Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 6.22.17 (Read 32 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Too much going on this morning to make Jay's list but with weather keeping on getting better-and-better after the rainiest winter on record, after reading jay's opening salvo for the running day, can't wait to make up for it later in the afternoon.  Wasn't going to get distracted by any techo stuff I don't understand anyway either but, as usual, tramps enticement about cell phones as pedometers turns out to interesting enough tp want to try it out sometime. Still don't understand it though.

2C - me too re blood donation frustration.

after vowing never again when I was up a little southeast of Erika-land and went through what you did, I went in for another try down here when rosie had a Boomer Blood Bank list going.  They told me never to come back again and, so far, I haven't, . . .  and just hope I'll never need any either from the nice people who do.

Speaking of opening salvos, the first round of the annual herring-fest at the Swedish Cultural Center was so good last evening, we're going back for the smorgasbord on Friday.  With five different preparations, no way to say no.  Oddly enough, even though they are from Alaska stocks, I've never seen any herring in any fish market, grocery store or restaurant up there (or here in Seattle either) but, in addition to the caviar, they are very popular in Japan.  In fact, there several other fish species of abundance over here that we don't eat but they do after we harvest-and-export over there for them.  Before I went over there, I always just thought herring were only good for salmon and crab bait.  Did I ever mention how much I love fish?  <<<(ed note: stop saying that as a ploy to get a possible jay comment: Mr. Jay - please ignore him or he'll be posting more about fish more than running)>>>  <<<(as if he ever posts about running anyway)>>>

ps 2C - maybe try to count how many of those fresh, unbelievably delicious cherries you devour over the weekend in Omak.  NPR had an interview yesterday indicating they're harder to stop eating that potato chips once you start. good luck.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

2Kitty - That stinks about the blood donation.  I used to give platelets on a regular basis, but that's a 2-hr stint and can only be done during the week.  My job years ago allowed it, but not now.

Re bursa - I don't think it's false positive.  The hammies are feeling relatively good (the right gets a bit cranky), but the bursa pain is very specific in location and symptoms.  It's just going to be a long process because, well, I have to actually sit sometimes and that's the worst.  Oh well!  Things could definitely be worse, so I try to keep it all in perspective.

An hour of core/ST this a.m.  I like the soreness I get afterward.  Tells me I've actually accomplished something. 

G.I. Jane is one of my favorite movies:

Urgayle: Pain is your friend, your ally, it will tell you when you are seriously injured, it will keep you awake and angry, and remind you to finish the job and get the hell home. But you know the best thing about pain?
      Jordan: Don't know!
      Urgayle: It lets you know you're not dead yet!

It's a beautiful day outside, but I can't open my windows 'cause tree right outside my office is in full bloom and the pollen is killing me!   *sniff* *sneeze* *itch*

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

catwhoorg

Labrat

I used to give blood regularly.

I cannot give in the US, because of the years I lived back home in the UK, and therefore considered a possible carrier of vCJD (human form of BSE).

When I do travel back to visit my parents, I cannot donate there as they consider me a risk for West Nile Virus. (Though I was reading that this has been recently changed. I need to check next time I visit).

So as of now I can't donate anywhere.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

An hour of core/ST this a.m.  I like the soreness I get afterward.  Tells me I've actually accomplished something. 

Urgayle: Pain is your friend, your ally, it will tell you when you are seriously injured, it will keep you awake and angry, and remind you to finish the job and get the hell home. But you know the best thing about pain?
          Jordan: Don't know!
          Urgayle: It lets you know you're not dead yet!

This reminded me of one of my favorite quotes from General George Patton:  "Now if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up. It is always tired morning, noon and night. But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired. When you were younger the mind could make you dance all night, and the body was never tired. You have always got to make the mind take over and keep going."

Just trying to get psyched up for going to hang out with my 3 grandsons for a few hours until their dad gets home.  They always seem to make me very tired

.......herring-fest??....I'm Intrigued........

next time

we have a chittlin-fest I'll let you know

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

.......herring-fest??....I'm Intrigued........

next time

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

• yesterday: 8:20 / 7:42 / 7:42 / 7:42 / 7:42
                •        today: 8:20 / 7:42 / 7:42 / 7:42 / 7:42

And didn't you say you couldn't do that again if you tried?  So, tomorrow, if you do this same workout, try really hard to not try to do it again.

I did another 8 miles at a more comfortable pace, tonight.  It was raining all day and on the way home, I was afraid I was going to have to break that #1 Rule of Running, but it stopped right when I was ready to go...whew...I hate breaking rules.

Okay--gotta go.  I'm watching the NBA Draft while texting back and forth with Ryan.  He loves basketball.  I, actually, used to coach him when he was a kid...which might be why he had to switch to cross country.  See ya!

TammyinGP

David's watching the NBA Draft also. would you like his cell so you can text him also?. 

Tammy

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

next time

yep, sorry I looked that one up,

especially after hearing about the latest doping scandal.

http://www.cbssports.com/general/news/poop-doping-yes-poop-doping-could-become-a-thing-in-competitive-cycling/

they call it "hormone-yaki (fry)" in the Far East and when I proposed it once over there to a pompous official visiting from the States who said he wanted to eat "local," he said he'd been told by his physician that ingesting any innards could have a fatal allergic reaction.  So I got it for me and he got squid legs but, after both were unceremoniously slapped down on the table on greasy plates for us to pick from, mine looked so much like his but better that, before I could tell him what they really were, he started raving about how good the portions he was taking from the wrong plate were.  Fortunately, his physician was wrong.  Another time, when i tried to dupe., . . I mean introduce another arrogant crumb from bureaucratic upper crust to some of the other fine delicacies over there, he got up and walked out, leaving me to pay the bill, . . . and have the full serving to myself.  mmmmmmmm.

ps - I'll tell you my poisonous puffer-fish fugu stories sometime.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

Ran the mile race tonight. Felt a little better than last year but still disappointed in how much I slow down in that third lap. Tried real hard to kick at the end and break 7, but didn't do it. My watch shows 7:05 but the official results aren't posted yet. I'm pretty sure I won my age group because my main competitor, Sharon, was behind me. But, we'll see. There were an incredible number of kids there tonight! Race heats started early with the sub-9-year-olds doing the 800 meters starting at about 6:20, and my heat still didn't start till 7:15 or so. Sure felt warm out there, temp was about 75° and nice when the sun went behind some trees and we got some shade.

Marathon Maniac #957

Tet - fecal transplant?  Yikes!

Erika - nice racing!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."