres left of the "ranch" outside of Lodgepole, NE. I don't remember the original size & I'm doubting any of the "kids" will be taking over when she passes....200 acres isn't much to make a living off of anymore! ...loved the "cow @ large" story! reminds me of a Monday morning call whilst working police dispatch several yrs ago in Scb...about a dozen head from a perimeter farm just north of the hospital got loose (found fallen section of fence) & wandered down Ave B enrt downtown @ around 6am...those w/police radio scanners were treated to some veeery entertaining listening while officers -including one ranch-raised pup on a horse & one city nerd -also on a horse!! Big grin rounded them up!! .....Glad you still have your Dad & he's still active! Means you have excellent DNA! Wink Jewels! Big grin Smile still giggling....& glad you got to go to the concert!! re: dress....I'm thinking it's wine time! Wink Leslie: What'd I miss?! I'm thinking to go back & "cut-n-paste" your descriptions of your excercises....not that I've looked, but are they on your blog?? Tried a couple things during down time @ work...on a massage table is an excellent comfy place to do some stretches, crunches, reverse crunches & things...tried standing on one of those contraptions (bosu) several mos back while pricing a treadmill (that I opted not to buy @ this time)..I'm thinkin'- try surrounding yourself w/wrestling mats before jumping on the thing!! Ya know, the big fat ones!..I'm thinking that those would probably be good for all of us - regardless of the type of running we're doing..Bob has a posting on "Proprioception Training" over on the forum too that has some great stuff (I saved it to favs so I can read more of it later..).....bird in the house!? Big grin Love the entertainment we get from our pets! I used to have a cat that from just a couple of mos old, would bring her "prizes" into the house for further play...starting w/grasshoppers & such..by the time she was a year old, birds, squirrels, etc. were the norm...we had a pet door for the Pomeranians (who would go bananas loudly whenever Cheech had a 'toy'!) so she had easy access to the 'wilderness' for acquisition of said toys! Roll eyes currently, no cats..but bird feeders...had a lge squirrel hanging off of one at the moment....watching them get to it is hilarious! Joe: You're NOT an "old Fart!" - any more than the rest of us!! Wink Tongue Arla: Hey! gonna be in the 70's this next week...time to blow the dust off the Virago Smile Good luck on your 40's push...struggling w/time space continuum to get mine back up to 30's Black eye Good to see ya again Marathon Derrick!! pop in now & again K!? Popped out from my last client yesterday to sunshine! where'd the snow storm go?! (must be hammering Jim! Big grin) grabbed my shoes & Mairead & headed uptown to run w/the Snug Runners around Cheeseman Park...purrfect! 41* F/98% H intermittent breeze (cold!) 3.1 puddle jumping miles @ 9:42 pc (woo-hoo) Thank God it's flat!! Got my t-shirt, pic taken, met new folks, confirmation that I'm on the Bolder Boulder bus..... Have a Great Weekend Everybody!!! Cindy mta: 6.84 @ 12:14pc 35* F/61% H snow & wind squalls (so much for coming in in the afternoon! Roll eyes ) not sure if I'm more wet from sweat or snow! but all layers are in the washing machine! Mairead rather likes this weather! What a goof!!
    Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - that Bosu thing - dang, that thing is pricey! I'm seeing it on the 'net at $99! About the same as a pair of good running shoes - at least it lasts longer. Are you seeing the effects of all that PT when you run? R2 - hilarious story! I worked with a guy that bought a calf in Phoenix that he planned to raise up in Flagstaff. Well the thing escaped in Phoenix, was rounded up, then eventually escaped again once in Flag. It lived on National Forest Land in a feral state until he decided to go on a "steer hunt"! He said it was the gamiest-tasting beef ever! mtnchk - yep, riding time! After this storm it looks like clear sailing for awhile. You have a great backyard for it. I'll be riding near your neck of the woods this summer, going to Gillette, Wy for the BMW national rally, I usually like to get into the Rockies on my annual summer treks. Good news - I've inspired the neighbors to start running seriously! Smile I saw them running one day, asked them if they might think about the Disneyworld marathon, well I must have sparked an idea - now they're training for a half! They've got a running stroller for their toddler, seeing the 3 of them go out is sooo cute! Have a good weekend, everyone! Arla

Ex runner

flatland mountaineer

I know where the snow went. Don't know if we are going racing yet. Plows just went by the house so we can make it to the highway, kinda wish the race was Sunday would give things a chance to melt off a bit. Heading to town to dig dad out.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Man, I do not envy you guys with all that snow. And it’s April 11. Cripes, it’s spring! Nice picture, though, Farmer Jim. Did you dad go for his mile walk?? All this talk about cattle getting out - When I was in high school a few of us went to a friend’s house one evening down a very rural road. I was driving (probably too fast), and coming back to town we rounded a corner and there, in the dark, was a black steer. I remember slamming on the brakes so hard and trying not to skid off the road into the ditch. Scared the living daylights out of us. I don’t know how I missed him or didn’t end up in a wreck. Cows - they’re so mischievous! Cindy - I haven’t been real descriptive of my BOSU exercises previously, but for those who are interested, here goes: 1. Balancing - Alternate standing on one leg on ball side for 1 min. each leg for 3 min. total. Turn it over onto the ball and repeat, standing on flat side. 2. Squats - On ball side, with feet slightly turned out, 3 sets of 20 squats. Turn it over, on flat side, 3 sets of 20 squats. When in squat position, thighs should be parallel w/the floor. Come up about 3/4 of the way - not all the way. 3. One-legged squats - sit on a bench, chair (approx. 20" high). Extend one leg straight out and flexed tight w/heel on ground. Pushing off with other leg, come up about 3/4 of the way, then back down to bench, 3 sets of 20, switch legs. 4. BOSU Bench Squats - Sit on bench, chair, place feet on ball side of BOSU, stand to about 3/4 of the way up, then back down to bench. 3 sets of 20. Flip BOSU over and do same thing on other side. 5. Partial/Pinion Squats - Sit on bench, chair. As fast as you can stand 3/4 of the way, come back down ‘til your butt barely touches the bench, and then up again. 3 sets of 50. 6. Straight Leg Raises - Lie on your back, one leg extended, one leg bent. Flex the extended leg tight, raise a few inches off the floor and hold for 5 seconds, raise a few more inches, hold for 5 seconds, raise a few more inches, hold for 5 seconds, lower to the second position, hold for 5 seconds, lower to the first position, hold for 5 seconds, lower to the floor. Total of 20. Switch legs. (These are so frigging hard!!) 7. BOSU Front Jumps - Stand w/BOSU in front of you. Jump onto it with both feet, then immediately back off to the floor, landing as light as possible. Repeat 20 times. 8. BOSU Side Jumps - Stand to the side of the BOSU. Jump sideways onto the BOSU, immediately jump off to the opposite side, then back across. That’s one set. 20 sets. 9. Leg Raises - If you have access to one of those weighted leg raise things (like in a gym). I have a Bowflex I use. Be sure the pinion is even w/the middle of your knee. Set it at 15 lbs. With one leg, raise until leg is fully extended, hold for 5 seconds, lower part way down, raise and hold for 5 seconds, lower part way. Total of 20. Switch legs. Arla - I've only run trails once since I started this, with today and tomorrow being my second back-to-back long runs, but I am seeing a difference. I can tell my legs are getting stronger, and my core is getting a huge workout as well. In just two weeks I can actually do most of these exercises without having to pause a whole bunch of times. Wednesday, for the first time I did a whole set of 50 of the pinion squats without stopping. And my balance on the BOSU is much better. I was very sore, literally from my neck to my calves, for about a week, but that's pretty much subsided. I ran 1.5 hours this morning for a total of 8.53 miles = 10:33 pace, with a best pace of 7:51. I did most of my PT last night, so my legs were definitely tired this morning, but after the first 30 minutes or so I was able to get into a good groove and felt like I was sailing along quite nicely. It'll be interesting to see how I do tomorrow on the trails for 2.25 hours. It's been hard balancing the PT and running. With the PT, the goal is suppose to be to work up to doing these exercises every day. But at what point does the PT, running 5 days a week with one day including strength training, and cardio one day get to be too much? I'm not sure. These are things I need to discuss further with Coach Bill and PT Galen. I do my PT in the evenings 'cause it takes so long. But I won't do it tonight and, depending on how I feel after our run tomorrow, may hold off until Sunday. Anyway - Sorry this was so long. My minds been running (no pun intended) like crazy for the past few days over this stuff. I guess it finally had to come out. Have a great Friday, everyone.

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

HEY - THE PICTURE FINALLY CHANGED FOR ME, TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Gotta share this! Smile http://video.stumbleupon.com/?s=yeeqw9t6dw&i=6lqibxkc57bxd0akqfjb & thanks for writing that out Leslie! Arla: let me know when you're coming through CO! Jim: Sunday is looking to be 66* & "mild" Wink
              Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                Morning 40's Got a decent LR in this morning. Didn't get started until 8:30. It was already low 70's. Was 81 degrees when I finished up. That was a rough last couple of miles. r2-Now THAT is some snow! Really love that pic. Could be a Christmas postcard. Did I just say, Christmas? Is it not April or what? Love the cow story as well. Hope the weather cooperates for your runs! Stay warm. Cindy-Not quite sure if your weather has decided what it wants to do yet. Can you say Bi-Polar! As usual, you still are getting out there regardless and glad Mariread is enjoying the slush. Arla-Great that you got the neighbors "interested" in some running. When is the Disney marathon anyway? Is it before Christmas or after? Keep up the great work and kudos for setting your sites on some great mileage! Leslie-I agree with Cincy, better surround that BOSU with "wrestling mats" before you jump, spin and land! Woo Hoo! Joe-Glad your having some good runs these days. Hope the knee continues to feel good for ya. Have you decided on your race in May yet? Probably just playing it by ear for now, huh! Hope it works out for ya, but if not theres PLENTY more out there. Have a great day all.....Jewels
                But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

flatland mountaineer

Dad and me both skipped out on yesterdays walks/runs but we got them in today. Mine was a sucky short 2 miler with a sinus headache throbbing the whole way. Oh well makes you appreciate the good runs. We passed on the Colorado 5 k, was thinking about doing it just for a better BB qualifying start but will use my CO race from last fall. Its off my pr by a ways but really doesn't make much difference in starting waves. We might still try to get out of town after we catch our breath a bit but before all heck breaks loose again. Suppose to warm up quickly next week but 80 degrees on a run would do me in for sure.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

80 degrees on a run? Nope, no way. I remember 2 years ago when I was in Yuma and I tried to run when it was in the low 70s. Just about killed me. Farmer Jim - Rental bid on a farm - would that mean you would have more acreage to farm? How many acres do you deal with now? Yesterday and today are absolutely gorgeous! I can't believe this is Humboldt County right now. Yesterday's high was 68, and I'm betting it gets up around there today. Not a cloud in the sky. Unbelievable weather for us this time of year. We usually don't get this kind of weather until mid May then again in September/early October. I'm gonna get my transcription done then go out and soak up some Vitamin D. Cool 2.25 hour trail run this a.m. About an hour into it, I was wishing I'd worn shorts. Finally took my shirt off, and it made a world of difference. I figure we covered about 11 miles. I can definitely tell that my leg stamina is increasing. I push myself on these runs, but at the same time think about what I would be doing if I was participating in an event. As we get closer to our 50k in May, I'll be treating the runs like an event, which means walking all the hills, keeping a nice even steady pace, no matter how fast Karen and Bill go. I looked up the elevation gain on PCTR's web site, and it's a heck of a lot better than Pirates Cove. According to Karen's sister, most rolling hills with no real steep climbs except at the very beginning. It's a month away, and I'm already getting nervous. Crazy, I know. Blush Well, I'm gonna get my work done so I get outside and enjoy this incredible weather while I can. You all have a great weekend!

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance