Masters Running

Thursday, 10.6.16 (Read 30 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Just checking in to tell Ribs how sorry I am to learn about his friend's situation, and how much I wish we could employee RCG's proposed way of sharing the pain, and how glad I am that Ribs is having such a good time getting back in shape.

I also want to wish our friends in the southeast US good luck with hurricane/himicane TwoCat, and to say how thankful I am that it looks like the storm will turn out to sea long before it hits New England.

I dunno what the heck happened, but I'm having a wicked long and busy day today; I didn't have time for a workout, and don't have time to post any more here. So...

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Be productive, Jay.

64F

Ran a mile; walked a bit  x 3 miles.

As for the approaching storm... My cousin's son, Angus, is a freshmen at the University of Charleston. He has evacuated with the family's portable pets to his aunt's (my other cousin) house in Greensboro. While his sister, mom (my cousin) and his dad are staying at home in the Charleston area because they want to be with their horses and Harley's.

My Greensboro cousin's son is a junior at UNC-Wilmington. He has been evacuated and arrived home in Greensboro last evening.

Meanwhile, here in SE Virginia, we are expecting coastal and tidal flooding but no hurricane. I feel fortunate.

DD and DSIL have decided not to travel to Charleston for their anniversary and to have a little stay-cation in DC.

And, just to make all you old timers from Cool Running feel even older... DD (lilmissrosie) is attending her 10 years high school reunion on the 15th!  Remember? She was a junior in high school when I first joined the Boomers.

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

There's an open door for you

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

Marathon Maniac #957

Wow - lilmissrosie is all grown up!

In Ohio, we don't have to evacuate for dangerous storms, we just run down and hide in the basement.  Oh, yeah, I forgot, we don't have a basement. In that case we are directed to stand in doorways.  Hmmmm.

4 miles for me today in 63 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya!

Well, I hope y'all have better sense than the following eejit (and may the cat have the good sense to abandon ship!  --I've read that they can sense earthquakes, wonder about hurricanes?):

John Long, who lives in the Florida town of Cape Canaveral, said he's staying put in spite of the warnings.
           "The hype is going to be worse than the actual storm. I feel I can do quite well," said Long, who owns a bike shop and plans to ride out the storm with his cat in his 32-foot recreational vehicle a half-mile from the ocean. He has lived in the Space Coast area for three decades.

"There's always tremendous buildup and then it's no stronger than an afternoon thunderstorm. I'm not anticipating that much damage," he said Wednesday.

------.....proving cyclists are missing some important rationality brain cells??

As for me, I may have been feeling the falling pressure as I was just sluggish this am.  Meant to do more but cut it off at 6.

And our roads are clogging up; east coasters hit the road and are checking into hotels and motels here.

And so back to my list of wallets to lighten cases to refer today!

and safe trips all you running racers!

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

I think I'd prefer to err on the side of caution and get the heck outta dodge . . . especially if my living quarters was an RV.   But then again, maybe his floats. 

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I think I'd prefer to err on the side of caution and get the heck outta dodge . . . especially if my living quarters was an RV.   But then again, maybe his floats. 

I'm sure it's sturdier than a mobile home in a tornado .  At a half mile from the shore, it better.

sounds like RCG's relatives are being smart (for the most part), at least.

I know you have impending doom to distract you, Amy, but you showed remarkable restraint today.  Hope your power stays on from 7-11 tonight (and 4:30-8:30 tomorrow)

3.1 nekkid miles this morning.  Sore feet have dissapated for the most part.  Still slow, but enjoying the brisk (38°  Wink  weather.  Still shorts weather, especially since the long pants are still in the attic, but gloves and toque felt good.

Heading up to Maine tonight to start the camp closing.  Had intended to do it much later in the month, but DW had a sooner than expected reservation for the first of her new knees on OCtober 19th, so a bucnh of stuff to get finished in the mean time.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Just got back from ortho. follow-up. He was so nice today!  He told me I can start "jogging" on the 15th (that will be 3 months post-op) as long as I take it very easy. I smiled and said thank you. And you know what? I am not going to run again until the 15th. Because my hip was very sore after this morning's run.

Dr. 10th Grader is a pretty good guy.

So. I have been wearing my bedazzled Cleveland Indians shirt all day (and yesterday) but don't you Sox fans worry.

Here's why.  

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

Sayhey! MM#130

Thank you Kevin!   Thank you, thank you.  Yes!  I was!  (Restrained.)

....but then my chum Barb waived the red flag in front of me.......and I just have to say, I am anxious.  Those stats are cray-zee!

Seriously, marj and henrun....did you click on Barb's link?  It gives the Indians the odds, 54% to 46% on the 7th, when Price pitches, but gives us the odds, 61% to 39% for the next game, on the 9th, when CLAY pitches.  I mean, he's been much better, but .  You know.

AH, ok, thanks, feeling better.        Still just rain here.   Really glad I decided not to run the Southernmost Marathon in the Keys this year.  I have over the past 3 years.  It's this Saturday at 5:30 am.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

4 miles, mostly easy with 0.5 mile thrown in the middle at a pace I'd like to run the last 5 miles of the HM at.  We'll see.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Jlynne and buehrle thank you both for the marathon suggestions. I signed up for Indianapolis today. See below for details.

buehrle sounds like great news on the running front!

La Tortuga just checked the rule book. No rule against running while the laundry machine is on! You are clear to go. 

coastwalker is not out pre dawn to work out! The first sign of the apocalypse has arrived! Run! No racewalk! Um, no, um drive! Yes DRIVE! No, no. Better yet fly! Fly where? Apocalypse? Hmm, whole world doomed. Get on a space ship fast!

Holly S. Glad to hear you are having reasonably nice weather. Whatever its merits a doorway does not seem all that protective.

AamosY yep, always a few (actually a lot) of people who think this is just another false alarm. Generally, they are right. The problem is the one time they are wrong is often the last time.

stumpy77 good luck to your DW on her new knee. Happy camp closing.

I ran 6 miles this morning with my old training partner. I am going to need to adjust somehow. She was really slow today and keeping my pace back with hers was actually pretty stressful. Other than stop running with her I am not sure what to do. It is nice to have her for company once again.

In marathon news: I signed up for the Indianapolis Monumental Marathon today. I have a friend who lives in Indianapolis and I will meet him for dinner the night before the race. He was good enough to book us a table for 5:30 at what he tells me is a good Italian restaurant. Alas, I will have a simple pasta dinner so the chef's talents will be wasted on me. Post-race, the next day, I do not have any plans as yet. I do not suppose anyone from the master's forum is in town?

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Dave59

I ran 2.15 miles this morning and then I was mugged by a massage therapist. She would locate a tender area in my back and then drive her elbow into it with as much effort as she could muster.  (I assume it was an elbow. It felt like an elbow.)

Then I drove all the way into the office because there were "important" meetings but 1 minute before the meetings they were canceled. So I got in my car, drove home, and took the afternoon off.

Marathon Maniac #957

Twocat - wow, that is so tempting!  But DH just told me that I am not allowed to make a 4-hour round-trip if I am not actually running the race.  Miles on the car, bleh, bleh, bleh.  He is very touchy on the subject.  Why don't you come to Ashville in March and run with me and Amy?

RCG - I read "Ortho" and thought, "she has braces?"

Okay, I am off to grab a crowbar so that I can wedge the kitchen sink into my carry-on....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Okay, I am off to grab a crowbar so that I can wedge the kitchen sink into my carry-on....

Oh crap!  That reminds me...I have to pack!

Catching up since last Sunday's post.  Holly, nice homecoming pictures of your daughter and her friends.  Like others, I can't believe how fast she's grown up from the little girl whose pictures we used to see.  LaT, good 5K.  twocat, speedy half.  ribs, I'm sorry to hear about your friend''s cancer.  Tammy, congrats to your team.

Nice long runs for Holly, evan, Aamos, mari, and wild.

This weekend, we are joining a college friend and his wife to attend homecoming at the college we attended.  It's been 50 years since we graduated.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS